What Are The Best Batteries To Save Money?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Ke Gordon • Jun 11, 2016.

1. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My friend came down with some standard batteries for the smoke detectors. I chastized him for not getting alkaline or energizer because even though the standard batteries were cheaper initially I don't think they will last very long. I think it is always better to spend a bit more and get alkaline or energizer batteries...as they last longer what do you think?

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've experimented with these in the past and I have come to the conclusion that more expensive batteries of last way longer than their cheaper counterparts. Energizer would be my go to for the higher tier brand as I've compared it against a brand called Eveready and the latter only lasts me around half of the length I get to use energizer batteries for. I think for smoke detectors they might not be as obvious in terms of the difference but if it were me I'd definitely just buy the best brand of batteries considering what you stand losing if it fails is much more expensive than just a few dollars extra on some AA batteries.

3. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I just watched a consumer report clip that talked about them testing batteries. It turns out that the best value batteries are the Kirkland ones by Costco. They are only 12.99 for a large pack of AA batteries, where the same pack would be 19.99 for Duracell. My son uses a lot of batteries in his controller for his Xbox so I am always on the lookout for good deals on batteries. So far he hasn't noticed any difference between the Duracell batteries he used to use and the Kirkland one he uses now.

4. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I think dry batteries are the best and by this I mean those ones which are rechargeable. I have had experience with EverReady and found their products to be fine and cost effective given their quality. But you could find a Lithium ion battery, it would be the best with regard to battery life and functionality.

5. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    My family's been using rechargeable batteries for years. Our oldest AA batteries are almost four years old. My brothers used to play with Tamiya racing cars when we were in high school and he found rechargeable batteries and rechargers for them so we've been using those so we won't have to keep buying and buying commercial ones. My brother tends to find the best stuff because he explores markets a lot.

6. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmyMember

Threads:
    When it comes to batteries we always use the Energizer brand and although it is expensive it is worth it. And we had already proven its great benefit for the longest time that we are using batteries in all items at home that need the use of a battery.

7. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, alkaline! And as for price in the store, I have looked at buying online and I can't really find a better deal than what they offer at Sam's Club. The online stores I have checked out so far, just really aren't that great of a price.

8. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I like to use rechargeable batteries. I got tired of always having to buy batteries. Rechargeable batteries may be more expensive upfront but they save you more in the long run. You are not always buying batteries for electronics and it is simple to put them in a charger and they are ready the next day. I have a charger that fits four batteries at a time. I have the best luck with these and they last for a long time.

9. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    I have to disagree about the brands. I can never buy by the brand anymore because there are really good batteries out there that last just as long or better for half the price.

I started going to the dollar store to see if I could get some cheap batteries. I found a pack of 16 double A batteries for $4 dollars, and saw energizer 8 pack for $8 dollars, it was not worth the price for that brand. I just needed the batteries to do one thing, and they did.

I've tested them over the year and really noticed no difference between some off brand batteries. The batteries I've had the most problems with were the $1 dollar packs of 10. That is the worst deal for batteries, they died within hours each.

10. ashley0323

ashley0323Member

Threads:
    We are heavy electronic users, and go through a TON of batteries every month. We find that spending the few bucks here and there every time we need batteries is expensive!! They are not cheap and they do not last long either. We now buy rechargeables. Yes, you spend more initially, but you may not have to buy them again for a couple years.

11. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    It entirely depends on your devices energy requirements, a pair of AA or AAA size alcaline batteries would last more than a year by feeding a T.V controller, but just a few weeks for a gaming wireless controller. For the latter, rechargeable batteries actually are a money saving purchase in the long run even despite of higher initial costs.