What are your favorite plants for gardening?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Deeme • May 14, 2013.

1. Deeme

DeemeNew Member

Threads:
    I have just recently Moved to my new house and I have been doing a lot of work around the place and with The House were some gardens that were in really bad shape. It took me a couple of days, But I finally got it all in order! I am currently germinating some seeds and should be ready to plant in a week. I have 72 different perennials all germinating and so far only a few Morning Glory's have started to sprout. I'm also thinking of planting some small tree's, But not sure what to get. I am new to gardening and I know I will just learn as a go along! Now only if I could tell the difference between a bush and a shrub? Or at least some of the names!

2. marciana

marcianaMember

Threads:
    My favorite plants are the bromeliads. They are not hard to grow in the kind of climate my place has. It can be under the sun or indoor, both places perfect to store/ grow it. It Some bromeliads have flowers, some do not have. Though it really takes time to see a flower budding, the plant itself looks nice even without it. The leaves are well-arranged and there is less maintenance needed.

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I have always loved roses and they are not as fragile as you may think. You may want to spend some time in your local nurseries to learn about what types of dwarf trees will do well in your area. Learn about the types you like and what conditions they need for light and soil. Also take some time in studying where you want to plant them. You don't want to plant something like a tree too close to your home or driveway that the roots will cause any damage. Good luck with your garden!

4. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Dissn-it I know what you mean by that. I have always avoided roses since I had no space. Now, I got myself one plant and now I am always buying roses.. I am addicted to them.. The varieties that are available today is amazing.. Yeah . I love roses.. but I love all plants.

5. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Seventy-two different perennials? Where on earth are you keeping all of these seeds? Your new home most have quite a lot of space. I can't imagine having so many plants to take care of. I can barely keep up the few that I have space for, but to answer your question, my favorites are those that are easiest to care for, lol.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like Bromeliads, Alocasia, Taro and Peace Lilies. I only have about 10 plants in all, including some herbs. I don't have a lot of space or free time to do gardening. I love plants, but I don't think I could take care of more than 10 right now.

7. Soliloquy

SoliloquyMember

Threads:
    I like growing fruits and vegetables (though I haven't had much success with vegetables lately). I have several blueberry bushes, two blackberry and one raspberry. And I just got two dwarf apple trees!

8. kdlt

kdltNew Member

Threads:
    It doesn't save me any money on grocery bills but I love tending to Venus Flytraps. They're sweet little dudes and they eat all of the gross bugs. They're good summer plants. I also keep roses and I just bought 2,000 ladybugs to put all over my roses to save them from aphids.

9. Keely222

Keely222New Member

Threads:
    I'm in the same boat as you. I have just started gardening myself. So far I have planted a few edibles, but like you, would like to plant a few trees. On my searches I keep hearing that the key to success with planting new trees is to find out what is native to your area. I found this website (

) that suggests the best trees that grow in your area. I have never bought anything from them so I can't rate the quality of their products, but it could definitely be a good starting point.

10. tiffanyfaming

tiffanyfamingNew Member

Threads:
    Jasmine, small white flowers. I have one in my little garden. It's easy to plant and I have to say that its smell is really good. Furthermore, lilies are the right summer flower.

11. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    That sounds lovely. I like planting fruit trees and vegetables and herbs. I really love flowers and think they're pretty, but I find it much easier/cheaper to grow plants that my family can eat. My water bill is pretty high already so if I am going to use water on my yard, I like to know that I get something in return.

12. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I really love flowers and most other plants, they are so pretty and it feels good to see the results when you plant them, but I would have to say my favorite would be planting things like peppers, tomatoes, squash,cactus etc.. things that we can eat and that will save us money on groceries and are fresh. I have always loved planting these and they taste so much better when they are homegrown.

13. daniel.d

daniel.dBanned

Threads:
    Amazing!!! You should check out

, I am sure you should be finding products that would help you meet your Gardening requirements.

14. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    There is a difference between a Shrub and a Bush? Wow, Deeme that is news for me. My favorite plants in the garden would have to be grapes and strawberries. My kids love to indulge as much as possible. I also love my Datura plants they are such show offs.

15. sachishah

sachishahMember

Threads:
    There are so many plants which are my favorite plants. But among all some are my most favorite. I share one link here

you all go and see the the plants. You all just love it.

16. emmashopping

emmashoppingMember

Threads:
    I love gradening but i love to grow rose flowers like purple rose, pink and red roses.

17. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I love roses and orchids, I'm not good with the names but I love flowers, different kinds of flowers. I love planting different colors. It brings joy to me by just looking at it. I just plant whatever I think is beautiful.

18. Jennyflower81

Jennyflower81New Member

Threads:
    If I were to start with a blank canvas for a yard, I'd do several things. I'd plant fruit trees and bushes that provides berries. I'd also make an arbor for grapevines. I would also like to grow vines of honeysuckle and clematis. I make a basis of perennial favorites. I would be sure to plant an assortment of flowers that bloom at all different times, so there will be constant blossoms. I'd plant creeping phlox and heather bushes. I would surely have roses, hydrangea, lilac trees, rose of sharon, blue rug juniper, star jasmine, gardenia, and irises. I'd plant all kinds of lilies, along with black-eyed susan. I would put in butterfly bush and hardy hibiscus. I'd make a "bee garden" filled with daisies, archangel, chamomile, lavender, salvia, and catmint. Around all of my perennial favorites would be small beds of annual blooms, that I could change from year-to-year. I'd also use containers to give height to the garden area, and maybe some window boxes. I'd attach feeders for hummingbirds, and keep bird feeders too. I would make a rocky area for cactus and succulents. Of course, I would have a vegetable garden too. I love seed mixes that are sold in packets because it is always a surprise when you finally see what flowers grow! It is hard to choose one favorite flower, but for me, my absolute favorite will always be a sunflower.

19. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I think a yard can be beautiful as well as productive. As to trees, consider putting in some fruit trees that will provide shade, flower before bearing and ultimately provide healthy home grown fruit (without all the chemicals and you know where it comes from). They will also provide shade and beauty as much as many ornamental trees.

As some have suggested, you can set aside not only a flower garden but a vegetable garden. For beginners, try putting in some squash ( yellow, gray, zucchini, straight and crooked neck). They can live in basically any soil, just plant them in a small mound and watch the big leaves and pretty flowers. They also produce so much that you will have lots of healthy veggies for the family. Easy to grow, big producers, will give your green thumb a kick start. You can also try the rest like tomatoes, peppers, melons, berries and you will be hooked.

It saves money, is relaxing and a great way of having the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Good luck.