What color should a wedding dress be?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by H.C. Heartland • Oct 6, 2014.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    My friend just attended a wedding and she commented on her surprise that the bride wore white even though it was her 2nd wedding. Recently, I have seen a 1st wedding were the bride wore a rose colored dress that was lovely. I know that the traditional color for weddings is white, and that if you had been married before you would wear an off color, but times are changing. I have even seen bridesmaids dresses in black! What do you think? Do we still need to conform to old traditions? What color should a wedding dress be? (Mine was white, just for posterity sake - but I was married 19 years ago.)

2. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I think that if you are going to get married for the first time, then you should wear white. Well, this is my belief because I am raised Catholic. If you will not get married in a church, you can wear whatever color you want. I think that people just conform to the white tradition because their standards when it comes to weddings have been shaped by so many traditions already.

3. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I think it should be whatever color the bride likes. I'm still debating what color wear to my wedding but it sure isn't going to be white because I never wear that, it's one of my least favorite colors.

A lot of people think white means purity or that it's a religious tradition but the truth is that this tradition was started by Queen Victoria in the 1800s. Before her even royalty wore colored wedding gowns. During that time women wore their best possible clothes and in any color, and the wedding dress was just a fancy dress that they could reuse for other fancy occasions. White showed that she had a lot of money and could spend in a gown that could only be worn one day (white gets dirty very easily). Then other women from wealthy families did the same and after a while white became traditional.

It might not be traditional but I don't see why you couldn't wear other colors to a church wedding. Is not like they wont marry you. I'm not religious but I was raised going to church and from my understanding what matters is getting married in front of God and not what you wear. You could go to church in jeans and they would still marry you.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have no qualms if other people choose to wear black, red or blue wedding dresses for their respective weddings. However, there's something about the traditional white wedding dress that appeals to me. Among other symbols, the color white speaks of purity, serenity, peace and tranquility - all of which appeals to my better judgment. So I could care less if we're in the twenty first century. The white wedding gown is ethereal and timeless and if I had the chance to marry, I'd prefer to wear a lovely white gown to my wedding. I do support people who try to break tradition and go for a different dress color. As long as they're happy and as long as the wedding last, that's all that matters.

5. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Around here white is the predominant color and it doesn't matter if it's the first or second time someone gets married. In the end it all boils down to what the couple getting married is choosing, no matter the tradition - the wedding/clothes are expensive as it is and the event itself is something special so imo it's better to just go with the color you wish. After all, its your wedding.

6. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    That is a cultural question. I don't think it is that important really, but different cultures have different traditions. In western culture white traditionally symboli*ed virginity, so that is why some one getting remarried would, according to that tradition, not wear white. However, if white simply means purity, then if someone was widowed and is remarrying, they have every reason to wear white. In Indian culture, red is the traditional color of a wedding dress. I don't know if it means anything, or is just a tradition. I don't take these kind of traditions very seriously, so I think it's OK for a bride to wear whatever makes her feel beautiful.

7. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I think wedding dresses should always be white especially for your first wedding. I think there is a little room for some color variation when it comes to a second wedding though. That is just my opinion, but I think it is truly up to the bride and what she wants for her wedding. :)

Hope this helps!!
    Danyel :)

8. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I think the whole colour theory there is a really outdated tradition that a lot of brides are happily getting away from. If you want to wear white, first wedding or not, than go for it! Same goes if you want to wear rose or peach or black or purple or anything, really. More surprising to me than the colour choices is the whole "trash the dress" thing, I can see how it could be a little fun for some people but I just can't imagine spending a fair amount on a dress, wearing it to my wedding and then jumping in the ocean or something. lol. But to each their own :).

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I fully intend to wear white on my wedding. But that is because it will be my first wedding and I'm still relatively young. If you are an older bride, or if you're already a mother or is on your second, third and so on wedding, I think it's fine to vary a little and use another color that is not white. With that being said, I think any bright is entitled to use white. It shouldn't be weird to use white if you're on your second wedding or your third wedding, a bride should always have the right to use white!

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    i think it is a very personal and individual choice when it comes to the color of a wedding dress. If you like white, why should you not be able to dress in brilliant white on this special day? And why should you care about what others think about your choice? After all, it is your event. You might get married more than once or twice, but it probably doesn't happen every year, so it is special and unique no matter how often you tie the knot.

11. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I really don't think it matters, it should be whatever color you want it to be, after all, it's your big day. I personally prefer white wedding dresses, but I like when they have some red in the lace, it looks so beautiful.

12. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    Some trash the dress photos look like works of art. As a photographer I can see why others like to shoot those kind of creative sessions. But I personally would never do that. It seems so wasteful. I can't see myself spending so much on an outfit just to wear it one day and destroy it.

13. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not really one for this kinds of things but I was raised Catholic and I believe that you should wear white because it symbolizes that you're clean and pure or something like that. But that is if you are clean and pure, I think it has something to do with not having sexual relations before getting married. But I don't think it matters that much if you're not following traditions.

14. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I think the wedding dress should always have a very good colour and that one which makes the bride look really pretty and glamorous. I think it is very important that the dress be very glamorous as well as according to the customs of their families. I always prefer to have a white dress, but I think colours like red and pink would also look great.

15. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    This thread ended up being so interesting, I thought I would add some photos for it of different colored wedding dresses, including white. Once I started looking I really could have gotten lost in it. I think my favorite was the 'Autumn Theme Wedding' but there were so many others! Hey girls - if any of you begin to plan your wedding, don't forget to start a thread - we'll help you look for deals. :)wedding fall.white black wedding.white blue wedding.white bronze wedding.white pink wedding.white purple wedding.white blue wedding.white wedding.white yellow wedding.

16. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The strangest wedding dress color I've seen was mint-green. I say "strange" because I had previously not seen a bride in such a dress. But I don't think the color of the wedding should matter all that much. If the couple getting married choose it, those who aren't part of the wedding shouldn't judge the bride. After all, why should it be women only who get judged, the groom doesn't have a fixed dress code does he?

17. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I think a white dress is old fashioned. If that's what you've always imagined, go for it. If you'd rather be married in a red or blue or whatever colored dress, go for it! We're not virgin ladies being traded for power and money anymore. Weddings are a celebration of love. Wear whatever makes you feel great, be it white or whatever color. :)

18. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I was raised Catholic and there is a priest in my family. One time he was discussing how the church would not discriminate to marry couples who don't have the money for a wedding. A traditional white wedding gown is kind of a luxury since you can't wear it more than once. One time he married a young low income couple and the bride wore a peach casual dress. A white dress is not a requirement for a catholic wedding and not a tradition started by the church. What matters is the sacrament, two people becoming one in front of God.

19. randomdude

randomdudeMember

Threads:
    I my opinion a wedding dress should allways be the triditional color white. I was always told that white is always to be worn over any other color because it represents purness of the person getting marrired. I suppose if someone wanted to wear another color it would be ok to suite their needs but it wouldn't be traditionally correct. A bride who wears white also makes all other colors worn in a wedding look right. Everything blends in and matches with the color white.

20. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Its funny that in today's age people will insist on wearing a white wedding dress because it represents being "pure" AKA a virgin, but in today's age how many women are really virgins on their wedding day except the Duggar girls? or a very small segment of women? At least in American society... Part of me is partial to tradition but at the same time like someone else said times are changing and wearing a colored dress can be just as nice, in my opinion. The dress should represent the personality of the bride.