What Are Your Opinions On Torrenting?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by ScipioPro • Feb 24, 2015.

1. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You must be talking about your twin, because I KNOW you do not like to debate ;) :) :) I appreciate you jumping in actually. Thank you!!! Sometimes one gets so caught up that they don't realize that their energy could be spent on more productive outlets :) :) :)

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I jump back and forth between looking for stuff on torrent sites, vs. looking for stuff on file host sites such as Rapidgator and Mediafire. It sort of depends on the application/script/whatever I am looking for though too - but it kind of seems like Torrent sites have been a bit slow at getting the latest applications. I can often find the newest versions of applications being shared on forums and blogs via file hosts. Also, torrents can often become dangerously popular even if they in fact contain trojans or malware. Just because a given torrent has the most seeds by far vs all the others listed in the search results doesn't always mean that's the best, cleanest, or most malware free version available. The comments on torrent listings aren't always the most helpful or up to date either, as most people don't seem to bother to register on torrent sites to participate, they just get their torrent and leave. On forums however, as well as blogs, the users are there specifically to chat, so the conversation is often more current regarding errors, bugs, or possible trojans/malware.

3. DreekLass

Threads:
    I do all of those things too. I jump between all of those downloading mediums too, depending upon what I am actually downloading. I hate to use torrents these days, because I don't trust that they are not riddled with trojans or malware or something. So if I am absolutely desperate - that is the only way that I will use torrents these days. Either have to be desperate or know that the torrent is trusted and reputable.

4. Aasif Khan

Aasif KhanMember

Threads:
    I see torrenting as an opportunity to get stuff for free. Though, I make sure that I don't torrent movies that are currently running in theaters. But that is just because of the quality of print available while a movie is currently running in screens. I think uploading copyrighted content should be illegal and downloading should be, well non-illegal. That is just my opinion.

5. sbatz72

sbatz72Member

Threads:
    Call me a little scared cat, but I am always concerned that I am at the one site on the entire WWW that the US FBI owns and is trying to raid all registered users of. This is my personal reason for never using those sites.

6. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    It's difficult to impose stricter laws on torrenting, as no one controls internet. People would continue to torrent unless internet firms do not bring down exorbitant prices. Nevertheless, I don't torrent for the fear of viruses and trojans.

7. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Torrent in its self is not morally wrong. Period. By no stretch of logic could you convince me otherwise.
    Torrent is simply a protocol for distributing information on the internet.
    It's what YOU do with that protocol that makes it good or bad.
    Saying torrents are morally wrong because people "steal" things with it is like saying cars are morally wrong because some people drive them drunk.

8. DreekLass

Threads:
    I don't know if I agree that no one controls the internet. Depending on which country you come from, your government can do whatever they want as far as what the public sees online and what it doesn't see. I feel like all governments have some measure of control over what their people have access too.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's just "borrowing from your bestie" in the 21st century. They weren't following everyone around making sure they weren't lending out their casette tapes and CD's in the 80s and 90s. What's so different? As you said, it's what you do with it. If they have a problem, go after the distributors alone. But again.. they're just our 21 century besties, so why not? lol.

Don't get me wrong, I can see all sides of this.. but I'll always side with the underdog and in this case the underdog isn't the rich artist losing some sales which they make up in expensive ticket sales and excessive tours.

10. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    You have a right to your opinion. That said, I was of the view(in my first post) that It's practically impossible to enforce control on internet. Privacy becomes a huge issue and people can stop surfing the net for the fear of being traced out. They can as well circumvent censorship with "Virtual Private Networks". Online businesses will fail and hackers will go on a rampage.

I don't want to get into a muddy discussion. I just voiced my opinion.

11. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I do torrent and i know i should feel some guilt but i really don't. I mean why should i when everyone else is doing it. Torrenting has a very large number on the internet, people are doing the effort to give it you for free so why not make the most of it. I guess, it's the government's fault for not doing anything about it. You can't blame everyone who's only taking what is given willingly. :p

12. Noril Salvo

Noril SalvoNew Member

Threads:
    If a movie is good it deserves to be viewed. It is its sole purpose, to be used. Much like money was made to be spent. Torrenting is here, I don't discourage it but I don't endorse it as well. To each his own. There are things that you download from torrents that are a complete waste of resources and time, and they deserved to be deleted or thrown away but there are also gems to be had. There are files that are just begging to be played, viewed or listened to a second or third time. That is the time, you buy a good copy for yourself, that you can cherish and love. Think of it as a preview material. Nothing more.

13. DreekLass

Threads:
    In a way, we are both right. Both statements are true, depending on one's situations and such. But just because no one entity controls the internet, it doesn't mean that certain facets aren't being controlled by certain groups, especially countries that are blocking all of the torrent websites.

14. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are a number of people who download torrents, burn the movies or whatever it is they download onto DVDs and sell them as "used" copies. Do such people have any defense worth listening to? They wanted a piece of the pie?

For many third world countries where most people can't afford to buy a DVD or even watch a movie in a theater they'd be forced to "torrent" simply because they can't afford to buy the DVD/Blu Ray Disk — whatever.

There better ways to save money on music and movies though. Lots of free movies which can be downloaded. If it's entertainment people seek why be picky?

15. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Don't get me wrong, I understand why it's "wrong".. I just can't be bothered. If someone is struggling, I will support them fully.. if it's someone with more money than god, I won't shed a tear while I'm downloading. My main point was.. if you must concentrate on anyone, it should be the distributor, not the downloader using for their own personal use.

16. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's hard if not impossible to catch the distributors because the copyright laws where they live could be different. And it hardly matters though, suing those responsible would only be a waste of money because these distributors aren't that rich.

So studios, record labels, artists, etc, have no option but to accept that torrenting exists and there's nothing they can do to stop it or cut out the middle men by uploading their old movies and music to streaming sites such as youtube. That way they'd at least make a little money from ads which will be displayed.

17. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I am afraid to use those sites because there are so many virus that can mess up your computer. I tried one time and let it go, because the movie I downloaded wasn't even the movie I wanted and so I just gave up. Also, I have heard you won't be able to do that with Windows 10, something about they will delete or something, not too sure about that either, but thats what I have heard.

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    Yeah, I know what you mean. It is important to exercise some discernment though when you are browsing torrent websites - the ones that aren't blocked by your ISP anyway. Always read the comments. And if there are no comments, then try to find the same file that you were going to download elsewhere.

19. roydominic33

roydominic33New Member

Threads:
    Yes, your point makes perfect sense and it is no discussion that torrenting should be entirely prohibited. However the real question is how to make newer laws which would directly confront pirating, which is very easily done by using torrents. There's no question on the importance of torrent apps but there should be a line between what it can be used for and not. In this day and age there are too many gray areas, especially in the cyber world.

20. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Torrenting itself isn't necessarily the issue. The technology behind torrenting is neutral, and is simply a means of uploading and downloading files. The uses for torrenting probably should be monitored more closely, that said, because it seems like the majority of torrents are geared towards digital products that should be paid for.

The only time I'll resort to torrenting is if there's something that I want that will never be released in my country, ever ever ever, and I really want to give it a look-see. I don't torrent current games, movies, books, and so forth, 'cause their publishers deserve the money they've earned by creating a product I like.