What Are Your Thoughts On Dental Tourism?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by richc3 • Apr 22, 2016.

1. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    If you're unfamiliar with dental tourism, it's this idea that places like Mexico, Cuba, and a few other countries have what's regarded as first class dental services at 3rd world prices. Whether it be dental cleaning, xrays, fillings, tooth extractions and what have you, the savings can be huge. In many cases, the savings exceed the cost of the trip itself to get there. Of course, it's important to find a reputable dentist that other travellers can vouch for rather than going to any shack on the corner of the street.

Where do you stand on this? Have you or do you know someone who has done it? If you haven't, would it be something you'd be willing to try yourself?

2. Charlie Hammond

Charlie HammondNew Member

Threads:
    I would not do it. :)

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Dental tourism is something I was unfamiliar with prior to moving to Texas. Down here, particularly down by the US/Mexico border, it's commonplace for people to 'go across' to have their dental work completed, buy prescription medications, etc., due to extreme cost savings. I would consider it if I had the money to travel, the region was safe (which Mexico isn't right now), and if the dentist/practice had an impeccable reputation. I have no doubt there are excellent providers in Mexico, India, etc., but I'd have to do some research first. If I needed something very expensive such as a full mouth of dental implants or some other extreme situation, that would be prohibitively expensive, and would perhaps warrant this type of trip.

My neurologist is from India, and he recommended at one point that I travel to India to fill my medications, because it would be cheaper. Apparently he and his family do that for their medications, and save quite a bit of money in doing so.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Incidentally, I just ran across this article that relates to this subject. Here's an excerpt, and it's a warning I would definitely heed. As I said, Mexico isn't safe right now, and it doesn't appear to be getting any safer, unfortunately. Many living along the border have family, friends, and obligations in both countries. It would be wonderful if the violence could be quelled, and the area made safe again, for the benefit of those on both sides of the border.

The U.S. Department of State is asking American tourists to avoid Mexican clinics in the beach resort area of Los Cabos in Baja California after receiving multiple allegations of abuse. Some of allegations include kidnapping patients until payments were made, price-gouging and withholding the tourists passports.

Here's the link for more information:

5. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I totally get it, and would ABSOLUTELY look into it if I was facing thousands of dollars of dental work that needed to be done.

I've only had dental insurance for about 6 years of my life (while working as a teacher). Even with what it was, it wasn't awesome. I paid half for my cleanings and maybe they would have helped halfway on procedures. Luckily I never knew. I've never even had a cavity and am pretty religious about regular cleanings.

That said, dental work is no joke and the price is ungodly for those without insurance. If I could save more than $1,000 with all costs included and know that I was getting as good of service, I'd definitely consider traveling.

6. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    Any type of dental or medical tourism was something that I thought only the extremely wealthy could afford. I don't know anyone that has traveled out of the country to have any procedure done, but if the price is affordable and the service is top notch, I would consider it.

7. Shoplady

ShopladyMember

Threads:
    Hmmm I know a couple people who have travelled outside of the US to have surgery. One had a pretty good experience, and one had a lot of complications. Personally I wouldn't do it because you could get stuck there if there are complications. Also, dentistry is fairly important to overall health, and I'd want to be closer to my dentist for good follow up care. I can certainly see the money saving temptation of it though.

8. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    My aunt has gotten medication and had her cavities filled in Mexico in the early 90s. I once went with her and they did amazing work. They are cleaner and a little more educated than Americans when it comes to surgery and dental work. I would go out there to do it! It's cheaper and safer. We all love to believe that America has the best healthcare, but they don't.

9. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    I went to Mexico this past December for a vacation. While I was there, I went to see a dentist, mostly because I hadn't gone to a dentist in over two years. I originally just went in to get a regular teeth cleaning, but the dentist found two cavities so I decided I might as well get fillings. It was very cheap and I have had no complications. Plus the dentist was very nice and professional. Beyond dental care, I probably wouldn't want to do any other major treatments in Mexico.

10. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think people looking for dental treatment especially a full mouth job should head for India where the best dental surgery is available at almost 20% cost of what if takes in countries like America, Australia and other European countries. I tooth extraction that costs merely $5-10 (in local currency) in India by a qualified dentists may cost up to $250 in the places I mentioned above. India has some of the best dental institutes and best available dentists to get the job done to your most satisfaction.

11. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    I might be just suspicious or paranoid but anything in regards to my health i like it to be cared for in my country since i'm afraid of a lot.

12. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    Most of my friends and relatives (Indian) keep their dental work pending until they take their holiday visiting India. They are open about the fact that dental treatment be it in the US or Australia is far too expensive and visiting India even though they have to pay for their travel is cheaper when dental issues are taken up here in India.

13. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with you on your health concerns and your preferences but the fact remains that India is one of the biggest health travel destination and most of the visitors are from America and European countries. I suggest you to check the related data available online.

14. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    Sure why not? I wouldn't mind going to some of these countries and get some dental work done. I will get to save money and the trip will also serves as a getaway. I will only do this though if the place is not too far from where I stay.

15. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    It makes sense I guess but it still seems strange to think about. If the price is right then it will attract people, but safety is probably an issue that would come to mind.

16. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I was in Australia for a long time and had some problem with my 2 teeth. I was told that it would cost me almost AU$20 k to get them fixed. I waited (I had problem but I waited). Now I am in India and first thing I did on my arrival was that I approached a famous dentist of my city. I got the job done and all it cost me is little less than US$40.

17. Soulwatcher

SoulwatcherMember

Threads:
    I have heard of a lot of people going abroad for dental work. But I myself have not tried it because I am too poor to afford a flight to another country and I am too poor to get my teeth fixed. So I wait until they hurt and need to be pulled and I get the tooth pulled. It sucks being poor.

18. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    By the way the latest technology allows you to get your teeth done without extracting them. The latest technology simply trims your useless teeth, not even root-canal which is long and costly process but they trim your teeth (any number from 1 to 32) and cap them with permanent new set of tooth/teeth. It's all done in 2-3 sittings (3-4 days) and that's about it. The average price each tooth costs $20 in India. So if you need to fix all of your 32 teeth it costs in the range of $600- $700 + travel cost.

19. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think I would do this as by the time you had paid for a flight over to another country it would work out just as expensive. Dental treatment is a terrible price in the UK but we do have dental plans we can set up. I wouldn't go abroad to attend a dental clinic I wasn't sure of. That would be far too much stress for me when I can nip down the road and get any problem fixed.

20. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately no insurance policy including our official covers dental treatment unless we meet a sudden accident and lose some of teeth and it's the same for us almost everywhere in the world I have worked so far. They do not pay anything for dental implant, cleaning, scaling or cosmetic dental surgery. I think dental treatment, aids and venereal diseases are the only ones which are not covered by health insurance companies.