What do you buy at dollar stores?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by tjshort05 • Aug 16, 2012.

1. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    What do you like to buy at Dollar Stores and what would you find a waste of money? I will buy things like party bags and coloring books and stickers for my son. Is there anything else that you would say that's good?

2. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, like you, generally stationery items like envelops, greeting cards (value for money if you can get 3 for a dollar/pound), and notepads. I also pick up household cleaners, bleaches and insect repellent sprays. They work and are cheap compared to supermarket prices.

3. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the time I purchase cleaning supplies, or detergent. At the better dollar stores, there are some, I like to buy kitchen items like bowls, pans, plastic items. Which are fairly good quality. I don't usualy buy food stuff.

4. Marchese

MarcheseMember

Threads:
    when i was in university i bought glasses instead of getting them at places like walmart. And i mean glasses you drink out of. mugs stuff like that. saved a lot of money.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I mostly buy cleaning supplies, notebooks, crayons and coloring books. I have also starting buying my monthly feminine products there. It really doesn't make sense for me to spend more than a dollar for those items.

6. polenksz

polenkszMember

Threads:
    My wife likes to buy coloring books and little novelty items for our son. Some cleaning stuff for the house and some plates and glasses for our everyday use. We only use our expensive dinnerware for special occasions. haha She also buys cheap towels that we use for spring cleaning.

7. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    In the UK, the equivalent to dollar stores is Poundland. When we visit the family, I practically empty the shelves. I'll buy food, drinks, kitchen wares, medical supplies, books, DVDs - in fact it would be quicker to tell you what I don't buy from there! If anything looks obviously trashy, I'll give it a miss, and I don't buy cosmetics, as they don't seem to last on the skin like Avon products. I'll always check out Poundland first, though, and I can't walk past one without having a look.

8. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I buy my shampoo and conditioners, feminine hygiene products, toothpaste, shower gels, soap, paper towels, detergent and knick knacks like frames, candles, valances, etc for the house.

9. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I usually just tend to just buy the odd little thing, like a candle or mug. I think I've also gotten a gift bag and tissue paper here and there. I'm a little reluctant to buy much else.

10. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I find a lot of good things at our dollar store. Even glasses and dishes. People always compliment and ask where I got them, and I usually respond, or here and there. lol I also like to buy baby wipes there. All and all I have had good experiences with everything I have purchased from the Dollar store.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Candles, notebooks and cleaning items like Awesome multi purpose cleaner. Some kitchen items and snacks.

12. professionaltightwad

professionaltightwadMember

Threads:
    I buy a ton of stuff at the Dollar Tree, which is the only dollar store in my area now. The store has a lot of brand name goods for a lot cheaper than anywhere else. I don't buy a lot of personal care items, only because I can usually get those for less by using coupons during a sale at other stores.

13. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I buy kitchen items, bathroom items, stationary, things like that. I'll also buy snacks and drinks, sometimes.

14. AutumnFaith2012

AutumnFaith2012Member

Threads:
    I love the Dollar Tree and I often find a lot of great stuff there, but you do have to be careful about what you buy. Because the products come in smaller quantities and sizes, they're $1 price is not really any better than the price of other retail stores. For instance, you can buy Glad-Lock bags for $1 but you only get 10. You can buy Glad-Lock bags at Wal-Mart for $3 and you get 50. The better buy is at Wal-Mart unless you don't want 50 bags and you're buying just for your self. The same goes for other items like dish soap and hand soap.

The best values are the coloring books, school supplies, greeting cards, holiday decorations, and some of the storage containers. Every now and again I will pick up toilet paper, paper towels, toothpaste, toothbrush, and sometimes hair accessories. If you're not picky about brands, make up is another good buy. If you don't have a Wal-Mart or other retail store nearby, then you really can't go wrong with Dollar stores. The products may not be name brand, but they're good and they work well enough. Just remember, you get what you pay for so don't go crazy just because everything is $1 ;)

15. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    I like to buy cleaning stuff and some kitchen things. You can usually get a decent ladle and some melamine plates and glasses. I also like buying mugs because I find so many cute and colorful ones. For my son, I used to buy coloring books and stickers and a few small toys. But had to stop buying stickers, because the last ones I bought were so dried out they they won't even stick.

16. Mama2three

Mama2threeMember

Threads:
    I buy little baskets and bins from the Dollar Tree. I use them for toy organization. I also get "Oxy-clean" at the Dollar Tree. It seems to work just as well as name brand, and runs about $3 cheaper. Disposable party decor comes from there. I also bought a few clear bowls that I use occasionally for condiments when we have company over. I love the Dollar Tree, much better than other Dollar stores.

17. cashmoneybil

cashmoneybilNew Member

Threads:
    I go to the Dollar Store when I need tools such as pliers, screwdrivers, measuring tape, paint brushes and things like that. They are decent quality for the price. I am also a big fan of getting cleaning supplies there. You might not get the best value for the quantity since the sizes are smaller than you would find at Giant or another store but it's a great deal if you only need a small amount. The Dollar Store by me has this great carpet freshener that takes pet smells right out! All you do is spray it on the carpet and that's it. You can also find some fun party supplies at the Dollar Store.

18. Shamarv8

Shamarv8Member

Threads:
    I don't initially buy anything from the dollar store. I get into an argument with the clerk and the manager regarding the reasons as to why I'm not allowed to purchase the store for a dollar. After I rant about false advertisement, I rage quit and leave the store in disgust. I get home and go to quench the thirst I've accumulated from the previously mention discussion. I then step into a puddle of grape juice and see the setting stains on the carpet, triggering the memory that I was supposed to pick up paper towel and cleaning supplies. I then return to the store, purchase said items,and bid the cashier a good day. So yeah...

19. TNSabrina

TNSabrinaMember

Threads:
    I love buying holiday and birthday supplies. I also like buying items for the kitchen, such as aluminum foil, Tupperware, sandwich bags, and much more. I do not really like to buy laundry detergent at the Dollar Tree, because they mainly sell the Sun detergent. I do however like to buy the antibacterial hand-soaps and bath-wash. Come to think of it, I actually buy a huge variety of items!

20. kalasin

kalasinMember

Threads:
    I buy small plastic storage containers, gift wrapping supplies, coloring books, stickers, and some art supplies. We like the Bingo Daubers as "paint markers" as they aren't as messy as regular paint. Oh, and I bought a small glass vase that I refinished and use as a makeup brush holder.