What do you live without to save money?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by mariaandrea • May 19, 2012.

1. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have cable on my TV. I shop for clothes at the second hand store, I don't eat out and reduced my glasses of wine to one every week. I would like to get a new car but will keep the one I have.

2. mimi8zm

mimi8zmMember

Threads:
    To save money, my husband and I discontinued our cable tv (and we discovered that we talked more and did more things together, than when we just vegged out in front of the tv). I also stopped buying those branded coffee drinks that cost a lot, when I am in the office. It really did take a lot out of my budget monthly.

3. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    I live without a lot of things. I don't buy myself clothes, don't go to movies, don't go out, etc. I stay home and work, all the time. Take my kids to the park, will sometimes take them to the store to go get them a $5 movie, but that's about all.

4. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    If I want something bad enough, I usually find good deals on most household items/clothing. I have gone without cable before, but I do have basic now. Also, we live in Florida and would like a Walt Disney World annual pass, but have not purchased one yet.

5. iRichard

iRichardMember

Threads:
    I can live without cable and going out to eat everyday at restaurants. I'm not into expensive things anyways so that's a great way to save money.

6. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    I live without Knicks tickets most seasons. It's a good thing the Knicks suck these days. Otherwise I'd be broke lol. I was going to pencil in a few games this season until I found out Jeremy Lin wouldn't be playing with the Knicks any longer. And had signed with Houston. That's when I decided it'd be another seaosn of watching Knicks games on MSG network for me.

7. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    I pretty much live without anything I might want, lol.

8. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    What a great thread! I love reading everyone's posts, too.

For me I do without manicures and pedicures at salons. I cut everyone's hair in my family, including my own. That goes for coloring my hair at home, too. We make coffee at home instead of paying an arm and a leg at Starbucks each morning. We mostly cook from home. We rarely go see a movie, and the times we do go see one, we pick a matinee show and bring in our own goodies in my purse (shhh!). No lawn service for us; we mow and do our own tree trimming and weeding. We keep out clothes until they fall apart practically. I exercise at home instead of at the gym. We never buy new cars.

9. clauemi

clauemiActive Member

Threads:
    I've cut down on junk food tremendously, it's just too expensive and nothing good comes from it. I also don't go out to each as much, it's just a treat for us now when we do have extra money. I try to make things last more around the house, less waste of food in general and saving everyday home supplies.

10. edvisual

edvisualBanned

Threads:
    I always try to keep items that I usually use every time and try to not buy things that I don't really use or don't necessary need at the moment of time.
    Most of times I don't buy junk or things I don't like or like very little, this keeps you far from spending too much money on garbage stuff

11. sarahlou773

sarahlou773Member

Threads:
    I live without wine to save money and to try to save my waistline!

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We don't have cable tv, and although my dad would like to have one, he figured that he would wait until he has money to spare before he subscribes to a cable provider. We really don't watch much tv nowadays, and it's only him that watches tv most of the time, so having cable tv isn't really worth it in our home.

13. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    I guess I am one of several here who have said 'enough' to basic cable.
    I kept Internet because it was the more important of the two for me. I also cut out beer, for both money AND health reasons.
    No I did not spend a lot on it but I can do without and it does save me a bit. I cut out cigarettes over ten years ago for money and health reasons. Good move. I spent way too much on cigarettes for way too long.
    I also now never rent DVDs. Saves a bit of money. I get movies from the local library or actually buy them. I can actually do without renting but if I know I really want a DVD I will buy it for the right price.
    Usually Walmart, incidentally.
    I also cut down buying books, partly for space reasons but money too.
    Ryder13

14. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:

Wine makes you fat? I thought that was beer?

15. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I have learned to live without my home land line phone. I felt like a real chump paying a house phone and a cell phone. Only bill collectors and wrong numbers called me on that line anyway. It saves me about $45 a month, so I can have a better cable package, which helps me save on entertainment.

16. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I cut out things like junk food and going out to places but that's about as much as i cut out of my stuff.

17. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I also save money by keeping my old cell phone and not buying a smartphone. I have really reduced the amount of food I purchase out. I also plan all my meals in advance based around items on special or sale. I basically have just stopped all the mindless and impulsive shopping habits. I'm pretty much only buying things that are a necessity currently.

18. mlacombe

mlacombeNew Member

Threads:
    I don't eat out. I rarely buy new clothing for myself. I try to find free alternatives before spending any money. I only allow myself a certain number of "treats" at the grocery store. I share a cell phone with boyfriend. I did go without cable for years. I just now had it turned back on. Thinking about shutting if off again though.

19. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I rarely go to cinemas anymore, partly because I've lost taste for the modern type of movies and second, I prefer to just watch on a big screen at home. I think given the price of movies is so high right now, I'm actually saving a lot from not having to pay for expensive tickets and snacks.

20. Madeeha007

Madeeha007Banned

Threads:
    Control your self and simply don't use it and keep your self occupied with expense unlimited exercises so you don't have a chance to use your cash...

Best of Luck!!!!!!!!!!