What do you buy at dollar stores?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by tjshort05 • Aug 16, 2012.

1. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    At Dollar Tree, where everything is $1, I pick up a lot of things. I like buying seasonal items and decorations, party supplies, birthday cards, balloons, gift bags, tissue for gift bags, lots of cleaning supplies, some health and beauty stuff (but watch the sizes...it's sometimes cheaper to buy them at Walmart or the grocery store), some seasonings and random things like their Fat Chef kitchen towels, burner covers, etc. Some of their kitchen utensils are pretty good, like the Betty Crocker ones, and they match my red Fat Chef kitchen. Some of them are kind of flimsy, though, so be careful.

2. sking61

sking61Member

Threads:
    I buy chips, candy, sometimes bread, plastic utensils, sleep wear, slippers, toddler pajamas, hair accessories, batteries, sewing accessories, paper towel, tissue, and what ever else that is needed at the time.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like the Betty Crocker stuff from Dollar Tree, it's durable and everything matches if you have a red kitchen.
    I bought the Cooking Concepts baking sheets and cake pans for $1 because I read online that as long as you keep them dry, they won't rust for a while. So they're temporary pans until I can afford a set of Oneida baking pans.

4. kshultz06082

kshultz06082New Member

Threads:
    I shop at Dollar Tree all the time. I mostly buy holiday decorations, party favors, household cleaners, things that quality is not necessarily the most important thing. They do carry good quality items though. The cleaning supplies, I think, are better than some I have bought in grocery stores and other stores. School supplies are another item that are good quality and much less expensive than Walmart or Target. My favorite thing about Dollar Tree is that they accept manufacturers coupons now. I get a lot of free stuff there! One dollar is great, but free is incredible!

5. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I have heard that some dollar stores take coupons. Is this true? Does the Dollar Tree take coupons? I have seen tons for the hand soaps they sell. I'd be able to get some super cheap hand soap if this were the case. I love buying air fresheners and laundry soap there.

6. kshultz06082

kshultz06082New Member

Threads:
    I am in Connecticut. They take coupons here but I am not sure if it is a national thing. I would check their website. They only started taking them in CT maybe 4 months ago. I did call my local store when I first heard that they were taking coupons to confirm it.

7. jpfm25

jpfm25New Member

Threads:
    I go to our local dollar store to buy paper plates and paper cups. They seem sturdy enough to be put in use. Our dollar store also has different types of cables like, RCA, Aux, and HDMI. I wouldn't recommend the RCA and Aux cables because they are a bit flimsy, but the HDMI cable gets the job done. Although it is a bit flimsy, I don't usually move around the devices that require HDMI cables.

8. jilliansorenson

jilliansorensonNew Member

Threads:
    I buy produce at the 99 cent only store. You can get neat stuff like mangoes, pineapple, bananas, salads, a bag of apples, and so forth for 99 cents, you'd never see those prices in a regular grocery store. Only caution, the produce is usually already pretty ripe, so you have to use it up quick! I once bought a tie for my boyfriend there just because the store was a client of his.

9. Soliloquy

SoliloquyMember

Threads:
    I buy stuff at the dollar store all the time, but I'm wary of the stuff imported from China. There have been so many scandals involving toxic and even radioactive materials in their products. And you know something imported from that far away and still sold at a low price had to have some corners cut in manufacture.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Dollar Tree does take coupons. It is their policy nationwide and you can print it out on their website. Dollar Tree sells Softsoap hand soap and Colgate toothpaste for $1, so if you have those coupons, you can get those items for 75 cents.

11. Nikilee

NikileeNew Member

Threads:
    I buy glassware (wine glasses, plates, etc) at the Dollar Store, they are very sturdy. I also buy my movie candy there, and small toys like silly string or glow sticks for the fourth of July.

I don't buy boxed or bagged food (other than candy). Oh and helium balloons, you can't beat a dollar per balloon and they end up lasting way longer than the balloons I purchase from any other store!!

12. inb4

inb4Member

Threads:
    I tend to only buy snacks or drinks from dollar stores. Those to me are the least sketchy items since you can tell if they've been open or not. Also it's easy to tell if they have been sealed properly and if they have been tampered to or not.

13. Daishana

DaishanaNew Member

Threads:
    Well, there is alot of things your missing out on. I shop at "Family Dollar" every 2 weeks. I buy all my cleaning prouduct from there. Like bleach, dish soap. laundry soap, Tilex the list goes on. I found that there is no better bargain for cleaning products then the family dollar. And it's not some off brand of products, it's great things that you know will get the job done.

14. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    I had no idea, nor would I have expected, that Dollar Tree accepted coupons!! Thanks for the tip.

You'll have to make a note of what they sell that offers coupons, though. A lot of their items are off-brands. I bet you can get some great items for free, though, using coupons with their travel-sized items (as long as the coupon doesn't explicitly exclude the travel sizes).

15. oracewx

oracewxNew Member

Threads:
    I usually get items that I use a lot but often lose it before I can finish using it like eraser, glue, paper clips etc etc and some plastic cups to be used in the kitchen.

It's pretty nice to get those kind of items for such a cheap price!

16. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I buy a little bit of everything I guess. School supplies, kitchen supplies etc. I especially like buying kitchen utensils there cause they are cheap I can stack up on those, then of course the school supplies is another plus things like pencils,pens, colors, paper etc. I also like getting some of our snacks there and things for the car as well, and don't get me started on decorations for the house, I love buying them too. So many things you can find at the dollar store!!

17. liverr

liverrNew Member

Threads:
    I like to buy some of the name brand items found at the local dollar general for discounted prices. If I am at a true dollar store where everything is a dollar I buy paper towels, envelopes, snacks, and other items that don't really differentiate in quality just because of name brand. Dollar stores are an excellent thing and people should use them but take care when buying certain items.

18. jamoe

jamoeNew Member

Threads:
    I buy lots of things from dollar stores. I don't usually buy food or clothing, although I bought food last week. I made a meal from about $6-$7 that lasted me three days! I got a box of Pasta Salad, some cans of vegetables, some fresh vegetables, a can of tuna, and I was set. I was proud for my first discount dinner/lunch that was about on par with camping food but not too terrible. The meal lasted me so long because I am too used to cooking for my family or with my boyfriend and so I tend to make too much when it is only for me.

A lot of the cleaning products seem to work fine for me. I think it just depends on what it is you are buying. If you are allergic to lots of things, I don't think dollar stores are a good bet for health, self-care, or cleaning, but if you aren't allergic, then it you can a lot of those things for far cheaper than you normally would. The stationery also works great although the pens and pencils are so-so. I once bought a bunch of kids puzzle books from a dollar store when I was teaching that worked very well for little kids!

It's funny because I saw an article on this very topic on what is worth it or not from the dollar store recently. The article is here:

19. asteriks

asteriksMember

Threads:
    I usually get ice cream, notebooks, candies and also helium balloons. Sometimes, they do have the premium brands of ice cream in store for a limited time. I have also gotten Toblerone chocolate bars on the cheap here compared to other stores and the best thing was they were still a few months away from expiry.

20. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    When I go to Dollar stores (or Pound stores as we call them in the UK) I tend to buy cleaning equipment and gardening stuff as there is lots on sale and seems to be good quality. :)