What do you buy at dollar stores?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by tjshort05 • Aug 16, 2012.

1. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wonder if the baking pans at the Dollar Tree work okay. I saw some pizza pans and cookie sheets there that looked decent and are allegedly made of steel. I might buy a couple. What's the worst that can happen?

Has anyone tried the Cooking Concepts baking pans at Dollar Tree?

2. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I buy a variety of things. I've bought frames, paper towel and toilet paper. I've also bought home goods such as window valances, candles and frangrance sprays. I've bought hygiene products, shampoo and conditioner and makeup as well. On certain occassions where I know I'll have company, I'll buy snacks and munchies too, including food for the cat. I love the dollar store. It's a godsent when you are strapped for money.

3. catevanne

catevanneMember

Threads:
    Some of the kids clothes at our dollar store are real cute; I also buy the shoes-Kidget brand-they run about $6.00 and the kids love them....I go to the dollar store for just about anything but food! I think they have some good deals on cleaning supplies and office supplies too.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just bought Ultra Concentrated dish soap at Dollar Tree for $1 for a huge 50 ounce bottle and it does a good job of lathering and cutting grease. I also bought the Ultra Concentrated laundry detergent but haven't had a chance to do a load of laundry yet. It got a lot of 5 star reviews on the website.

5. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    I buy anything that's a good deal. We used to call these stores the dime store when I was young. There was a store I remember called Kress I think and another called TG&Y. The dollar store is full of bargains and many household grocery items are cheaper. I find cleaning supplies, paper towels, toilet paper and many food staples are less expensive than the grocery store. But anything I happen to need, if it's cheaper at the dollar store, I get it. I recently bought a very nice laundry hamper with liner for 3.75.

6. vrobnson

vrobnsonNew Member

Threads:
    When I make my grocery list, the dollar store is the first stop! Whatever I don't find at the dollar store (or whatever I prefer not to buy there) is purchased at regular stores. I love Dollar Tree and when I go I buy cleaning supplies, candles (not when I want real scented candles though; I just buy for the ambience), decorating supplies, gift bags, snacks to make trail mix, foil (my Dollar Tree has Reynolds Wrap!), artificial sweetener and some condiments. I also like to check out their dishes. It depends on the season, but I have found some really cute matching plates, bowls, and mugs in the Dollar Tree.

7. mistyn

mistynNew Member

Threads:
    I agree Dollar Stores are great for Party Supplies and supplies for Teaching as well. We mainly shop at Dollar Store for Holiday Decor, it's cheap and we can change it often. My mother loves to buy there streamers to make curtains. And the flowers to make table decorations and wreaths, so basically there is a little something for everyone.

8. mistyn

mistynNew Member

Threads:
    I have but these are not pans that will last a lifetime. I mainly use the pans to bake during the holidays. The pans I am talking about are the roster pans, as for the pizza pans and the cookie sheets. They may last about a year, maybe a little more depending on how you care for them. But, they are a great temporary solution when you are in the process of change in the home. Dollar Tree has recently teamed up with Betty Crocker and now offers her products in the store. The Betty Crocker products are more durable and last longer than others. So, if you see any of the products from that line, it is definitely worth the purchase and the price.

9. annagoryun

annagoryunMember

Threads:
    Oh man Dollarama and Everything For A Dollar were a life saver to mewhen I went shopping for dog stuff. Initially I needed a dog collar and a leash. If you own a dog you would know that sometimes those babies can get expensive if you go to specialized stores, but I ended up buying under 20 dollars a leash, collar, whole bunch of toys, poop bags and a laser pointer. My dog is a big dog and when I bought him toys at a specialized store he still ended up destroying them. You would be surprised, but toys that cost me 10 times less ended up lasting 10 times longer, and they still squeak. The collar and a leash are surprisingly of good quality for a trained dog.

10. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have Poundland in the UK. Poundland is the equivalent of a dollar store, everything in the store costs one pound. I don't bother shopping at Poundland because the value is an illusion. The other supermarkets are actually cheaper when you work out the prices.

11. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    I really like the dollar store, especially the Dollar Tree. Other dollar stores like Family Dollar seem to charge way to much. I like to buy a lot of things at the Dollar Tree like stationary items, little finds that my daughter wants, and even kitchen items like cups, and dishes. I've always thought about buying their plates, but I never know what the quality is on them. I wonder if you can put their plates in the microwave.

12. iRichard

iRichardMember

Threads:
    When I go to the dollar store I usually buy plastic cups, plates, juices, and paper towels. These items that they sell are pretty cheap and more affordable for me. Also, I think that dollar stores are great for selling Halloween costumes.

13. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy snacks juices coloring books pens pencils party stuff things like that i also buy there glass figures too

14. Asuna

AsunaActive Member

Threads:
    I mostly buy notebooks, envelopes, cards and cleaning supplies. Sometimes I buy there my shampoo, soap and candles. It really saves my money.

15. zoeysmama2011

zoeysmama2011Active Member

Threads:
    I have tried those pans and they have worked out fine for me. Sure, they are not the best quality, but they get the job done, especially at such a cheap price. I say go for it. When I go to the dollar stores, I usually purchase side food items, like pasta salad mixes, macaroni shells,pasta sauce, gallons of water. I'm willing to try almost anything from the Dollar Store. If it works, out, great! If found a way cheaper alternative. If not, then I spent next to nothing to try it. I never get detergent and bleach and things like that from dollar stores, because they are more often than not, of poor quality. The only exception to that is Dollar General Stores and Family Dollar, which carry, Tide, Purex,etc.

16. PubD

PubDMember

Threads:
    I tend to buy hand soap, notebooks, and some kitchen stuff. Once in a while as a treat, my son and I will pick out some toys, like cheap lightsabres, swords, or water pistols, and spend a day playing with them until they're demolished. Heck, it's cheaper than going to a movie, and provides more hours of entertainment.

17. YamiPrem

YamiPremNew Member

Threads:
    I'm in UK so we don't have 'dollar stores' but 'pound shops'. :D

I usually don't buy anything that I can figure out will be badly manufactured - like tech stuff. But, I do stick with the branded products, because I know what they are and I know they aren't made of crap. :)

18. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I will buy a great deal of my necessity items such as toothpaste, and shampoo. I will also buy some paper products such as toilet paper and napkins. If I am at the dollar store known as 99 cents only I will also buy many different grocery products.

19. alreenaw

alreenawMember

Threads:
    I buy party supplies and decorations. Occasionally I may pick up a cleaning supply or two. Their glassware and plastic items also come in handy. During the holidays, I get my foil trays for serving from there. There they are only $1, whereas everywhere else they tend to be over $2.

20. iluvmario

iluvmarioActive Member

Threads:
    I love the Dollar Tree, you can't beat that price. I buy Oil Of Olay soap, ziplock bags, ear buds, makeup etc. Not everything there is good but you can get a great deal if you look around.