What are the Risks of Jail-breaking or Unlocking Iphone 4s

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Jatelo2 • Aug 14, 2012.

1. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    As is illegal as Apple views it, Unlocking or what we may call jail-breaking an Iphone is the only way to be free from both Apple's and the carrier restrictions. That fact alone has influenced me to consider jail-breaking my Iphone, but not before I know if there are hidden risks. If you have an Unlocked Iphone or Know about any hidden risks, please share the information. Thanks in advance

2. neovlad

neovladMember

Threads:
    First of all jail breaking an iPhone is not illegal there are some things that are illegal jail breaking is not one of them. There are really no risks if you do not like your iPhone jail broken you can always reset it on iTunes. If you have more questions feel free to ask.

3. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I know if something happens when you jailbreak your device Apple won't fix it if it's under warranty. I wouldn't try to jailbreak and iPhone though it's better to do that with an Android phone. The worst thing that can happen is your phone will "brick", which means it's as useful as a brick because it won't work anymore. That's the worst thing that can happen. If you follow the directions on YouTube it's fairly easy to avoid this, but there's always the risk of breaking it permanently.

4. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, the previous poster is correct. You can easily brick your phone if you don't know what you are doing. Most of the time you can reset it on iTunes but there is never a guarantee that you didn't do any major damage and turn it into a $500 paperweight.

5. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    Well I think if you jail break it, you warranty would be useless. I don't think that they would fix it.

Happen to me when I rooted my Android. I dropped it in the water and touchscreen stop working. Couldn't get it fixed. I had to buy a whole new phone.

So I wouldn't do it.

6. FlipKup

FlipKupMember

Threads:
    All I can remember from my best buddies' warnings was that it voids your warranty.

Resetting everything through iTunes does not guarantee that Apple will not find out whether you've tampered with jail-breaking. That is the biggest risk you are taking. If you feel that you want to be free of restrictions and etc. at that cost, then go right ahead!

7. neovlad

neovladMember

Threads:
    Yes it can void the warranty but you can always reset is on iTunes and get it fixed that way but if you chose not to it is your choice.

8. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    So there is a possibility of resetting it from the iTunes. But what about the statement I gather from other posters that my phone might 'brick' and that Apple also might find out out that the device had been tampered with should I consider resetting it after jail-breaking it?