What do you buy at dollar stores?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by tjshort05 • Aug 16, 2012.

1. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy cleaning supplies at the dollar store in my neighborhood they have house hold items like bowls cups and things like that. So when I go I usually buy things like books and toys for the kids, household items like dish towels, silverware and what not also I get cleaning supplies as well.

2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I usually buy cleaning products and personal care products such as shampoo. I may also buy a novelty of my liking, but the last I bought was a wall clock that I was really needing for me new apartment.

Just moved into a couple of months ago and I'm not yet done setting it up, but the dollar stores are helping a lot to save money... Ah! also bought some Christmas decors a few days ago.

3. RedNeckJiuJitsu

RedNeckJiuJitsuNew Member

Threads:
    As others have stated, we get some cleaning supplies from Dollar Tree. I've also found their caffeine pills to be the cheapest I've found, and that their "Ice Cold" anasthetic gel, while not quite as good as Icy Hot, is still good for sore muscles and such, if you cover the area you use it on. Some things, like shampoo, toothpaste, and such, are actually a few cents cheaper at Wal-Mart for the same size.

4. AskJeeves

AskJeevesMember

Threads:
    I only go to dollar stores when I happen to be walking by. I always buy gum and candy, just because you can't beat their price. I also tend to buy the odd cup or class here and there. I remember just recently going and buy a mop, broom, and the smaller scale of a broom to pick dirt up. Birthday cards are also another must buy at dollar stores. I always got to the nearest dollar store for any party supplies.

5. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    There are very few things I buy from the dollar store.

The only stuff I would consider buying would be household items. I would buy dryer sheets, paper towels, paper, etc. I would rarely buy any food products unless I just had no cash.

6. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    I love dollar stores, especially Dollar Tree. They have some really good deals. I buy all of my cleaning products from Dollar Tree, toothpaste, some dishes, bins and baskets for organizing my home, as well as other things. They are a good place to shop at, especially for items such as cleaning products, because cleaning products don't last forever, so I try to pay as little as possible for them.

7. XxMotleyCrueXx

XxMotleyCrueXxNew Member

Threads:
    I love going with my dad to pick out stuff I want to buy at the Dollar Tree, some things I often buy are snacks, envelopes, paper, shampoo, soap, beauty products, and cleaning products. The items there are really cheap (everything there is only a $1.00) so it is worth it. Great store

8. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I purchase all my cleaning supplies from the Dollar Store like bleach, pine oil, tube scrubs, etc. I like shopping at the dollar store most time when my funds are kinds low. I can buy some off brand items to last until pay day. Somethings i think are a waste of money I don't bother with. My kids buy a lot of there school supplies from there. Overall I like shopping at the dollar store it has saved me money many days.

9. Daria

DariaMember

Threads:
    I love the coloring books at the dollar store. I shop for a lot of things there. I avoid the food, both animal and human. Everything else is free game. Sometimes they have a good deal on home fragrances, toilet paper, paper towels and cleaning supplies. I also like getting the older kids treats too. I like that I can give them each a few bucks, and they can get something enjoyable. My 11 year old likes to get jewelry, which is also cheap.

10. yambfas

yambfasMember

Threads:
    I think it depends on what area in the country you're shopping in. When I lived up north (NY), I avoided dollar stores like the plague, except for a few non-chain, local stores that were OK, if you picked through the stuff. But living down south now, I find myself shopping at dollar stores pretty regularly. I don't like Dollar Tree for the most part, but Dollar General is great. There are some food items I probably wouldn't buy there, but stuff like chips, cookies, etc. are fine mostly. Actually, I found some snacks at Dollar General that are among my favorites (they make a great knock-off of Thin Mints!) I get most of my household products there, including a lot of first aid supplies. For the most part, I think the products are the same as what you'd get at a grocery store, but it's just not as well maintained of a store.

11. amandak

amandakNew Member

Threads:
    I buy basic health and beauty products like nail files (36 for $1!), travel tissue packs, bandaids, travel size medicine. I also do gift bags and stuff like that. Surprisingly though, I think their best products are dishware! They have ceramic mugs, bowls, and plates for $1 each. And their colors and prints are pretty cute and the quality seems pretty good.

I agree, people often scoff at the foods available at the dollar store, but they're usually the same items available at grocery stores for 3x the price! I love their snack selection!

#131Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2014
  12. Ruth

RuthMember

Threads:
    For one, I like to buy all kinds of different seasonal home decorations from dollar stores. I've found that some things like these cost up to 70% less in dollar stores than they do in party supply shops. Also, cleaning products are a lot cheaper on dollar stores than anywhere else.

I would really recommend to buy toys from dollar stores, though. I've got a few things for my nephew and it was a mistake. They toys were really badly made, and pieces started to fall off on the first day.

13. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I love dollar stores! I always try to buy detergent, cleaning supplies, kitchen things, and crafty stuff from dollar stores. Things like cosmetics and bath stuff? Not so much, because it seems like they have a lot of outdated, off-brand stuff that I really don't want to put on my face or skin. But the cleaning supplies from dollar stores are great because they are cheap but still get the job done! Sometimes they do have good food and drinks there as well, so I will sometimes buy those as well.

14. Manny

MannyMember

Threads:
    I frequent a Dollarama near my house for a couple things here and there. They have decent plates for really cheap. I usually buy stuff like dish soap, scrubs and paper towel there. I don't notice that the quality is any worse, but they're definitely cheaper.

15. winsomenotions

winsomenotionsMember

Threads:
    I don't shop at dollar stores often because low quality products don't tend to last long. Once in a while, however, I will go to a dollar store and buy present related supplies. Gift bags, bows, balloons; I feel like all of these items are a really good deal at dollar stores. Helium balloons cost 3 or 4 times as much in regular stores compared to dollar store. I also buy holiday themed items if I know that I won't need them for long.

16. Mafdet

MafdetMember

Threads:
    I love dollar stores! And I usually buy either mugs or notebooks, toys. Depending on the store I also like trying out interesting objects that I've never used before, weird looking things or things that you can't really find anywhere else. Pens with invisible ink, colored post-its, hair combs, kitchen related items, I can't even remember them all :)

17. juancarlos

juancarlosMember

Threads:
    Dollar stores are a real good place to keep you supplied with pens, books and pencils and envelopes. They have everything you need of the smaller or more common items.

18. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    So true! And this is the right place too when it comes to buying seasonal items at a low cost, particularly if you are going to give away some stuff, or you are going to hold a party home, at which is preferably put up cheap decoration that does not matter if guests break, that putting up your fine porcelain, so to speak.

19. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    The Dollar Store has some great items at a great price. I once walked through to pick up some muffin liners and found Purell - the actual brand name large bottle for $2.00. I think in the drug store it sells for around $8-9. My go to purchases at the Dollar store are gift bags, birthday cards, kitchen tongs, spatula, organizational baskets for kitchen and bathroom, stickers, lollipops. I always go to different Dollar Stores looking for loot bag items. I once found these great stuffed animals that are like pillow pals. We gave each kid at the party one of these. They were only $3.

20. erbmusic

erbmusicNew Member

Threads:
    When I go to a dollar store, I usually buy paper goods (paper plates, napkins...). I will also buy zip-locks and plastic silverware. House cleaning products are also great to buy there.