What Are Cheap Ways To Keep Your Computer Virus Free?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by suegiplaye • Jul 13, 2015.

1. suegiplaye

suegiplayeMember

Threads:
    This is a problem you cannot really avoid. Every time I get a computer it ends up acting slow because it does not have a virus cleaner. Plus when others use my computer I end up getting unwanted downloaded stuff. It is sad that websites will mislead people with "free games" only to infect your computer with viruses. What is a cheap way to fix this?

2. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    There are really good antivirus out there that you can download for free so you can totally get away with not paying for antivirus anytime. Also you can install pop.up blocker on your browser to get rid of those annoying pop.ups and ads which totally has virus on them sometimes. :)

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Computers don't start slowing down just because of viruses. A variety of things can cause slowdowns, including registry errors, tons of background processes, and outdated hardware. The cheapest way to avoid viruses is to simply not visit risky websites or download unknown files or open unknown email attachments. I haven't had an antivirus on my laptop for multiple years now, and I'm virus free. Malwarebytes, Bitdefender, and a variety of other affordable programs will keep your machine clean and free of viruses.

4. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    The best thing that you could do is try to bring it to someone and have them clean it. You should have bought something that would have been able to protect your laptop. If you're going to spend all that money, you might as well make sure that you aren't wasting it. I mean the biggest problem that all laptops have are virus' which is why you want to make sure you have something on your laptop.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that the cheapest way to keep one's computer free is to learn how computers and the internet works. Now, it may be free but it may be a little bit more time-consuming. I think it took me a few years total to learn what was suspicious, and what was ok to click on, and ultimately how to avoid viruses.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Try this.

Download Sandboxie.

Sandboxie creates a virtual sandbox where you can run programs and do whatever you want without writing anything to your hard drive. Once you are done browsing or downloading any programs you could either empty the sandbox [delete everything] or move files you want to keep to your hard drive. This I'm sure will keep your computer virus free.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Virus cleaners are only part of the solution - even the most up to date anti-virus software can only detect and catch a small percentage of the total number of viruses/malware out there. The virus has to first be detected in the wild before they can examine it and add it to their virus database, which they then publish out to their subscribers. That said, something is better than nothing, so you should still have a good antivirus installed.

If it's a cost issue, then I would suggest checking out sites like WindowsDeal.com or Giveawayoftheday.com who frequently give out popular antivirus programs with free subscriptions ranging from 3 months to a year. Once your subscription runs out, you can just try one of the other antiviruses being given away on those same sites. I would say at least once a week they are featuring one or two of them.

Sandboxie is a great tool as well.

Another thing I like to use is VirusTotal.com. You can upload files to it (up to about 128mb) and it will scan them across 50+ virus scanning databases. I like to use this before installing any programs on my computers from publishers I don't know very well.

8. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    My cheapest and most effective way of keeping a computer virus free is wiping it and switching to linux. There are lots of potential linux distros that are suitable for users that are not tech wizards. They are easy to use, free, and not prone to viruses. Plus, because it's lighter than windows and takes less power, it can make even an older system use its resources more efficiently. If the system is already virus laden, installing linux to wipe the harddrive can make it all better.

9. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    This is the best piece of advice. Stack up all the protective software you want, but eventually something will slip through until you learn what to click and what not to click. Meander around some of the seedier parts of the internet for long enough (heck, even some of the reputable places can be sketchy, if you show up at the wrong time) and it becomes pretty obvious what's good and what's bad.

One of my major rules of thumb is to avoid sites that bombard you with pop-ups. If there's a pop-up a few seconds after you arrive somewhere, it's better to close the site down and go somewhere else.

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    Exactly. I think that a lot of novices think that they can just buy a top market anti virus software programme, and then that means they are safe from any and everything from that moment on. So they are even more likely to click on anything, and not really pay attention to what sort of activities or websites are likely to lead to something malicious, not understanding that anti-virus' are as up to date as the previous newest infection. Hackers are always coming up with new viruses and crypting the ones that are detectable so that they are not detectable.

11. Frank Z

Frank ZNew Member

Threads:
    Safe computing is definitely priority number one and most virus scanners are junk (really). The two I like are AVG Free and Avira... They've gotten a bit more naggy over the years but the do a good job cleaning. Malwarebytes is also very good at cleaning up the various adware...

12. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I currently have a licensed anti-virus software although it is not updating the virus list anymore since January. I am thinking of installing a free anti-virus software and one suggested is AVG. It is free and all I need is to download it from the internet. As per those who are using it, the only drawback are the ads that it displays. I still have to test it to know the complete details.

13. DreekLass

Threads:
    If I am ever going to pay for any type of anti virus software then I feel like it needs to b bulletproof, which no antivirus software ever is, because of the fact that hackers are always advancing their techniques and get-arounds. I can get them for free, so that is the route that I take.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I just use free software but I make sure that I get popular brands so I don't end up getting some of the scammy ones. Usually I'll just peruse some tech sites or blogs or maybe even to to somewhere where I can ask for specific advice, but usually there are already discussions for it and the most popular or favored programs usually are easy to spot. Most of the time I already have free software when I get the laptop or computer and that helps too since all I'd have to do afterwards is to update.

15. suegiplaye

suegiplayeMember

Threads:
    Thanks everyone for the advice. If I am ever going to pay for any form of anti virus program, then I would love it to be bulletproof, which no antivirus software ever is, considering the fact the fact that hackers are continually advancing their methods and get-arounds. I will be able to get them free of charge, so that is the route that I take.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Try using Avast anti virus plus Key Scrambler and Spy Shelter, those softwares will help you detect and delete any virus you might have on your PC.

17. evelination

evelinationMember

Threads:
    The cheapest way you could possibly consider is to actually manage your online activity accordingly and not tread too much if at all those dubious sites we're all accustomed with. Don't believe in antiviruses... they're just not reliable for the most part and are just eating a lot of your computer's essential resources for nothing.

18. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I generally stay away from websites with illegal downloads. On top of that, I tend to avoid free offers on the net which demand I install software. Doing those two things normally keeps my computer virus-free. The last real virus threat was a couple of years ago when I accidently downloaded a virus from a Facebook hacker. It took a boot-scan to get rid of it.

19. serbog

serbogMember

Threads:
    You can get anti viruses that are free which are really good to use for a personal computer. Also the best way to secure yourself is to be careful of what you are downloading and what websites you visit. Don't visit shady looking websites because most of them have viruses. Also don't click on ads that say "You have won 1 million dollars. Click here to get them." because they can be viruses also.

20. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    You can try free anti virus. I have used free anti virus for many years and I did not have any problems on my computer. Free antivirus works as good as paid antivirus. If you don't have internet security system, you need to stay away from sites offering illegal downloads. You also have to avoid checking sites that opens too many pop up window.