What do you live without to save money?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by mariaandrea • May 19, 2012.

1. futurestic

futuresticNew Member

Threads:
    I am a bit of techno gig. I buy some of the affordable stuffs which makes life simple. Like an android phone. You can get one form 200$ to 2000$. I choose 300$. But I don't waste my valuable money by buying fancy laptops, watches, hair products etc. I don't think its a waste of money.

2. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Most fancy watches don't last long anyways. They break very easily, especially the straps on them. The last fancy watch I had cost me $300. Lasted approximately 1 month. What a waste.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Add my name to the list of frugal people who have gotten rid of cable. Just about any TV show or movie you could possibly want is available somewhere on the internet. Someone on another forum pointed out that Youtube has free full length movies in a certain section of their paid movies. I don't buy those cute bottles and cans of iced tea with lemon because it's cheaper to make a couple of pitchers of iced tea. Walmart has a box of 100 tea bags for $1, when you compare that to one 12 oz can of iced tea for $1, there's no contest on which one is cheaper.

Sometimes I make my own laundry soap or just use one of those giant Mexican Zote laundry soap bars that costs $1. Ever since I discovered that my city has a Dollar Tree, I buy a lot of cleaning products and office supplies there. I trim my own long hair. I do a lot of free activities with my daughter like picnics at the park.
    I have a few herb plants that I planted last year which are still alive, so I don't buy basil or ginger, or mint.
    I use coupons to buy a lot of things and I usually buy Christmas stuff for next year at 75% off after Christmas but
    I skipped that this year and put the money straight in the bank because I'm trying to move to a better apartment so it's not a good time to buy anything I don't need.

4. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    I used to like going to spa/salons regularly, or to watch movies in the cinema, or regularly shop for clothes. Now, I have to get rid of that to save money. Hubby and I have to stop dining out to and just cook & eat at home. We have to stop all the extra things we used to do to save money.

5. bargain

bargainNew Member

Threads:
    Saving is more important and I can live without cable.I think there should be some updates but with minimum expenses.

6. mommymumbles

mommymumblesNew Member

Threads:
    We are basically a one income family. I stay home w/ the kids and the hubby is self-employed so money can be very tight and unpredictable. I rarely do shopping for things like new clothes for myself, however I would rather be home with my kids than buying new stuff. We eat at home most of the time, do free stuff like go to parks, beaches, etc. and just save as much as we can.

7. clauemi

clauemiActive Member

Threads:
    To save money on groceries I buy store brands when I can, use coupons and I've stopped buying junk food. I put off buying things for myself and also try to make the products I use last longer. We've also eat out less often, it's only a treat now. There's no cable or home phone in our house.

8. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I replied to this thread a year ago, so maybe it's time for an update :p One thing that saves me money is not eating out often. I don't like restaurants anyway, so I prefer to eat at home, and I don't mind cooking my own food or eating something someone else cooked. I also try to use my cellphone as little as possible. I have a prepaid plan, so I try to only text or call when I really need too.

9. zoeysmama2011

zoeysmama2011Active Member

Threads:
    In order to save money, I do my own hair, cut my own hair, do my own manicures and pedicures, pack my lunch everyday, cook breakfast and dinner with what I have before I go out and buy more groceries. I go without eating out as much as I would like. I watch movies on Netflix rather than going out to the movies. I shop at thrift stores for all of my clothes and make some of my own cleaning products. Basically, if it's a service or for sale at a retail store, I try to make it on my own or find a cheaper way to entertain myself.

10. APluckeyduck

APluckeyduckMember

Threads:
    I seriously reduced my beauty routine. I used to go every 2 weeks for a manicure, pedicure and hair salon. Now the hair is done at home. I do my own nails, but I still get pedicures. Pedicures are now only once a month and I completely eliminated winter pedicures.

I also shop for canned goods and toiletries at Big Lots and $5-Deals. However, I prefer to make my own lotions and hand creams. I love to mix different scents and it costs about $1.25 to make a batch, that lasts two months.

11. brittanyt28

brittanyt28Member

Threads:
    Those are really great ideas you have. I recycle my cans. I coupon. I also do not get manicures, pedicures, or my hair done at the salon. I rarely buy new clothes for myself, although I love clothes, my sons need nice things before I do. I also have a dollar bucket, and I try to throw spare dollars in it every now and again so I can get it if I need it. I need it eventually usually. Money just seems so hard to save these days.

12. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    We live without a lot of things that other people claim they can't live without- smartphones, latest gadgets, etc. We don't go out to the movies as much, budget our groceries and extra expenses more carefully....and the saddest for me; almost no starbucks. lol.

13. ReishiSpore

ReishiSporeMember

Threads:
    I often try and stay away from my supplements if I wish to save money. I am always buying and trying out new supplements and health items as they really interest me. If I wish to save some money for something in particular, I would tend to not buy any supplements as I can still class those as luxury items, and not totally neccessary.

14. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I do without pricey salon services and and getting my haircut by a professional. I do my own manicures and pedicures and cut my own hair. I save so much money by doing so and no one can tell that I cut my own hair. My mom would always pay for my haircuts when I was 12 through college and I would just watch my stylist. Then when I got older, I got brave enough to do it on my own.

15. sking61

sking61Member

Threads:
    I live without eating out like I use to. I buy my produce from the farmer's market. I don't go to the movies when they first come out I go to the movies on discount nights.

16. Soliloquy

SoliloquyMember

Threads:
    I skip the cable TV, coffees and sodas, cellular phones, most beauty and hair stuff...

17. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    I usually save my money from my wants like junk food, or other things. I used to buy a bag of chips for a dollar each day, but about 2 months ago, I've narrowed it down and probably saved a decent amount. I most likely used to spend 100$ or more on junk food, but now, it's as little as 5$ a month. I think I improved quite a bit.

18. Klemens

KlemensNew Member

Threads:
    Living without money is very difficult, so try to save some money. Sometime we need extra money rather than routine, at that time money saving help us. I want to buy smart phone but I have not extra money.

#58May 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  19. MaraJadeC

MaraJadeCMember

Threads:
    I can live without a Smart phone or cable TV, but never without internet connection!

20. smilekill

smilekillNew Member

Threads:
    as i am a youngster and new to the job am not yet planned to save money but after seeing this post i think i should save money for my future use