What Deals Have You Gotten Lately?

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by Diane Lane • Jun 5, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a lot of money for buying things I want but don't necessarily need, these days, but there are still things that break and need to be replaced, as well as the occasional little splurge.

My tablet has been acting up out of lack of resources, so I decided to purchase a used Kindle device so that I can remove the Kindle app and accompanying books from the tablet, to see if that will help. I've already removed many other apps, but it has still been acting up. I wanted a dedicated reader anyway, so even if it doesn't work, I'll have the reader in the event of power outages. Since it's Hurricane Season, and I live along the coast, having a dedicated Kindle will be a good thing. I purchased a used one on eBay and got a decent deal on it. There are also refurbished ones available, so if anyone's in the market, that's a good place to purchase one. I had put one in my Amazon shopping cart, but then I remembered I couldn't use Paypal on Amazon, so I removed that and completed the purchase on eBay.

My electric kettle has served me well over the past 8 years, but the lid broke off. I looked to see if there was some way I could repair it, but it was in two pieces with a plastic clip holding them together. The clip broke, and the two pieces wouldn't fit together without the clip. I even looked for a replacement lid online, but couldn't find the part. I did some research, and the type of kettle I wanted was out of my price range, so i purchased a used one in good shape on eBay. I can't wait for it to arrive, so I can clean and descale it and put it to use.

I needed to purchase a feline prescription medication, and my local pharmacies didn't have the product. I looked around online for the best price from a reputable site. There are some that I hear about all the time on television and in print ads, as well as online ads, but I ended up going with Drs Foster and Smith. I've purchased many other items from them in the past, from fish and aquarium supplies to litter boxes and flea medication. In addition to having the lowest price on that particular medication, I looked around and found a discount coupon code, which was accepted.

What have y'all bought lately, and did you get some good deals and save money?

2. ThesePretzels

ThesePretzelsMember

Threads:
    Nothing big, just a Groupon good for a local movie theater at about fifty percent off. It's kind of hard to get a sale on something like that because I know next time I'll be back to full price.

3. Diane Lane

Threads:
    @ThesePretzels@ThesePretzels Do you use Groupon a lot? I signed up for it, but I've never used it, and I'm still not entirely sure how it works. It seems that you sign up to get the deal at the discounted (group) rate, but if the specified number of people don't purchase it within a certain time frame, the deal dies? Fifty percent off is a good deal for theater tickets, we were just discussing that in another thread. I hope it works out for you!

4. ThesePretzels

ThesePretzelsMember

Threads:
    I've only used Groupon a couple times, but the way this offer worked is actually a little strange, the deal seems to be a permanent fixture and I can re-buy tickets at the discounted rate every other month. I have seen offers with counters before and I just assumed that it was indicative of a limited offer that lasted until either time expired or all spots were filled.

5. Saundra Jackson

Saundra JacksonMember

Threads:
    Nothing much, except one makeup brush for only shipping cost and today I found

, my new favorite jewelry shop. :DThere are so much beautiful in there and of course, Sales! I think I need new pearl earrings:oops::oops: :p

6. Diane Lane

Threads:
    That's interesting. Maybe it serves as low cost advertising for the theater? It's good to know that it won't expire, and that you can go back every few months and claim the same discount. How often do you go to the theater? I haven't been in quite a while, but that's mainly because it's too far from where I live. If it were closer, I'd probably go more often, especially if I could snag a deal like that, or attend matinees.

7. ThesePretzels

ThesePretzelsMember

Threads:
    I usually go to that theater 2 or 3 times every month, it's right outside the neighborhood so I can potentially get a lot of use out of this deal. Yeah I would think the groupon is a low budget reminder that there is a non-chain option.

8. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I recently got 2 packs of Claritin Children's chewable allergy medicine through Bzz Agent as part of a campaign to try out and review. I thought this was an excellent deal because those packs are $12 a piece at the store. Saved myself a lot of money and got a lot of points for reviewing them.

9. Diane Lane

Threads:
    That's a great deal @Rosyrain@Rosyrain. I love getting free samples from PinchMe, especially when they're full sized.

@ThesePretzels@ThesePretzels That's great, you must see a nice variety of shows. Eventually, i'd like to go more, and I will, if I can ever get my car working better. For now, it's Netflix at home ;).

I got my new (to me) kettle in the mail the other day, and I couldn't be happier. It's in fantastic shape, showing no wear, and is very well made. I have to adjust to it though, because it's slightly larger than my last one. Today, I was half asleep when I was pouring the water into my cup, and overshot the cup, pouring boiling water all over the countertop, which probably saved me a little cleaning.

10. Famlieski

FamlieskiNew Member

Threads:
    Just recently I went to a store to buy a sim card for my iPad so that I could use it on the go. But when I was there, it turned out that it was actually cheaper to get a tablet with a sim card included. It ended up costing 1/3 of what I would have paid for the sim card alone, and I got a tablet too. I can use that second tablet when the first one is out of battery, or being used by my daughter :p

11. Diane Lane

Threads:
    That's great to hear, was that deal through your cellular company or internet provider @Famlieski@Famlieski?

I recently purchased a noodle cord on eBay for a low amount of money. The standard 3 foot cords that come with devices are pretty much useless to me. I have a very high bed, and the devices are usually charging either on the bed or on the steps I use to get up onto the bed, and that's fine for a 3 foot cord, but if I'm in bed and want to use the device while it's plugged in, it just won't reach. I had the option of purchasing a 3 foot, 6 foot, or 9 foot cord/cable. I know how clumsy I am, so I went with the 6 footer for now, since I figured if the cord was longer, I'd most likely trip on it and that could ultimately lead to more costs for medical bills. I am in the United States and purchased it from the UK, figuring it would take some extra time, and it did, but not as long as I'd suspected. It's definitely much quicker than buying from Asia.

12. Famlieski

FamlieskiNew Member

Threads:
    No :) It was an iPad I bought cheaply from my dad, who had bought it from someone at work. I didn't actually know which network it was on, and was too impatient to wait for him to find out, so I popped into town. First I went to a generic phone shop, but the staff were too busy, so I went directly to a specific brand store and coincidentally the iPad was locked to their network. They tried a sim card in and it worked straight away, so I went ahead with the purchase there and then.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I remember being able to buy a lot of clothes and pants from Ebay that only cost $1 to $3. They are in good condition as well. I also remember being able to buy 2 refurbished phones on Ebay that cost around $30 only for both phones.

14. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I got a domain name on Namecheap for pennies. Of course next year I'll have to pay full price for the renewal but since I saved some money on the domain this year, that's quite a deal. I've had a few other deals but none of them saved me more than $5.

But I'm looking forward to Black Friday, I expect to get some great deals on electronics I'll buy at the end of the year.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Haven't bought much that would be considered an extraordinary bargain lately but I did get to shop a lot again lately and fortunately have gotten similar types of prices to the types of bargains I'm used to getting in the past so pretty much I still am spending the same even though I know prices should be higher. Recently I got some nice shoes for just ten dollars and I know the original price should be at least double that since the quality is great. I would have bought more but I couldn't find enough styles that I like. Hopefully when I come back there will be more to choose from for the same low price.