What are some foods that are good to "curb" hunger?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Thejamal • Oct 27, 2014.

1. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    So while I know there are foods like nuts and almonds that do great to curb an appetite until another meal, I've been craving eating something else to replace them as my 2:00 snack. So what are some good snack foods that help curb hunger?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We always have bananas here so I just eat 1 or 2 when I'm hungry. I think oatmeal can also help curb hunger. This link lists some of the foods that can help curb hunger:

3. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I eat fruit if I get hungry in between meals too. You could try eating guacamole with some carrots or chips. Or maybe eat some peanut butter and an apple. Small amounts of those foods make me feel full and it holds me over until dinner.

4. kwriter93

kwriter93Member

Threads:
    One of the best foods to curb hunger is peanut butter, it's loaded in protein. When I was in school, I would always get off of the school bus and eat a spoonful of peanut butter to hold off my hunger until my mom got home and cooked dinner. You can also drink more water, I've heard that drinking water often times curbs your hunger by settling fake feelings of hunger, often brought on by being slightly dehydrated. Bodies work so weird lol.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Soup is a great way to snack because you get to fill up but it's mostly only water and you don't end up starving yourself. You'd have to try and make them yourself though if you do not want the extra sodium that comes with instant brands. Another good snack is crackers. I have a variety of them and I snack on each depending on which ones I am getting tired of. There is a vegetarian cracker that I like called. Luxury and it tastes great, and not really that much different from regular crackers and possibly even better.

6. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Fruits are good. When I need a snack and I feel like eating something healthy, I grab an apple or a banana. I also eat nuts sometimes like almonds and walnuts. :) Nuts are very rich in protein, so they will really make you feel full for a long time.

7. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    You could try juice. Just mix all of the fruits that you like and add some milk to make it smoother. You could also make a fruit and vegetable mixed juice. When you are working or staying up at night for assignments, you tend to need the extra boost, so make the juice before you start your activities, and then leave them in the fridge for when you snack later.

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really eat foods. What I do is I drink plenty after until I get so much full that when I fill up stomach, I will immediately throw it up. But the downside of this is that I pee a lot after some minutes, which is really really annoying. But I find it helpful when I have to pull an all-nighter during which I tend to feel hungry minute by minute and hour by hour. When I have to go to the restroom a lot, I feel alert and I sleepiness goes away, which helps me get through the night 'til morning 'til I have to leave for school, 'til I get back home.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Although I love nuts of all kinds, I don't think I could be disciplined enough to only eat a few of them as a snack, I would eat way too many before I felt full. They pack a lot of calories but they don't provide much in terms of overall volume, so I still feel hungry since they don't fill my stomach.

Hard boiled eggs usually seem to hit the spot, but I try to avoid eating them, if I already had eggs for breakfast. Maybe one more as a snack is fine, but I don't want to be eating more than three eggs a day if possible.

A cup of soup will hit the spot, but even a cup of plain broth in a mug is nice too - it's filling, I take my time sipping it, and it's low in calories and fat.

10. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    One of my favorite no-guilt snacks is celery. I can dip it in a bit of ranch dressing or mix up some french onion dip and go to town. Yes, there are calories in the dipping sauces -- but very few in the celery. In fact you actually burn calories eating celery because your stomach burns more calories trying to break it down than are actually in the celery itself.

11. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    Carbohydrates release energy slowly and make you feel full for longer. So, pasta meals or a sandwich are a good option. Avoid foods that are high in sugar as they are only a quick fix for hunger.

12. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    When I am hungry and want to have a snack, I usually eat apples, nuts, bananas, sandwiches, biscuits, etc. to cure my hunger. My snacks usually get change with the weather condition. In winter, I would love to have hot soup, milk tea, coffee with cakes, etc. In summer, I would love to have fruit juice, soy milk, and sushi.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Peanut butter, rice and oatmeal are some foods that curb hunger. You could prepare your own containers of rice or oatmeal at home, or now you can buy microwaveable to go containers of Uncle Ben's rice or Quaker oatmeal. Rice and oatmeal are like a warm roof over your stomach. They're cheap and keep you full.

14. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Popcorn is good for filling you up for very few calories. Nuts are also good if you want something with lots of good oils as it will stick with you much longer.

15. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I find dairy products to be great for curbing hunger, just eat a slice of cheese or drink a glass of skim milk and the hunger pangs go away. It's something that's part of our nature, our body apparently digests the proteins in milk more slowly than most other foods, that is why babies are sated for a long time after breastfeeding.

16. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I try to stay away from dairy products as much as I possible can, because thanks to my operation when I was 9/10, a part of my bowels were removed, meaning that my stomach and nether regions do not deal with dairy products very well. I don't have a food group that I know to be filling as it is one food. One fruit actually. I find that whenever I have a banana with anything, I am left feeling so full that I cannot finish eating it. I have to put it down no matter how nice it may taste.

17. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I would certainly vouch in favor of salad. While salad may seem light, it actually does an adequate job of curbing hunger, especially if you add in some tuna or chicken to the mix. Sometimes I end up just eating salad and accompanying ingredients with it for meals and it does hit the spot on most days. Plus you can't go wrong with it, as it's one of the healthiest options you can select.

18. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    One of the snack foods that I always have with me is an organic granola bar. We buy them in sets of three and they come in several varieties. I always carry one with me when I go out if I need a quick little snack. It "curbs" my hunger and actually provides a little bit of good energy as well.

19. Rhoda D'ettore

Rhoda D'ettoreMember

Threads:
    Proteins fill you up. It could be ham, chicken, tuna, eggs, yogurt. The more solid the food, the better. Liquid foods and juice will digest faster, which means you will be empty faster. Add any of these to a big salad and you have a great snack.