What Are Your Opinions On Torrenting?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by ScipioPro • Feb 24, 2015.

1. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    That is some good advice, thank you very much. I usually like to try places to download some educational software, but haven't done it in awhile but, I will take your advice into consideration.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You are welcome. It is really hard these days though, to find files elsewhere, because most of the torrenting websites have been banned by ISP's or shut down to where you can access them, but when it comes to using the torrents from their tracker, you'll get a bad tracker error or something like that. KAT torrents has been blocked but always seems to come back.

3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I hate torrents, but not exactly of the nature of them; they may include pirated software, music, videos or else, but they may also come with legit content to download.

Reason why I don't like torrents is basically because they eat up TONS of bandwidth because of the dual protocol they use to connect: TCP/UDP, which literally may kill your Internet connection or make it so slow that you may die in the attempt to load a website.

Of course, the modern your computer. the less notorious this problem is, but if you feel enthusiast to download several torrents and once and the "seed" source is not online, you may kill yourself with ease.

4. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @MyDigitalpoint@MyDigitalpoint I don't like them because they take too long to download number one. They also can come with viruses (which I know are anywhere but it's more common with torrents) and I have found that it is difficult to understand how to open the files in them a lot of times.

#84Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2015
  5. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    Lots of interesting thoughts here! I use torrents fairly often to get all kinds of stuff, but mostly music. When it comes to music, I try and support the artists/labels through other means, like shirts or records. I don't think it's a huge deal for me morally, it's not like I could afford all the music and stuff if I didn't torrent. I guess I just don't really care about the morality of it, when I think about it.

6. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I torrent stuff from time to time, but only when it's a show I have no way of getting easily. If companies want to stop pirating all they have to do is make their shows easier to get legally.

7. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    This is my wife's opinion when it comes to a lot of music, actually. She's quite willing to buy the music she likes, but there's often no way to purchase it in our country. I understand licensing and borders and all that, but in the age of the internet it's pretty stupid that we can't buy things that should be available for download.

8. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    That's exactly what I mean SLTE. Ever since I got Spotify I haven't had a reason to pirate music. It doesn't have every single song out there, but it has enough for it to be my sole source of music nowadays.

9. DreekLass

Threads:
    Spotify would not be able to quench my musical tastes. I have some very vast musical tastes, ranging from mainstream to the downright obscure, and services like spotify do not have a lot of the obscure music, which is my favorite kind of music. Also, I just don't see the point in paying for music when it is so readily available for free elsewhere.

10. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    Well, I do it because I like to support the artists that make the music I love. If they don't get paid by someone we wouldn't get music.

I also like many artists that Spotify doesn't have, and in those cases I do resort to torrents if there's no other way of getting it.

11. DreekLass

Threads:
    Of course. I am not knocking your choices to support your favorite artists, and good music, by paying for the music in the slightest. Just because I wouldn't do something, it doesn't mean that I condemn the other's way, you know? I think it is great that we still have people today who will pay for music, when the internet so readily provides so much music for free. I don't have any artists that I believe in at the moment, that I would like to support to where I'd actually pay money for their music at the moment though.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If it's harder to get,, it's probably someone that deserves the money far more than your easy to get mainstream music that will get paid with or without you. Lot's of people knocking Torrenting, but justifying their own need for it. It's stealing or it's not, you can't tweak it to suit your needs lol.

13. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not knocking torrenting at all. I did it a lot more before and still do it today, only less. The biggest difference is that I couldn't afford to pay for it before.

You're right about the artists with hard to get stuff probably need the money more. At the same time though, they upload their stuff to youtube and other media sites because when you first start out it's better to get your songs out there. Regardless of whether they get paid or not. Torrenting works for that. There's many artists that have gained recognition by giving their music out for free in the beginning.

14. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do torrent occasionally but on the whole, it's generally more hassle than it's worth. Half the time, the album won't download fully, other times, it seems to use up all your bandwidth leaving you unable to do anything else on the computer. I don't use Spotify though - if there's anything I want to listen to at home that I don't already have then I'll just YouTube it.

15. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't really tried torrent ever. Would you believe that? I tried downloading music from YouTube but not through torrent. Now, I'm more into Spotify and it's free so I don't have to spend a dime or even effort in it. The only downside is that I cannot download it and it needs wifi to play songs. But I'm almost always home and that is where I need music anyway.

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    I will never knock torrenting. I have used it for a number of years now, when I did not have any money coming in at all, due to being a teenager and jobless lol. I got hold of a lot of useful healing music, and some softwares that helped me to create music for free. All sorts of things. I would pick torrenting over paying for things any day of the week lol.

17. Pabmart

PabmartMember

Threads:
    I think that the key is to keep it balanced. i buy a lot of my stuff but at the same time I also torrent and download a lot of stuff for free, and I don't regret it honestly. If I end up liking the thing that I've downloaded a lot I will buy it.

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    I don't buy anything digital these day, unless I have looked online first, couldn't find it, and really really need or want whatever it is that I cannot find online. If I download something and I like it, I will not usually buy the product, unless updates cost money. Then I will willingly pay for the updates to the free program.

19. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Why would you pay for something that you already have? If the software you download is very much the same as the version you'd buy wouldn't it be better to download the trial version of that software [if there's one], test it for that trial period and buy it if you like it?

20. DreekLass

Threads:
    It seems to be a moral issue among many people. But of course in response to people who frown upon torrenting, many people who engage in piracy will try to defend themselves morally by saying that if they enjoy the product then they will extend themselves to the point where they will purchase what they have torrented. Even if they are lying, and just saying so to make their argument appear better. I won't lie. I don't pay for the things that I torrent when I enjoy them.