What Do You Do With Old Clothes?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by hellavu • Jan 17, 2015.

1. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I know it is a very common thing for many of my neighbours to simply throw away old clothes, giving it in donation bins or making rags out of it. It's good when it can serve as "hand-me-downs".

I know there are a lot of "Diy" projects proposing to recycle old clothes; I also know that people who know how to sew can turn old jeans into a mini jean skirt. I, as a kid, would give my T-Shirts a few cuts to transform them into new pieces of clothing. It was never looking anything other than an amateur's mess, but I was still pretty happy with it!

What do you do with your old clothes? Do you have any creative tip to share?

2. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Usually I use old clothes to wipe liquid spills off the ground. As for creativeness with old clothes, most of the time I usually use them for costumes for special occasions, use certain parts from old clothing to repair other newer clothes, and depending on the fabric, use it to create coverings for tools or bags to hold stuff. My best thing to use are old leather clothes, because I can use it to do a lot of things towards my hunting and camping gears.

3. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have any crafty ideas to share, but I did just recently sell a bunch clothes for the first time.

There are two stores near me, Plato's Closet and The Clothing Mentor. Both of them buy gently used clothes that are 3 years old or less. Plato's Closet buys a lot of teenage/young adult brands, like Abercrombie, Aeropostale, etc. Clothes Mentor buys more mature brands, like Jones New York, Liz Clairborne, etc.

They are picky, if you bring in 15 items they might take 2 or 3. But they do pay you cash outright which is kind of cool. Some of the things I sold:
    Dress for $9.00
    earrings $1.50
    sweater $3.50
    jacket $8.50
    sweatshirt $3.00

I think I made around $40 total. Not bad when I usually just donate them.

4. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to mix it up in terms of treating old cloths. Throw some, use some around the house and give some away to a local charity. I hate the idea of chucking things away simply because they're passed their perceived useful life. Donations go a long way

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If it's an old clothing that still fits me and looks decent, I won't hesitate to recycle it. One remedy to avoid discarding clothes that are still usable is to mix and match them. Don't just wear using the same style. You have to experiment. If it's say an old t-shirt, you can put a blazer or a denim bolero over it so that it won't look like you've been wearing it forever. Instead of wearing jeans with it, you can wear jeggings or skirts.

6. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I just donate them to Goodwill. That's the easiest I can think of when it comes to disposal of old clothes. Also, if the clothing is still very good but just does not fit me, I may have to hand it down to younger cousins or friends. But overall, whenever I do my spring cleaning, I would just donate things to Goodwill. I know they always have ongoing charity drives.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The old, outdoor but still decent looking clothes get donated to charity, and the tattered indoor ones get turned to rags inside the house. Sometimes the old pants get shortened to be able to make it into shorts.

8. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I take really good care of my clothes, so I always give them away. When I was a kid and gave them away, the kids at the charity that would get my clothes were always so excited and they always knew that the clothes came from me because they weren't worn out and obvious "trash." When the lady that was the go between told me and my mother that, I knew that I would always be willing to give my clothes away and only the best would do.

9. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I do a few things with my old clothes. I donate some to Goodwill, I sometimes give items away to friends and family members. Some of my nicer items I sell to Plato's closet. I would recommend them to all the posters here if you have some clothes you need to get rid of.

10. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I donate them or just gather them up and put them out by the trash can. The homeless people usually roam the trash in my neighborhood so the clothes are gone in less than 15 minutes. I have a younger brother too and whenever I stop wearing something that is too good to throw away, I usually give it to him. He loves it most of the times and wears them.

11. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I usually take most of my old clothing to thrift stores. I think that someone else could benefit from them like I have. There are a couple that I might keep and cut them in some way (turn a t-shirt into a tank or some jeans into shorts) I might keep them.

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I select ones that're still in good shape and give them to my sisters. I often have good as new clothes that I've barely worn. The rest I usually bag up and give to charity, ones I know they can get sold.

13. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    I donate most of my gently used clothes to several charity shops in the city or if I think I can make a couple of dollars, I will sell them on our local classified site.

14. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    I usually just give my old clothes away. I donate them once a year particularly during the holidays. Now there are a few online websites popping up where you can sell you designer clothes that you no longer want to wear. However, the way it works is that you mail it in and they decide what they want to pay you. You really have no way of getting your clothes back if you don't like the price they are offering unless you want to pay to have it shipped back to you. That seems like an awful much for old clothes. It probably is better to find a thrift shop near by or just donate them.

15. Webene

WebeneMember

Threads:
    Where the old clothes go depends on why I am getting rid of them in the first place. Clothes that no longer fit, but are still in good condition will generally be donated to charities which accept 2nd hand clothing. Sometimes, I may decide to give these clothes to friends or family who could wear it. If the clothes are ripped or not in good condition, I will generally use them to clean around the house. Overall, donating your old clothes which are in good condition has the most benefit for the community.

16. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well there was a time when I would say I would donate them to a neighborhood thrift store. But unfortunately there aren't any left in my area. When it comes to really bad clothes that look like they have seen better days I will throw it away, after all these aren't worth salvaging for someone else. When its an article of clothing that's still in good condition that I no longer wear maybe because it doesn't fit right we have these boxes now in my area that ask for donations for the needy and this is where I take them.

17. Mackmax

MackmaxMember

Threads:
    I sell my old clothes on Poshmark. It is a website where you can sell and buy used, or new items for a discounted price. I'd recommend it to all of you for sure, the seller and buyer protection is amazing, and sellers don't have to pay for the shipping. The only thing is that Poshmark takes 20% of the money that you make, which is a bit much. If you have a lot of Victoria's Secret products, then you are bound to make plenty of money there. So far I've only sold 4 items and I've made over $50!
    If I don't sell my old clothes, I just end up trading them with friends. One girl's trash is another girl's treasure, lol!

18. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I give my old clothes to the Goodwill and I purchase old clothes at the Goodwill to refashion into something I may like. I look at those shows and on pinterest to get ideas as to what can be done with old clothes, not because I have to but because I think we waste too much, reuse what you have, things still have a life just change the way it is used.

19. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I stash them in my cabinet and just eventually use them. I don't give them away right away just because they are old. I don't let them go unless they are completely nonfunctional. But since I'd only let go of them when they can't no longer be used, I think to give them to someone would be a kind of an insult. So I instead throw them or make them rags.

20. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will give my clothes away for charity whenever I don't use them anymore. I have thought about selling some before, but I don't find the price you get back for selling them is worth it, I find that it makes me feel better when I'm donating instead of selling for such low price.