What do you buy at dollar stores?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by tjshort05 • Aug 16, 2012.

1. surlaw

surlawMember

Threads:
    I like to buy Tupperware and pet food when I go to the dollar store. It's the exact same quality as buying them from a bigger store, and cheaper. Sometimes I'll get treats for my family, like little notepads and candies, or sparkly pens. I don't mind buying chips and other snacks from the dollar store, either, but I'd stay away just about any other foodstuffs. I've not heard anything bad about them, but something about it makes me feel strange.

2. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Pretty much anything and everything. I'll hit up the Dollar General if I'm in a hurry and don't want to go through the hassle of going to Wal-Mart or Target. I usually buy everything from shaving cream, razors, candy, shampoo, drinks, toiletries. A little bit of everything pretty much. I find that the prices are competitive with Wal-Mart and it's not as much of a pain in the butt to shop at these stores.

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think a lot of people feel that way. There is just some sort of "stigma" attached to dollar stores and other discount stores for some reason.

I never even used to look at the foodstuffs. I just bypassed those aisles completely. Then, I noticed a brand of bread that normally sells for about $3.50 at Walmart, available for $1.00 at Dollar Tree. I couldn't pass that up. It was the same exact brand, size, and in date, so why not buy it?

Now, I check to see what they have. Not all of it is good, but some of it really is.

4. Sealpikachu

SealpikachuMember

Threads:
    I like to buy coloring books and some school supplies there as well. Pencils, colors, etc, are super cheap there. Notebooks are pretty decent and cheap as well. Decorating stuff for dorm rooms is also very easy to find in these stores.

5. krystalvandross

krystalvandrossNew Member

Threads:
    I buy baking soda, which is like forty cents. Coffee filters, diced tomatoes, really...anything pasta-related. They have noodles and sauce, and I've even seen frozen meatballs in the freezer section. What else? Random candy. Anytime I get a craving for candy, which is not often as I try to stay away, I go candy-shopping at the dollar store. They have all sorts of weird stuff, and the quality, to me, is the same as the namebrand, more costly stuff at the drugstores. I also buy frozen burritos. They cost like $2.99 and up at other stores where they're only a dollar (obviously) at the dollar store and literally the same thing.

I also buy Dermasil, an amazing lotion, and cheapo face wash. The baby products are okayish as well. The coffee mugs are great, too. The coffee mug I've been using for YEARS is from the dollar store. You can find a lot of legit stuff at dollar stores if you have no reservations about shopping there.

6. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I love the Dollar Store or Daiso as well call it here. It isn't literally a dollar per item but more like a dollar and fifty cents. Lol. Here's some of the best items I have bought from there:
    • Liquid Hand Soaps in Big Tubs. For a dollar, they're quite cheap but works well. They smell so good and I don't even feel guilty overusing them. Lol.
    • Lashes. I love the lashes from the dollar store here. They have different kinds and they hold up really well, just like the more expensive ones.
    • Makeup Containers. I have bought my brush container, lipstick container and little drawer for single eyeshadows from the dollar store as well. They are quite sturdy and they also come in cute designs.
    • Stationery Items. I love the little notebooks and pens here. The designs are very cute and always attracts the attention of people around me.
    • Socks. I love purchasing socks from here because they also have cute designs. They're quite thin though so they are only for aesthetic purposes.
    • iPhone Cases. I can buy a lot and switch them up everyday, depending on my mood.

7. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    I like buying notebooks and coloring books at the dollar store. The notebook designs are so cute and the paper is pretty good quality. I also buy some party supplies and tape. I tend to avoid the food items, but sometimes the fruit can be good. I bought a dry erase board once, but when I ripped it out of its packaging, I accidentally peeled off the little plastic covering on which you're supposed to write so it ended up being a waste of a dollar lol.

8. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    Since I am paid monthly, I try to buy the bulk of my monthly needs all at once. And, fortunately, some of my needs can be found at my local dollar store. I purchase dog treats, dog food, cans of green beans, liquid dish soap, freezer bags, and lean pockets. The dollar store really helps me stretch my budget.

9. Naturalbeauty92

Naturalbeauty92New Member

Threads:
    My favorite store is Dollar Tree. I buy cleaning supplies (they have brands like clorox and dawn), snacks, school supplies, decorations, and pretty much anything I see worth the buck lol.

10. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I buy sunglasses and reading glasses. At Dollar Tree they are only $1. They also have delicious sour dough pretzels. Family Dollar is a great place to buy cleaning supplies. I found some good office supplies at these stores too. My sister found a really pretty little mosai tile side table for her couch. I think she only paid $7.

11. Sydney M.

Sydney M.Member

Threads:
    My family and I go to the dollar store for little things all the time. My mom usually buys some cleaning supplies or home-related items, like detergent/fabric softener, disinfectant wipes, etc. She also buys party supplies, like sternos or even balloons. We sometimes purchase cards or holiday decorations there, too, because in stores like Target they tend to be very expensive. Personally, I like to buy their mugs/bowls, because I sell hand-painted ceramics, and for $1 a piece, you can't really get any better than that! I also buy some small travel-size products for trips, their mini candles (my favorite scent there is the black cherry one, it smells so good!), and school supplies.

12. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's a really good idea. I should pick up some mugs to customize too. They tend to have a nice selection of them as well.

The Mylar balloons are great. They are usually at least 3x as much if you buy them anywhere else. They are perfect for birthdays and other special occasions. You can make a bouquet of them at Dollar Tree for not much more than a single balloon would cost elsewhere. They are great for taking to someone in the hospital as well (instead of paying those hospital gift shop prices).

I'll have to check out the candles. I usually buy emergency candles there, but I'll have to see about those cherry ones. :)

13. Sydney M.

Sydney M.Member

Threads:
    I was surprised when I realized how awesome the candles were, so definitely check them out. I love the selection of ceramics/glassware they have, too, because at any other store (even Walmart), they sell for $5+.

14. jonthai

jonthaiMember

Threads:
    Every time I go to a dollar store I usually buy things like glue,shoe tiers etc. Common things that i need to fix things that I broke.I also go there to buy phone cases,computer accessories and other small objects that I may find interesting.

15. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I go to Dollar Tree about once a month, and what I buy there has changed over the years. Initially, I would buy a lot of items such as freebies, wrapping paper and gift bags, and also shipping supplies for my shops. I still buy some of those, but I also stock up on foam board now, as well as purchasing small dish pans that I use for disposable litter boxes. Because my cats are fussy, I keep 5, for only 3 cats, and although I clean them, once they get grooves from the scratchy cleaning pads I use, I toss them and use another. I often keep about 5 unused ones on hand. My big cat prefers the larger box, but the 2 girls are smaller, and seem to feel more secure in the smaller boxes.

16. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Those dish pans come in handy for lots of things. I used to buy them to organize the kiddos' toys. They each had several under their beds to keep different types of toys separated. One for coloring stuff, one for toy food, one for blocks or Lego's, etc. Plus, there was the added benefit of them only dumping one small container of toys on the floor at one time, ha ha.

I like to go into Dollar Tree and just look for little stuff for my grandkids too. There is always something fun to pick up. We bought a set of Playdoh tools (kind of like cookie cutters and whatnot) and a toy cell phone on the last visit.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sadly we don't have dollar stores in here, but if ever we do I would probably buy those cheap $1 earphones/headphones because over here I buy those stuff at the same price, and they are quite decent already if you're not that finicky.

18. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Generic and simple stuff that don't rely much on quality to end up being a good deal. (is a poor idea to buy cheap generic headsets or PC peripherals for example) Like rubber balls, toys for dogs - made of non toxic material-,
    socks, regular shirts, wristbands, glue, christmas decoration, bandana, hats,
    etc. Some cheap items are a real bargain given how simple they, like a set of plastic hangers and several other like Shampoo.

19. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The dollar store I have near me actually has a lot of cool stuff and a wide selection of different things. So I buy things like candy, chips, drinks, books and toys. They also have household items like kitchen towels, bowls, cups and more. So if I'm in need of something and am tight on cash the dollar store is my go to especially since it's about 5 minutes down the road.

20. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    I only go for some personal hygiene items. I know a lot of people probably don't like paying cheap for soap, lotions, but I on't care. As a matter of fact now that I think about it, I only go for hygiene products.

They have this cologne that I always buy, and people like it. When they ask how much I paid, and where I got it, I tell them the truth, and they assume I'm lying.

It smells good, there is no need to pay $50, or even more than $100 dollars for something that will not be on you all day anyway. I used to work for a perfume/cologne manufacturing company...eu de parfum, etc, I don't remember all the other names, it's just cologne to me, I don't care how long it last on my skin.