What do you do with books when you've finished reading them?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by WitchyPop • Mar 8, 2013.

1. whatupswags

whatupswagsMember

Threads:
    What a great idea! I have had to sell off so many great books due to a big move, and it was like losing a leg. I think a lot of times, I'll read a book, then put it on the shelf as a sort of "intelligence trophy," like "look what I've read." I think we have to be very serious about our books, and if we are not legitimately going to read or access them again, they should be passed onto a loving owner elsewhere. Thanks for these ideas; I will definitely be passing my other books along - I don't need trophies!

2. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    When I have finished reading a book I will lend it to friends and then it will go up on my bookshelf ready for me to maybe read again every couple of years. I have resisted the temptation to stop buying books and just buy a kindle, I like having a line of books on a shelf in my bedroom. :)

3. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    I keep mine. I have so many. It's cluttering my life and I need to get rid of them. I feel a purge coming on. I never re-read a book, so why do I keep them??

4. Asuna

AsunaActive Member

Threads:
    I try to buy only books which I want to keep for myself. It's fortunate I have a spacious flat with a lot of bookshelves. Sometimes, when I don't really like a particular book I sell it online or donate it to local library.

5. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    When I finish a book I put it aside so that I can read it again. I hardly ever get rid of books because I like to read and I like to reread books that I like. I have a lot of books and many of them I have read more than five times. I just don't like to get rid of a book I like even though I have finished reading it. I would rather keep it to reread later.

6. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I usually donate the books to charity. I have never thought about giving them to the libraries. That's a good idea.

7. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on how much I enjoyed it. If I like it, I will keep it. If not, I will sell it, donate it, or give it to a friend.

8. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I use to keep all the books I bought. And then I started moving a lot. And each time I moved I had to get rid of the books I didn't re-read. I used to donate them to the public library. But then I noticed some of them had either a limit or didn't accept donations at all. I was really surprised and saddened by that. So, I started throwing them away. I think that made me feel worse than being turned down by the library. It feels like such a waste to throw books away. I cry more for books than I do for appliances and clothes.

I actually didn't know that these other organizations accepted book donations. This is nice to know and will be useful in the future. Thanks!

9. wahmee

wahmeeMember

Threads:
    I can't throw them out, my heart won't let me. I have a book rack specially for them. I use the pretty ones in parts of my decoration around the house for things like giving height to a candleabra

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have two book shelves at home and they're full of the books I've had the privilege of reading. I don't throw away or give out old books because I have the tendency to re-read them on a whim or during sudden bursts of nostalgia. I always choose books that I like so it's rare for me to dispose of or sell one. I sold a few in the past for financial reasons and bought them again when I became solvent.

11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I don't donate books. Don't get me wrong, but I'm just really an avid book-hoarder, and my books are really treasures to me. After reading a book, I would keep it and put it on my bookshelf. Sometimes, I would lend them to my closest friends.

12. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I make plans about when I would be reviewing them, but these plans could just cancel themselves out when I don't have the time or when I have to devote time for something else. I re-read books for different purposes, and when I am done with them I put them back on the shelves. Every once in a while I dust my book collections. I don't lend out my books to friends. I also don't sell them to either friends or the general public. When I need to read these books again at a later date, I would find them on the bookshelves.

13. philipgust

philipgustMember

Threads:
    I put them in the bookcase so that I can watch them all the time!

14. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    Hehe, you made me laugh. I also keep my books as I like to reread and I sometimes give them away but I become too attached to some books that I dread parting with them.
    Giving them to charity is a very charitable thing to do. I would seriously consider this.