What are the best sports for kids to be involved in?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by jdwriter • Aug 16, 2014.

1. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    It is coming up on soccer season again, and my 7 year old will be trying it out this time around. We've already done baseball and Tae Kwon Do, but I wanted to give this a try; my boys all really need to get some energy out.

We do let them play outside a lot, riding bikes etc, but they still have tons of energy at the end of a day; sports seem the best focus.

Any suggestions?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know if there's such a thing as 'best' sports for kids of that age. Most kids I know like running around or at least the games they love most require that they run but not get tired too quickly because then they stop playing. Is there a sport that can get them that? Maybe something like swimming, a little bit of soccer . . . and gymnastics?

3. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    I think soccer is a great idea. I used to play soccer for 10 years and I also started when I was 7. Soccer helps them get rid of their energy and it also builds great friendships. Most of my close friends are people I know from playing soccer and I wouldn't be the same person I am today if I didn't start soccer back then.

4. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    As people have already pointed out, soccer is a great way to use their excess energy! If they don't like it that much, you could try signing them up for basketball. I enjoyed playing it when I was in high school! Another great sport is field hockey, although I'm not sure how great that would be for younger kids. But it's not hard neither intense, so there shouldn't be a problem with it.

I hope they like soccer (or football as we in Europe call it), it's an awesome sport!

5. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I have both of my sons playing softball. I like this sport because it keeps them entergic and keeps them moving. They sleep very well and to me it less injuries you have to worry about. Lately I have seen so much and so many injuries in basketball and football which I lknow are great sports but It makes you wonder.

6. AugustGreig

AugustGreigMember

Threads:
    The best sport would really be the one that the individual child was the most interested in, had the most fun participating in, and/or was the most adept at. Every child is different, so there is no one right answer. Martial arts are great for learning discipline and spirituality. Things like gymnastics are great because they are sort of non-competitive, in that you are really just competing with yourself. And team sports teach teamwork, which is a really important skill to have.