What do you do with your receipts?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by BarelyHangingOn • Jun 22, 2012.

1. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I keep all of my receipts for about 3 months. I figure that way it is past the time I could return or exchange it and I am about 2 billing cycles past when the purchase first posted on my credit card or checking account so the chances of there being a problem is hopefully rare. For very large purchases I tend to keep those receipts for a very long time, years or as long as I have the item. I store the receipts in a large folder in case I need them. I think moving forward I will scan them because I don't need to worry about the ink fading, the receipts will take up less space and I don't need to worry about losing them.

2. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    Okay, I never keep my receipts that's for sure but it all depends on what kind of receipts I have. For example, if I bought a groceries and food stuff I tend to keep the receipt just for my personal auditing and throw it away once I'm done with it. It's not like I can return my purchases anyway.

But when it comes to electronics and all other physical stuff that covers a warranty period, I tend to keep my receipts locked in my wallet for months and years until the warranty expires.

3. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    I do most of my shopping online and do not have to worry about my receipts. I know that the Macys sales person will give you the option of email or print receipt when you are about to cash out. It would be a lot easier if most stores worked this way. Amazon lets me keep track of all my purchases, so I really have no problem when I need to return an item. I have lost many receipts and it always turns out to be very costly when I do because I end up with a defective item or something I do not want anymore. Technology has lowered the amount of headaches for us shoppers, and I am glad about that.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually throw them away after a while. If it's something from an electronic, or something that I need to keep for warranty matters, I'll keep them for as long as the warranty is available. However, for receipts from supermarkets, grocery stores, drug stores and places like that, I'll usually throw them away either immediately or a few days after I make the purchase. There's no use in saving that much paper!

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I have a few options. I used to shred them. I also used to just rip or cut them up, and toss them in the bin once I had made sure that nobody would or could find the pieces and put them back together, to get my name and details. But we recently purchased an incinerator, which lives out in our back garden. That is how we destroy our paperwork these days, along with the clothes of our victims lol!!

6. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    To be honest I usually just throw them away. I used to keep them but with the rise of online banking and such I don't think it's necessary the majority of the time. The only exceptions are when I buy something that I may have to take back at some point, such as a clothing item or something from a home improvement store.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are a few receipts that i will keep. I shred the ones that don't matter and keep the ones that do in my draw where I can my money. Say I owe someone some money for a purchase that they made and I plan on paying them back, I will keep the receipts so that I know how much I need the pay the person back. Then I will shred them or throw them away. Especially the bank receipts that I get from ATM's. They get shredded. I don't want anyone going through my trash and getting my details.

8. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    Record-Keeping Receipts

I regularly keep my receipt and store them in an envelope for record keeping. At first I jumbled them together and scan the ones for large purchases. Ideally I keep them if they are from major purchases, but after a year I usually shred them. I don't know how long we should keep the physical receipts once we have scanned them. I think last year several apps were introduced to help with record-keeping.

I considered using a record-keeping app but was unable to maintain. :confused: A part of me really wants to go all digital with the receipts, because I tend to forget these purchases after a few months and the receipt would be evaluated every three months. After those three months even I can't read the receipts anymore, the ink would usually appear washed out. It's a bit more efficient to go green with the receipts. But I have to say it's harder to start the habit of scanning all my receipts.

#48Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014