What do you live without to save money?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by mariaandrea • May 19, 2012.

1. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Agreed. Besides if you have a computer with internet ,it basically does most of the same things as a smartphone or cable TV. You can find pretty much any show on the internet and the same websites you would visit on your smartphone can be accessed from your computer. I think my internet connection is the one thing I couldn't do without because I work online and watch TV online.

2. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Pretty much every addictive thing that everyone seems to like. Gum, coffee, cigarettes... you know, that kind of stuff. Sometimes i do like some coffee, but i ain't that addicted to it.

3. BrianWolfe

BrianWolfeMember

Threads:
    I have stopped taking potato chips, chocolates and ice creams. I make my own granola bars with brown sugar, raisins, wholemeal grains, almonds and other dried fruits. I take these instead when I need my sugar fix. I guess living frugally has made me healthier as a result! I've stopped taking coffee as well and am now taking organic herbal teas instead (one of my few luxuries left!)

4. rebeccalj278

rebeccalj278New Member

Threads:
    I save money by not having a home phone. I just use my cell phone because that is where I receive more of my calls. In addition, my husband and I eat more at home, and I don't go to the salon as much as I use too..

5. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I save money by not eating out or just buying junk food or snacks on the go or even coffee.
    I prefer to take my own snacks so I make them at home the day before and I just take a bottle of water with me everyday so I can stay hydrated. I noticed that I can save at least twenty dollars every week.

6. Mercy77

Mercy77Member

Threads:
    As my personal economy keeps falling, I've had to cut back on numerous things. No more cable, no more home phone, no more going out to eat, no more cola's and munchies.... Seems my life has become a life of no more this and no more that. How depressing!

7. Buck

BuckNew Member

Threads:
    I save on what's costs most people a lot - alcohol, cigarettes and eating out

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I totally get it. After years of bitching about my apartment, it's time to finally move and that means coming up with a security deposit, so even more sacrifices will have to be made.

I'm just telling myself "A new apartment will feel better than this cola would taste, so don't buy it."
    Hang in there. I hope your situation turns in your favor.

9. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I have scaled down to live without quite a lot of things in recent years; not just to save money, but because I don't deem those things necessary. I am at a point in my life where I have more than enough "stuff," so I only spend money on essentials and a few occasional splurges. I am curious about something - how does not having a garbage bin save you money?

10. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I still have the same phone I'm using 3 years ago. I did not change it. Unlike some of my friends who change their cellphone with the latest model. I find it impractical. I also don buy trash bag, I just use the plastic bag from my groceries. If I'll go somewhere and it's not that far in my place I just walk or take public transportation. I also don't buy the most expensive beauty products. I don't buy things that I don't really need. I don't eat much outside. I just cook my own food, it's cheaper.

11. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I very rarely treat myself to things like makeovers and I never get my nails done. Sure, it would be nice to have them looking nice, but the problem is that I'm saving up to buy a property at the moment, and that absolutely has to take priority over anything else, as it's kind of urgent. To be honest, when I'm trying to save as quickly as I am now, I don't really go out all that much on days out or anything. The way I see it, buying my own place would save me a lot each month on rent, and I can have enough fun when I've bought it. So hopefully it will only be a year more at the most that I have to go without, and then I can enjoy the spare money that I have.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The things I live without are because I think they're unnecessary or useless. My idea of "needs" is much different than most people. If I actually need something, I don't hold back.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I once had to pick up trash bags for a friend that I was helping with some yard work. I noticed that boxes of trash bags cost from $5 to $16. I thought "I'm glad that I don't buy these regularly." I have one of those trash cans that are designed to use grocery store bags as trash bags, and the trash can has hooks to hold the grocery store bag.
    So I haven't paid for trash bags in years. Even if I run out of plastic grocery bags, the recycling bins are full of them.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Good luck with buying your own place. Hang in there. I'm saving just to rent a better place so I understand that it gets boring to scrimp and save all the time, but it'll be worth it when you get the keys to your new place.

15. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I go without some things like not going out every weekend. And not buying name brands that's about it.

16. yellowbird

yellowbirdMember

Threads:
    I generally go without snack foods. It's probably healthier anyway to not have them in the cuboard, but I miss having something crunchy around every now and then!

17. Anna_Bella07

Anna_Bella07Member

Threads:
    Nope :) I will always prefer to buy something when I really love it. :)

18. darelle4

darelle4Member

Threads:
    So true, having a computer and internet connection replaces your television because I don't watch television any more and if I do watch it then it is at someone else's house and they are currently watching TV. I don't really have time to watch TV anyway so I would not pay for cable. I can get tv shows and all that on the internet.

19. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have cable tv and I stopped buying food out of the machines at work. I do have to buy groceries, but I buy easy.cheap meals that I can make and take to work. I also drink water rather than sodas and I reuse my bottle so I don't have to buy any bottled water. I clip out coupons and use those at stores and I am always looking for sales and deals on a lot of my favorite things.

20. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I am a fan of clubbing but am trying to quit the habit. It is better to quit such behaviors for me to at least save my money. It is like am addicted to clubbing as every weekend I must go out and have fun. it is quite sad as I spend a lot of money on drinks and making my friends happy.