What are your thoughts about Thanksgiving?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by brutal37138 • Nov 29, 2013.

1. brutal37138

brutal37138Member

Threads:
    Given Wal-Mart's statement that the industry is moving more and more towards shopping ON Thanksgiving, rather than the day after has seen stores slowly open up earlier and earlier, now many simply don't close at all, but rather have extended hours beyond normal around the Thanksgiving holiday. This was abundantly obvious as most things in the retail world continued on as if there was no holiday at all. How do feel about this change?

I think if we aren't going to celebrate the holiday, then what's the point in having it.

2. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the workers should be off but I guess that just how it works. Many people work on Christmas eve and day as well. Some can't afford to take the time off. And even tho it's the holidays you never know what you'll need from the store you know so I guess it isn't too bad. If you work morning do thanksgiving in the evening and vice versa.

3. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I think Wal-Mart's decision to keep their doors open for extended hours on Thanksgiving Day is a sign of changing views on family. Many families don't sit down and eat meals together as they did in the past. The dynamics of this unit isn't the same. So, big business is playing off on this reality.

As for me, I refuse to shop on Thanksgiving Day because it is one of the few times a person has to relax and be with family. So, yesterday, I took a break, cooked and spent time with loved ones. It's the only way to stay close.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to work retail when I was younger. I can't remember any department store being open on Thanksgiving or Christmas. I really did look forward to having the day off.

I understand that some stores would what to make as much money as they can, but I don't think that they should force their employees to work. I don't understand why they don't ask for volunteers. They are plenty of people who don't celebrate the holidays. Other people would jump at holiday pay. I hope these companies are offering pay.

I didn't shop at any stores on Thanksgiving.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find it funny people boycott certain stores for remaining open on holidays (I read this was the case, not saying anyone here is doing it), but are fine to shop with them otherwise, despite the sweatshops and shady ethics in general. I don't agree with forcing people to work on holidays, but it's up to them if they want to stay open and maybe ask for volunteers. Especially when obviously there are more than enough people who are fine with it and shopping these days.

6. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I mean I don't think working on a holiday affects anyone but those who actually do so. Like myself I don't mind much, but I know plenty of people who would hate to be doing so. Although personally my Thanksgiving was a success.