What do you buy at dollar stores?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by tjshort05 • Aug 16, 2012.

1. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I will buy Tupperware, detergent, shampoo, deodorant, kitchen utensils, and some back to school stuff. I don't get into the hassle of questioning why everything isn't for a dollar because even though it's advertised as a dollar store I know that not everything there could be sold for a dollar so I just look for the best bargain that is available.

2. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJMember

Threads:
    I shop at a dollar store only a few times a year, mostly to buy mylar balloons for parties, paper plates, gift bags and a few other 'knick-knacks' that can be used as party favors or holiday decorations. I tried to buy kites, outdoor decorations and food storage containers but the brands they had available in the store were not of good quality and soon had to be discarded so I found it was more cost-effective to spend a little extra money for these items, among others.

3. alvinsalls

alvinsallsNew Member

Threads:
    i usually buy plastic containers. Wide variety of those. Coloring books are great. I need them all the time for my kids. They eat them :)

4. Burungu

BurunguNew Member

Threads:
    The Dollar store is a true gift from heaven for anyone with a tight budget or someone who values cheap stuff. When I spot a dollar store I know that I have to pay it a visit. You know, just to take a peek or see if they might have something for me. Usually something small is good enough for purchase; booklets, candy or even a new pen. It's the idea that counts for me.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It surprised me to find that of the two local Dollar Trees, although they stock many of the same items, there are a few differences. I am used to purchasing small garbage bags there that I then use when I'm scooping the litter boxes. I was at one Dollar Tree last week and they didn't stock them, but I went to another yesterday, and there they were. This is an item I will specifically go to Dollar Tree for, since it saves me about $3-$4 per package over the next most affordable brand, so it's something that will draw me into the store, and then I'll purchase other things. I always make sure to tell them that when I do the surveys, but it doesn't really seem to make a difference.

I used to buy a lot of business/shipping type supplies at Dollar Tree, which is pretty much the only dollar store i shop at. They no longer carry most of what I used to buy, and they have lost quite a bit of my business because for that reason. They still have some great deals, but I miss being able to go in there and spend $50 for what would cost me a lot more elsewhere.

If I have to go to Office Depot or Walmart for some of those other items, I'm also going to be buying other goods at those stores that I'd otherwise have purchased at Dollar Tree. I think they do such a huge business that they probably don't care about losing a little of my money, but I still shop there. I've started buying a few things I didn't used to buy there, such as pizza sauce, instant coffee, and some canned goods.

6. Joel7050

Joel7050New Member

Threads:
    Normally I just walk in and see what they have that's good. I end up buying stationary, daily items like envelopes, tape, rubberbands, and if I see a good dollar deal I definitely get them.

7. bludiamond62

bludiamond62New Member

Threads:
    i buy household products,cat toys,cake mix n frosting,cookies,pizza'syou can purchase grocery from some dollar stores..they have freezers..beauty products ,tools,i have purchase dawn,body wash,batteries,,shasta soda,lipton tea,female products..i go to dollar store before going to walmart tho

8. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I don't actually think it's a waste of money in buying things from the Dollar shop since most of them aren't cheap and in good quality just like the tree accessory compartment which I bought as well as the Tea Tree facial scrub that I've been using for quite a while now and I find really gentle and effective. I bought it for $5 and been using it for 2 months now :)

9. Natasha0717

Natasha0717Active Member

Threads:
    That's a good question! :)

Dollar stores are GREAT for these items. And this is just my opinion:

Kleenex
    Toothpaste
    Mouthwash
    Paper plates
    Decorations
    Candles
    Socks
    Hand soap
    Dish soap
    Make-up
    :D:D:D

10. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Yes as yourself I like the stationary there and find them to be a good price and good quality. I also like buying some kitchen or house decorations. The plates and cups are also fine and most of all the organization bins. I love the dollar store as we can find many things we would find at other stores at a higher price. I really don't buy batteries or food from there unless I see they are worth the prize.

11. Rosemary

RosemaryNew Member

Threads:
    I didn't read through all the replies but when I used to go to the dollar store or the 99 cent store which is better and bigger in my area, I would but mostly cleaning products and gift bags....seldom any food unless I was sure it was from the USA.

I think the best bargains are the gift bags, they can cost a lot other places and people usually just throw them away.

12. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    What I buy at a dollar store all depends on the store itself. All dollar stores are not created equal, lol. Take for instance Dollar Tree; in a store like that, I can spend a lot of money on everything from home decor items, to cleaning items, food, toiletries, books. Dollar Tree has a wide variety of really good, ever-changing items, and I love shopping there.
    Other dollar stores are okay, but not my favorite. I have kind of a pet-peeve with dollar stores that charge more than one dollar for any given item... I don't like the false advertising to get people into the store.

13. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    @tjshort05@tjshort05 We have quite a few pound shops in the UK and I can spend a long time looking through each of their shelves. I like it when it is Christmas as they have some good decorations and gift ideas.

Recently I mislaid my glasses and so instead of going to the opticians and paying for an expensive new pair, I popped into my local pound store and bought 5 pairs instead!

#213Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2017
  14. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I stopped at Dollar Tree this morning. I bought fabric softener, hair clips, a box of Whale crackers for my daughter, frozen blueberries (no sugar added), and I grabbed a cold, 20 ounce diet soda for a buck for the ride home.

I get 55 dryer sheets instead of 40. These particular hair clips I can't find anywhere else, and even if I could they would cost more. The crackers are the same size package offered in other stores. They are a dollar at Dollar General too but more at other places, and DG isn't really my favorite place to shop. A soda that size is usually around $1.79 in other stores, so even that was a good savings.

15. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I like buying things like cleaning agents such as detergents and all sorts of soaps both for washing and bathing. Once in a while I buy kitchen utensils, buy wears and at celebration times like the Yuletide I get some gift items too. Many times I am more drawn to making these purchases when I am sure to enjoy good pricing.

16. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Anything that I know I can afford to have break or not work. I just have to know this going in to the store and then go from there, because they just do not last long, which is fine as long as you know not to waste any money.

17. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I think a lot of people attach this stigma to dollar store items. In some cases, the items may well be junky. It can be a little hit or miss, but for a buck, it's worth a try to me. In many cases, I find that the items are very similar (if not exactly the same) as those offered in other stores for more money.

Package sizing is another thing to watch out for to make sure you are getting a good deal. I buy the things that are a good deal and leave the rest behind. Still, I save a lot of money buy picking up the things that do work for me for just a dollar. Why pay 3 times as much for little things if you don't have to?

18. kingcool52

kingcool52Active Member

Threads:
    Well we have pound stores over here (or some 99p stores). They do have quite a lot of good stuff to be honest. I tend to buy chocolate from there and sometimes crisps. Other than that I won't buy anything as most of the time there are better deals at supermarkets. People tend to think everything in these stores are bargains but sometimes they're over priced and people still fall for their tricks

19. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I like to buy the "Nature's Own" bread along with the danish strawberry preserves that they sell and together they make for a nice,light breakfast.
    The preserves have some big pieces of strawberry in them and spread on rather thick on your toast.

I would like to see though with the dollar store theme, a more upscale type of store that would look like a village store, and would sell healthy fruits and vegetables as well. I am thinking more like a "Target" kind of upscale dollar store?

#219Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  20. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I only ever buy anything that I consume. I usually can get nice sweets and other food items for really cheap so why not. I have not been to one in a good while though.