What are you doing to help lower your monthly fees for your gas and electric bills?

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by clewand550 • Apr 15, 2012.

1. Shaggz235

Shaggz235Member

Threads:
    This is a good one. I usually try and avoid heat in the winter and keep the thermostat pretty low, sounds crazy but my apt stays relatively warm since I am on the second floor. I can go a few months and the bill will be around 40-60 dollars. If the heat were on all the time it would probably be around 140.

2. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    We just bought some drying racks for our clothes and are using them to let clothes airdry. I just finish them in the dryer to soften with a dryer sheet. We also don't use the dryer on the dishwasher. I make the kids hand dry the dishes and put them away. I turned the heat down and made the kids actualy get dressed in clothes and sweaters . I bought them slippers to keep feet warm. In the summer we run more fans and turn the air up. I also keep drapes drawn to keep sunlight out. It stays cooler that way. I mist myself with a water bottle and sit in front of the fan.

3. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    I only use cold water to wash clothes and drying racks to dry them. I never use heated drying on the dishwasher. I cook several days worth of meals at one time. Then they can reheat in microwave. That saves on oven and cooling costs. I grill out in summer more and make lots of fesh salads. In the winter when I use the oven I leave the door open after I am finished to warm up the house.

4. Gonzalo

GonzaloActive Member

Threads:
    Like some other people, I use energy efficient light bulbs. My family and I always turn off lights and other devices when we are not using them.
    Moreover, I bought a specific device which reduces the usage of electricity, it affects mostly fridges, ACs, fans, etc

5. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    You *could* purchase those things that fit into the gaps under your doors and windows to help seal out drafts. Many times heating bills are really high because of drafts. You can save electricity by purchasing energy-efficient light bulbs and by turning off lights after leaving the room.

6. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Do energy-efficient light bulbs actually work for you? I have tried to use them, but they make my eyes hurt and it hard to get things done when using them.

#26May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
  7. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    I like this idea. We have replaced most of our light bulbs to LED light bulbs awhile ago. We have noticed a different. Thank you for sharing this idea with everyone.

8. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    These are all great suggestions. Every little bit helps to save money and save energy. We don't think about how much you can actually save by unplugging a phone charger, ipod charger, toasters and other appliances. It is an excellent idea to wash your clothes in cold water which is what I have been doing for over a year now. Great suggestions.

9. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    Unplugging things when they are not being used for one thing. I also like to keep the blinds open for the extra light during the day - well except for when it is 100 degrees and keeping the sun out is the only option to stay cooler! I only run my dishwasher after 11. Supposedly the demand is down after a certain hour and it is supposed to be cheaper at that time. I do a lot of things really to not waste electric. No lights on in rooms that don't need them on at the moment (have to remind the kids.) These are the main ways I save on my electric, besides just all around using less.

10. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    The biggest change I made was to switch all of my light bulbs to florescent bulbs. The drop in our electric bill was obvious and dramatic. It took some time to get used to the difference in light, as it was a little bit dimmer than what we were used to, but it was worth it.