What do you do with your old clothing?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Miaka_M • May 15, 2014.

1. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I still have my old clothes because I don't think I grew that much, my height and weight is just kind of the same since I was in grade school. Yes, I'm not kidding. :D I like throwing a DIY fashion project and give my old clothes a new fashion twist. It's a good way to save money and also flaunt your creative/artistic skills. :)

2. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Usually I always gathered my old clothes for a garage sale. Yes a Garage for a clothing item with a low cost. But when the typhoon came in our country, I have donated it to my churchmate who are affected to that typhoon.

3. PunkinPie

PunkinPieMember

Threads:
    I prefer to donate my clothing to the Dove Center where women who leave their past with almost nothing can put my good quality second hand clothing to good use. I also like to sell to

. They are an online second hand clothing retailer that sends you a bag for free to fill with items you would like to sell to them. You do have to send them quality clothing and higher end brands. They then give you a cut of what they decide to keep. Only fall back is they don't usually accept every item you send. They also don't pay too much for each item, but if I don't have sentimental attachment to the items its not that big of a deal. I make about $20-$30 bucks each clean out bag I send it and I usually turn around and spend that on clothing from their store.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to hang on to all my clothes because I was so up and down with weight.. my diet, having babies etc. Now I weigh less and look better than ever, so I was finally able to get rid of my wardrobe a while ago. If i couldn't upcycle them, I donated them. I do love to make something new from something old though, so I always attempt it first.

5. mstaffney

mstaffneyNew Member

Threads:
    I take my old clothing and resell them in my resale shop for low, low, prices. My family and friends also donate their old and new clothing, shoes and accessories to my store. Recently, I started reusing the clothes as fabric to design something else.

6. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I do the same and donate clothes that are still decent to the Salvation Army and all sort of different organization. In my area, they started to place huge bins around shopping areas, so I just drop one bad in each. Children clothing tends to go to feed the hunger or children charitable organizations. Same with old shoes that are barely used, I drop them off in the shoes bins.

7. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    I always take mine to my local Goodwill. I don't have many "extra" clothes as I tend to be a minimalist with how much I have, but sometimes when I buy some new clothes I will take some older ones to Goodwill so I keep how many clothes I have to a minimum. Over filled clothe draws stress me out...

8. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I usually end up using most of my old clothing as cleaning rags. I use clothes until they're so torn up they don't even look like what they originally were. As I was growing up and I outgrew the clothes I donated them to a shelter.

9. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    My mom usually gives my old clothes to our relatives living in the province because they're not that well-off in life. We used to give them a lot of clothes when I was still growing up because I frequently change sizes back then and there was no one who can use my old clothes because I don't have any siblings. Other than that, my mom also reuses our old clothes as cleaning rags so we end up saving some money from not buying any rags from department stores.

10. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I take my stuff to a consignment store, but only the things that I can't sell in yard sales. If they don't sell in the consugnment shop, I just donate them. I just hate to throw things away.

11. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I have to admit that up until a few years ago I used to just throw them out. Now though, I always give them to local charities and homeless shelters.
    I was always under the impression that you have to turn up with bags full but that's not the case at all, they're happy taking anything so... Every little helps so they say.

12. philipgust

philipgustMember

Threads:
    I donate clothes when I have to many of them and ones that I don't need...

13. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If it's torn, we usually convert old clothes to rags until they're worn out and need to be disposed. If they still look well but no longer fit our current sizes, we donate them to orphanages or victims of calamities (e.g. fires, earthquakes, floods, typhoons, etc.).

14. Femiluv

FemiluvMember

Threads:
    I usually just leave them in my closet, and once every season I go through and decide on what I no longer want. I'm hosting a garage sale soon and live 2 minutes away from 2 thrift stores. If I'm not giving out clothes to friends or to the thrift store, I sadly toss it out. I can't donate something I wouldn't wear myself.

15. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes on to my old clothes and shoes I generally give the good ones to charity, mainly Salvation army. The ones that really don't look worthy of being given to someone I will trash them. I realise that there are many people out there who do not even have clothes to wear or even give their children. I think everyone should give their old clothes to a charity.

16. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    I usually pack them up and send them over to good will.
    I have never tried to sell my old clothes before most of them are in pretty good condition.

17. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I occasionally give away clothing, but most of the time I wear it till it is too far gone to be used by anyone. I only save the cotton clothes for rags. Even a small percentage of polyester will make a cloth useless as a rag because it absorbs nothing. Those items just have to be thrown away because there is nothing you can do with them.

18. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have that many old clothes at one time so it's not too much to store them so I keep them for the annual yard sale at my residence. It gets pretty good publicity so as long as we're prepared, we should be sure to make a good profit. We did pretty good last year but I am hoping to make even more this year.
    If it turns out that nobody wants them I'd probably just give them away but not to Goodwill (because I don't trust them) maybe to the bin. You can give some to a place like Plato's Closet but they're usually rather picky with what they accept.

19. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Depends on where I am and what my options are. Some of the stuff we pass on to family/friends, some of the stuff we donate if there's anywhere to donate, and the rest goes to scraps or is used as a rag for the floor.

20. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on what it is. I've worn so many things to the point where I had to it away, it's unbelievable. But at least I got good use out of it. But I have certain things that I people gave me that never fit and and just held onto. That stuff I'll try to sell at garage sales. Or sometimes I'll just donate it to the charity bin just to get it out of my closet.