What do you buy at dollar stores?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by tjshort05 • Aug 16, 2012.

1. Susie

SusieNew Member

Threads:
    I recently went into a dollar store for the first time. Halloween rings, pencils, etc. to hand out to the kids in my neighborhood were very inexpensive, so I stocked up on those items. I would probably go back next year for more goodies for the kids. While I was there I ended up getting some liquid hand soap, but when I tried to use it the pump didn't work. I won't buy that there again.

2. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I went into the pound shop (the equivalent of the dollar store in the UK) a few days ago. I bought a 400g bar of Toblerone for 1 pound, a ridiculous bargain considering they usually sell for 4 pound. I might have to go back and stock up for Christmas.

3. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    I buy a lot of disposables at the Dollar Store. Things like paper plates, wrapping paper, trash bags, etc. I have bought a few other things but I make sure that the dollar I am paying is actually less that what the other stores are charging for the same thing. I have found that sometimes my local grocery store is cheaper than the dollar store.

4. untitled

untitledMember

Threads:
    I buy all my school related items like notebooks and pens, the only thing I buy from a more expensive store is that nice thick five star ruled paper. Really like writing on paper that isn't razor thin.

5. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I would purchase greeting cards, notebooks and other office supplies, candles, and other items that don't require much quality to serve their purposes. Sometimes dollar stores have good snacks, too.

6. Smackz

SmackzNew Member

Threads:
    I primarily go to dollar stores for kids birthday supplies and goody bags. I don't feel the need to enter one for any other reason.

7. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    Would you believe the pregnancy tests at dollar stores work? And they're only $1!! Great value.
    I also buy cards/ envelopes/ stickers. I won't buy food. But I'll buy decorations, etc. glass decorative bowls are nice too!

8. TheMightyEddy

TheMightyEddyMember

Threads:
    Many people may say they buy gifts and such but I never do from the dollar stores. I buy simple ornaments for my house or stuff like that. Also, almost all of the things at the dollar store are cheap in quality.

9. ami560

ami560Member

Threads:
    I mostly get cheap snacks and candy from my local dollar store, and even then I only go occasionally. Other than that, I may pick up general school supplies like pencils and such, but not much more.

10. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I went to the Dollar Tree yesterday and saved tons on buying gift basket bags, wrapping paper, gift tags, aluminum turkey trays and balloons. You can get a helium filled balloon for a dollar! With the prices of helium on the rise, it's a steal at the dollar tree.

11. JLetterman

JLettermanNew Member

Threads:
    If you're talking about true "Dollar Stores" where everything is really a dollar, then you're left to the things you've mentioned and other random items for parties or supplies. If you're talking about the other Dollar Stores around, then household supplies are a wonderful thing to buy there in order to save money. You can buy your paper towels, cleaning supplies, and more for a much cheaper price.

12. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't usually shop at the pound shop (equivalent of the dollar store) but I do pop in occasionally to see what is on offer. Last weekend I spotted a good deal, a bar of 70% Lindt chocolate for 1 pound. They are 1.70-2.00 everywhere else so I bough a few bars for Christmas.

13. APluckeyduck

APluckeyduckMember

Threads:
    My Dollar Store is a great source of low priced household cleansers and food. Since my store is located right next door to our local supermarket, I usually visit the discount store first. I purchase a three pack of aluminum pans, which go for almost three times that in the grocery store. However, the one thing I will not buy from the dollar store is fake Oreo cookies. My kid refuses to eat them, even if I empty the pack into the cookie jar and dispose of the packaging. He always figures it out.

#73Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  14. Redstone

RedstoneNew Member

Threads:
    Ill be honest, I buy only use dollar stores to buy Junk Food, and maybe the occasional pen. The main reason I go to dollar stores is to buy another pack of marshmallows or maybe a bag of chips. If only high quality goods were sold for a dollar, life would be a dream.

15. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually buy craft supplies there. We stock up on canvas too, my youngest loves to paint. I've made tons of expensive looking decor items with bits and pieces I pick up there, it's a little addiction I have. I like dollar stores during the Christmas season too. If you can get past the sparkles on every inch of your body after leaving, there are usually some pretty great finds for the tree or decorating the house in general. I'm not into cheap.. but sometimes you can make cheap look great :)

16. cmilliken

cmillikenMember

Threads:
    You cannot expect quality products from a dollar store. That said, I generally purchase bulk items from dollar stores, such as printer paper and pencils. Occasionally I will buy shower supplies (i.e. body wash, soap, shampoo) from these stores, but not often as they are not of good value. Dollar stores are also good for buying cheap tools. I will purchase items such as tarps, bungee cords, flashlights, and screwdrivers as these are good bargains. They are terrible quality, but they are decent for the use you can get out of them. The items such as the tarps and the bungee cords will eventually rip, but they can be easily - and very cheaply - replaced.

17. EdenSB

EdenSBActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to buy snack foods from dollar stores and sometimes soda. There are occasionally some good deals on those.

From the dollar stores where things aren't always a dollar, I tend to buy things like plates, bowls and similar goods. I've bought things for parties too, like plastic cups and cutlery.

18. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    Snack foods as well. Sometimes I buy paper towels, napkins, and general use stuff. They have a lot of things in dollar stores, so I check every item and see if I need them.

19. MrsR

MrsRMember

Threads:
    I buy a lot of things at the Dollar Store. I have one that's nearby to my house so I run there a lot to get stuff since it is so close. I buy pet food, cleaning items, makeup, grocery items, paper products, shampoo, gardening supplies, pain reliever etc...I buy pretty much everything there. Over the past several years, the Dollar Store has gotten more brand name products, not that I buy them all the time, but the quality of their stuff has went up. It used to be just a lot of junky stuff in there, but now it's not. I would much rather go there than to Walmart. There's no waiting forever in the checkout and I can get in and out pretty quick.

20. crazycroc

crazycrocMember

Threads:
    I buy all sorts of things at dollar stores although sometimes I don't even go there looking for it. Some things I've bought are,

• Office supplies
    • Candy
    • Picture frames
    • Classware
    • MP3 to Cassette
    • Organizers
    • Water guns