What brand of fertilizer gives the best bang for the buck?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Esperahol • Jun 20, 2012.

1. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    We're going to try farming again and I want to get some opinions on fertilizer this time rather then just kind of guessing. Also what are things I should consider when picking out a fertilizer?

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends on what it is you are growing. Some plants will have different fertilizer needs than others. You can try researching online for the plant you are trying to grow and what it's care needs are. You could also talk with someone from a local nursery. As far as the best fertilizer for the price, I would say it would have to be manure. We live in an area where we can get horse or cow poop for free. You do have to be careful not to overfertilize using it though.

3. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    Depending upon how much you want to go into depth with it, you may want to invest in worm beds. I have two of the vertical ones that use trays with holes for the worms to go thru the different levels. I tried the fancy smancy worms you send off for that are big and fat and suppose to be the 'best'. But actually I did great with just plain ole red wrigglers from PetSmart. I did use tho nothing but organic peat moss as the dirt. They thrived and those worms are the big fat ones I used last year.

This garden season, I went to use my worms, and they had not been built up since I used them last year. So all I did was go to Petsmart and get worms again since it was cheaper than buying peat moss and starting from scratch. I just put them in the beds. If you don't use a lot of potting soil that has those little white beads thingies, I imagine that's not too good for them.