What Do You Do With Old Clothes?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by hellavu • Jan 17, 2015.

1. Mattenheimer

MattenheimerNew Member

Threads:
    I take my old clothes and donate them to non-profit organizations. You can get a tax write-off slip if you ask, which can come in handy at the end of the year and possibly save you some money. There are certain thrift stores like Savers Value Village you have to watch out for, they only donate a small portion of sales to non-profit and are actually for-profit companies. Goodwill and Salvation Army on the other hand are very good choices, my personal favorite is Goodwill.

2. Oyes

OyesNew Member

Threads:
    I either throw them away because they are really old, or, if they are not that old, then I will pass them on to the needy. Sometimes my younger brothers request them, because they don't consider them to be that old. Certainly, old clothes is a relative to the owners of them. What one might consider old, is not old for me, so that is something one should also bear in mind on this matter.

3. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I segregate my old clothes. Those decent looking ones will go to the donation bin and the tattered ones will be recycled and be made as rags or any other thing that can be useful at home. The old shirts will be recycled so that it can be worn at home during the summer season.

4. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Very few of my clothes make it to the donation pile. I tend to wear the goody out of my clothes turning them into rags in the process.
    Once in awhile I will have something that, though nice, just turns out to be just not really me. Those things go to charity.

5. lollie

lollieNew Member

Threads:
    I recently was introduced to a thrift store (located in Washington, DC and other parts of the USA) called Crossroads Trading Company that buys your old clothes. It's a brilliant idea -- however they are very picky about what they choose to buy from you. Also, they only buy IN-season. I've been successful twice, unfortunately during both times, I took a bunch of clothes and they only bought a few pieces :( But on a brighter note, they buy the original retail price of the item! Check them out.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually just give it away if it's still in good shape. If not, then I just throw it away or keep it for future use as rags. I am not too interested with DIY projects when it comes to clothes so I think it's much better for me to just give them to someone else who might still get some use out of them. It's also a much better arrangement for me since I usually organize around Christmas anyway so it's the perfect time for charity.

7. PrettyBrainQueen

PrettyBrainQueenBanned

Threads:
    Maybe with your old jeans you can turn them into cutoffs with rips. Jeans and camo are ideal for that kind of thing. T-shirts you can make a California style shirt with holes in them with a specific shape.

8. cprobus0004

cprobus0004New Member

Threads:
    My girl teenagers love these new half-shirts that hang very loose. They are usually pretty, creative colors and patterns. They seem to grow tired of them sometimes. Upon looking at one before I donated it, I noticed the pattern they were sewed in seemed to be quite similar to that of a skirt. I was able to take the sleeves off of this shirt and sew the two open pieces together to make a skirt. If the open neck is not the right size for the skirt, a band of elastic can be sewn under the neckline for a more adjusted fit. This easily turns it from a loose neck, open shirt to a very comfortable skirt.

9. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    Actually I found something pretty cool the other day!

Here in Portugal, H&M let's me take a bag of old clothes, and I get €5 worth of credit.
    Bought killer pants with that :cool:

I have a bunch of old clothes, and I plan on giving them all to H&M :D

10. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately I am one of those who just tosses old clothes, turns them into rags or occasionally I will donate them. You have totally inspired me to find other uses for old clothes. I definitely want to try to turn old clothes into something new. Thanks for sharing!

11. Betsyake

BetsyakeMember

Threads:
    Done well!

12. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    Well, in my apartment complex, there is a separate box for used clothes that will be donated to other people. I don't usually throw away old clothes because most of the time I would still use really old clothes as my sleeping attire. When I throw away those clothes, however, I always put them in the donation box. This is one of the things that I never really put much thought into.

13. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    If they are still in wearable condition, then I will store them in the attic or wardrobe in the spare room. Sometimes though if they are ripped of unusable I will just dispose of them.

14. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    Usually give them to my little brother. If they are too damaged or too old to be wore, make them cleaning cloths or donate them to a local shelter.

15. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    My family usually have a garage sale as an extra source of income. We sell old clothes that we have. Aside from that we also sell old furnitures and other old stuffs. We also give old clothes and toys to orphanage during special events like Christmas or New Year.:):)

16. Victoria Langley

Victoria LangleyNew Member

Threads:
    I do not do anything myself with my old clothes, I am hopeless at sewing and I have to be honest it is not something I am interested in doing. I do however sell on anything I purchase that I wear once or twice and it does not look right, usually good old Ebay, slightly older items but still with plenty of wear in them go to charity shops or to the donations for abroad then anything with holes that can not be re used gets turned into cleaning rags for the home. It's beyond rare something actually gets thrown away in the rubbish. I do get envious on the craft group I am a member of when people turn clothing into new items but my crafty side is more painting, drawing, scrapbooking or knitting.

17. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I usually give my old clothes away to someone who is very poor and is in need of them. I usually prefer to give it away than keep them in the house. I also use it as rag sometimes.

18. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    My old clothes were given to my younger brother when I was growing up. It was a good way for my parents to save money. Also, my dad, brother and I have the same size on shirts, so we can pass around old clothes to each other.

Most of my old clothes were turned to rags. Shame that the cloth was not able to last longer. I already asked some of my old clothes to be donated. I think it is a better idea to give these articles of clothing to people who really need them.

19. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    I usually donate my old clothes to Purple Heart. Purple Heart will come and pick up items you no longer need, I think this is so convenient. If my clothes are still in really good shape I sell them on Ebay. After having my baby I sold all of my maternity clothes on Ebay. I was able to get back some of the money I paid for them.

20. kwoodard902

kwoodard902New Member

Threads:
    I usually sell what can be sold, like almost brand new jeans the kids have quickly grown out of. Then I use the money to re-buy clothes can wear. I donate my baby items to a pregnancy crisis center in my town. They help single mothers that have a hard time financially. The rest of the clothes I can't sell or donate go to the Salvation Army, as long as they are not stained or have holes. I try to spread it out to the "free" facilities first.