What are your least favorite books to read, but you know it's necessary to read?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by valiantx • Dec 18, 2014.

1. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I really don't like reading math books, they bore the heck out of me and it's all arbitrary abstract writing. Beyond Geometry, it gets pretty useless to learn the rest unless you desire to become a accountant, CFO, banker, mathematician, engineer, architect, or any profession that deals with super technical practices. However, I know that I do need knowledge in math to do many things in life, especially budgeting my bank account and expenditures, so I do try to expand upon my limited math knowledge even after my short-stint in college.

Also, I don't like reading medical books, because they have some of the most contracted words in the whole dictionary, which I opinion they do it on purpose to save time but to use as a "term of art" to make them appear more intelligent - I'm not dissing on medical people, I'm expressing my dislike of long words that confuse the heck out of most people who aren't learned of such words. But, I do respect learning stuff from medical books because it has helped my aid in my health problems and others with their health problems too.

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My least favorite genres are horror, sci-fi and action - although I make exceptions for Ludlum and Puzo novels. I can tolerate watching Space Odyssey and Star Trek but reading them is just too much. My brain gets its nutrients from fantasy, psychological, philosophical, history, comedy and general fiction novels. I sometimes feel the need to read sci-fi, though, if only to know more about their underlying philosophies.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like pure romance novels. I do find romance as apart of the storyline if it doesn't overrun the story. I also don't like pure romance movies or TV shows.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Books about writing I find to be rather annoying. Every writer thinks they are the best, they've cracked the code and can teach anyone to be a good writer. All lies though. Some of the things you'll read in those books you can find out for yourself through trial and error . . . nothing new under the sun. But I must read those books nonetheless because they may have some gem of knowledge that give me an edge over other writers I may have to compete against to get my stories published somewhere.

5. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I stay away from autobiographies. I hated that in high school. To me it was all research done by someone else even if they interviewed one on one basis with that person. You would find quotes made by that person and for the most part it reads as third person.

6. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have to read any book that I don't care for, these days nothing is a "reading necessity", anymore. In school, I had to read a couple of books I did not care much for. Medieval poetry and novels of incredible lengthy descriptions.

The only necessary reads that I don't like to read are instruction books. Urgh. But anything else, if I don't like it, I toss it.

7. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I went through a phase where I thought I should be reading the classics and made myself read several books that, despite being culturally important, I really didn't enjoy. These days, I only read books that I am interested in - the line of work I'm in does not require me to study and I'm not currently taking any college classes either. I suppose instruction manuals are a necessary evil but I find that some of the more common appliances now come with an infographic for speakers of all languages to understand.

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Non-fiction! I really don't like reading non-fiction, but they are straightforward, and really there are much to get from them, so I just feel like no matter how bored I am, I have to go through them. And it pays off, and I could say that reading them was really a hard-work. Nevertheless, one that I don't regret.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find finance and investing books boring but I know I should read more of them because I'm trying to be frugal and improve my relationship with money.

10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Anything about academics or math. I don't like reading non-fiction books because as what you have said, they bore me a lot. I have just always been interested in reading novels. I like memoirs though. :)

11. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Science, medicine, math and law. Not much for literary classics either. I like some books that deal with writing or small business. Otherwise, give me a good magazine or biography.

12. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I quickly get bored with any book that is badly written. Or, that has been written in an overly complicated language. I am not necessarily referring to academic texts, but also to basic technical books. For example, I really enjoy reading DIY books on handcrafts, such as how to build your own furniture, how to create a natural swimming pool, etc. And I quickly give up on reading such books if the author can't explain things in an organized, practical manner.

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My least favorite book is going to have to be 50 Shades of Grey. Now I know that it is not a book that is absolutely necessary to read, but when the craze was going on and there was a lot of buzz around it, I ended up hearing quotes from it and reading quotes from it. I literally couldn't believe how badly written the book was. It was laughable. In fact, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

14. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I enjoy reading but I have real problems with the likes of Shakespeare, Bronte and Dickens. I've tried various works by these authors over the years. I felt obliged to read them as they are considered classics. I never enjoyed them though and would often give up halfway through.

50 Shades really was dreadful though. I wonder if anyone actually sat and counted up all the times she said "Oh My" or bit her lip?

15. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I tried, I really tried to read 50 Shades just for the lulz. I couldn’t even make it past the first couple of pages.

Anyway, classics can be hit-or-miss for me. I went through that “must read them all” phase myself, but I burned out pretty quickly. Some were great, some required a second attempt for me to appreciate them, and others simply didn’t resonate with me. I felt especially guilty about that when I was getting to know someone whose taste in literature was quite high-brow. Some of it overlapped with my own tastes, but when I tried to read that person’s favorite author… I just could NOT do it. I’m happy to say I don’t feel guilty about that anymore, though! Different strokes for different folks and all that.

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    Lol! I have learned that whenever something is really popular like 50 Shades of Grey was, it's going to be difficult for it to live up to the hype, at least for me anyway, because I have high standards anyway, especially when it comes to literary works. But I have to say that that book was absolute trash. It has nothing to do with it not living up to the hype. It was pure trash.

17. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I love reading but i hate romance novels with their erotic book covers. It's so tacky in my opinion. I hate reading school textbooks but they are necessary to read so nothing i can do about that.

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    I feel sorry for high school students, who have to be subjected to syllabus literature, in order to earn a certain grade. I remember when I was in secondary school, and we were more or less forced to read Shakespeare, and Of Mice and Men, which were more boring than watching paint dry. It was really hard as well because our grades depended upon reading these works.

19. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Same as with other posters, I have a love hate relationship with classic books. I tried, really tried, to enjoy and read them because many people recommended reading these classics. But I just got bored out of my mind. Maybe someone can modernize them or something, lol. It might be the deep words and old language that were used in it that makes it difficult to digest. I would rather stick with the newer books.

20. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Confession: I tried a certain online dating site again after swearing I would never go back (I promise, this has a relevant point :p). While I had to deactivate again because there are so few viable options where I live, there was this one lovely guy in another state who checked out my profile a few times. So naturally I had a look at his, and it turned out he’s embarked on a project to translate a certain foreign-written classic into modern everyday English, the type someone around my age (or slightly younger) would use in telling the story. I couldn’t resist sending him a message before I left the site, but I kind of regret not telling him what he’s doing is an excellent idea. Because it is. I would read that. I also tend to enjoy modern-day stories, films, etc. that are based on classics (Clueless, anyone?) so I think that’s another thing that ought to be done more often.