What do you buy at dollar stores?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by tjshort05 • Aug 16, 2012.

1. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I would like to venture to say that dollar store is a store that sells imported goods, commodities and everything from office supplies to toiletries, from groceries to hardware items, from foods to electronics, etc. We have several malls here, a big mall for that matter that sells imported items. My wife always visit that mall when I receive my year-end bonus. She has a lot of things purchased but they are not cheap for our currency is lesser compared to a dollar.

2. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    The Nature's Own bread is the exact same thing found in other stores, except that at Dollar Tree it costs (obviously) a dollar. Right across the street at Walmart, it costs 3 bucks per loaf - same size, same varieties, different prices.

I think I'm going to start another thread that we can update all the time with our latest purchases, so everyone can see what's new. It will be specifically for Dollar Tree, since not all dollar store are created equal.

I don't know that we'll ever see such a thing as an 'upscale' dollar store, but I like the idea. You could get nice items, but you'd probably get very little of each one for just a dollar.

3. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I buy craft supplies in those dollar stores here, such as yarn, felt, knitting needles as I hardly find them locally and these can be really expensive if I buy them in craft shops. I started to buy these craft supplies online from a China shopping website (Taobao) which are much cheaper, though it takes longer time for me to receive the products.

4. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I pick up some craft supplies from time to time as well. I even found brand name Mod Podge. I grabbed one small bottle, but I need to figure out the price per unit ratio yet to see if it's actually a good deal.

I did make another thread specifically for Dollar Tree. I saw this on another forum once, and people kept it updated so no one missed out on any of the good deals they were having. It was fun, and there was lots of stuff I would have missed otherwise, including a deal they had for a 24 pack of Excedrin one time. It was a great deal for a buck, plus someone posted coupons too. One woman found $1 off coupons, so she got her Excedrin for free.

The thread is here if anyone is interested:

I try to stop in there once a week when I'm in the city, so I'll try to keep updating what I find.

5. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @thisnthat@thisnthat Yes I visited your Dollar Tree thread and shared my views on that but as far where I am living right now the scenario is altogether different because the second you enter in one such store they have almost everything there. I am amazed to see that a newcomer to this country almost set up their house.

You can even get all your house hold items, or if you're planning to throw a party you can grab snacks, candy, snacks, souvenirs etc. Besides, you can purchase items for your kitchen, toiletries, hardware and costumes but clothes here are always last on my list as I am not comfortable with their looks.

#225Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
  6. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I think overall the Dollar Tree offers a good selection of the product you are looking for,as far as some things go,and probably does this better than most stores in general. Take for instance the selection of toothpaste at Dollar Tree stores,they don't have,just one brand of toothpaste for a dollar,but many to select from,and they all run a dollar. And also like shaving razors,they have a huge selection as well,but all are a dollar of course. Go to other stores and they might have only one of these brands for a dollar to pick from,as far as toothpaste and razors go?

7. melissa1024

melissa1024New Member

Threads:
    I like to buy some cleaning, laundry, and personal care supplies there. I also buy toilet tissue, Kleenex, paper towels,and such from there. I buy note pads and coloring supplies for my daughter there as well. You can find some good bargains at the dollar stores.

8. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    I like buying toilet paper, dishwashing soap, cookies, and drinks. My family and I shop at the dollar store sometimes because the prices are low and you can really save a lot of money. Another thing we end up getting is laundry detergent and if I didn't get it at the other store then I would also buy some trash bags as well. If I see something at the dollar store that I'm into then I'll definitely buy it like arts and crafts or anything else that is interesting. You can find good high quality products at a dollar store but you just have to keep looking until you find something.