What Do You Give Someone You Barely Know

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by PubD • Dec 19, 2012.

1. PubD

PubDMember

Threads:
    I've got someone -- a friend of a friend -- coming over for Christmas dinner this year. I want to make sure I have a small gift for her so she's not left out, but I have only met her three or four times, and most of what I know about her is second-hand anecdotes. What's a good, very generic, gift to give someone you barely know, who may or may not have allergies, or religious sensitivities or whatever. I'm completely stumped.

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    How about just ask the mutual friend? Wouldn't they know better than strangers would?

Otherwise, you can usually go with candles or bath products. They might still have allergies or hate that kind of gift, but it's more about the thought....and they can always pass those on to someone else who would use them.

3. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    Something decorative, candles, bath products, a picture frame. Generally in these situations those pose no danger of insulting anyone and even if they don't like them they will appreciate the thought.

4. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    If I don't know someone, I would perhaps give them a set of scented candles and some bath fragrant. That is something that you know she could use withot a doubt. Since you don't know her, ask her friend what fragrant she likes and you will be just find.

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I would be tempted to go with a decor item or a picture frame.
    A couple of years ago, I got a digital changing picture frame ornament from Staples for less than $15. It only held a few photos but it was a nice gift that I gave to a co-worker. She really liked it. I am not sure if Staples still has them this year but something like it might be available from other stores now.

6. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with the picture frame suggestion. Dare I also suggest a gift card to a book store? Even if she is not a book lover, they usually sell magazines, calendars, movies, and other knick knacks there. I hope you find what you want. Gift shopping can be so stressful sometimes.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would ask the friend that you have in common what would be a good small gift. Candles and lotion or bath products are always a good item. Or a special cup with the candle. Have a good holiday.

8. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    Gifts for such occasions are often very personal. Anyway, there are always alternatives for generic gift. The above comments are quite interesting, I agree with them. I'd advise you to find out some simple facts and so you can expand the range of possibilities. Home decoration, specialty drinks (liquor, cognac, champagne), chocolates, agenda or things like that are alternatives used in these situations. I hope that you can find the suitable gift. ;)

9. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would ask the friend that knows her friend or maybe get something like a perfume and lotion set or a nice candle set something nice simple and sweet should be good but i would def ask the friend.

10. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I would definitely go with a generic scented candle, or perhaps a pretty but relatively unexpensive scarf. (Even if she doesn't wear scarves, you won't have broken the bank on it.)

11. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't buy the person anything. I mean, the person is already coming over for Christmas dinner, someone you hardly know, and gets to enjoy all of the amazing food you're preparing. Why should they get a gift also? Why must we feel compelled to buy every common creature a present?

However, if you must buy something, purchase the person a gift from the dollar store, like a scheduler, a bag of pens, a candle (as classicnyer said) or anything else that seems thoughtful.

12. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    How about a book? Who doesn't enjoy a good book? If you have read a really good book then I'd suggest buying her a copy. :)

13. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I would go with a very neutral-scented candle, like vanilla. Another good idea that people mentioned are books - perhaps a best seller book that has rave reviews? Or a picture frame. Another good idea would be a bottle of wine or some nice chocolates. Food and drink is always a good idea!

Personally, I wouldn't buy things like lotions, perfumes, body washes, etc. because you never know what this friend likes or uses. Some people are very allergic, some are very loyal to the brand they already use, they may not like certain odors, etc. If you don't know the person, I wouldn't buy anything like this unless you are very sure that they would love it.

14. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I usually give gift like fruit cake for those persons I don't know much and if he is he, I might just give a bottle of brandy or wine. If the person is a woman, I might just give her a flower or handkerchief.

15. PubD

PubDMember

Threads:
    Thanks for the advice. I am going to head to the dollar store tomorrow and see if I can find a picture frame, or maybe a candle or other trinket that I can wrap up for her. I'm heading there anyway, because I now have one more person coming over for Christmas than I have dinner plates, so I'm going to buy a cheapo one there so no one has to eat off paper. :)

16. crossunitedfate

crossunitedfateMember

Threads:
    You can always go with a gift card or something if you have no clue what to get her. Or maybe a little something from the Body Shop or Bath and Body works or something.

17. ami560

ami560Member

Threads:
    I would try to see if you could find out anything more on your guest before getting something if you want to make an impression or at least seem thoughtful. Decorations or bath products can be quite tasteful, but seeming to generic could seem thoughtless. As others have mentioned, food is also usually a good bet, but at least find out if they actually drink or are on a diet before getting something. Books can also be good, as long as you pick the right genre or author. Honestly, you could find all these from a Facebook page, so if you want, then do a little digging which could really inspire your gift ideas.

18. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    This is being posted after Christmas, sorry! I would say a nice, tasteful card, with a $10.00 gift card inside. I would ask my friend of this person what this person likes and then I would buy the gift card accordingly. That way, the person can take the gift card and buy themselves a little something that they would really like.

19. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I'm late to the party, but I was faced with a similar situation just before Christmas. I was meeting someone new, who was my daughter's new partner, so I had to get something, even though I didn't know a lot about the person. I couldn't ask my daughter, as she hadn't been in the relationship for long enough to get to know her partner's likes and dislikes. I settled on a nice diary. Everyone uses diaries, and the recipient was delighted.

20. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I would perhaps give them a basket with her favorite fruits and cheeses and maybe a bottle of champagne or her favorite liquor. That will be the best gift of them all since you don't know her and she will love that, I'm sure.