What Do You Look At When Buying An Appliance?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Denis Hard • Jun 17, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are people who are so keen on saving money that they'll never buy something unless they are sure they are getting a good deal. That's great but what if the cheap appliance you are buying isn't energy efficient? Sure while buying it might save you a little money initially in the end using the appliance will have you spend more money on electricity.

For you, what's the most important thing to consider when you are buying an appliance? Size? Cost? Something else?

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Bearing in mind that a large proportion of household utility costs come from using household appliances - the most important aspect for me - although looks and size do matter to some degree - is always the energy rating and the higher better

In fact as this to me is one of those areas where buying cheaper can be false economy - I generally almost always only buy the highest rated appliances possible - as although initially somewhat more expensive - particularly as energy efficient appliances tend go up in price depending on the rating - it certainly pays off - as not only have I found them to be more efficient in every sense of the word - but more importantly - that they are way, way more cost effective in the long term - particularly as the savings made from the large reduction in energy, water and detergent usage are huge to say the least and very definitely far outweigh those of buying a cheaper appliance with a low energy rating.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've long gone past buying cheap appliances, because they lose you lots of money in the long run! I'd much rather save up until I can afford to get the right product. Upper most in my mind is always the brand, and I tend to go for Samsung. A lot of things in my house are Samsung; my TV, my fridge, my microwave, my DVD player etc -And as we all know, Samsung doesn't come cheap. But I love the aesthetics and the fact that not only is it a reputable brand, the stuff's also durable. Those are the things that are important to me.

4. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I give props to the new appliances with the perks and all but I'm old school and like brands that have been around for a while like Whirlpool, GE, and Frigidaire. What I look for is energy savings as well but keep my eye open for these brands on sale. I have found that because of the newer name brand that the traditional brands sometimes offer some of the perks just not some of the technology at a lesser cost. It's all about personal preference and how deep you want to go into your pocket.

5. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I just purchased new appliances about a year ago. The first thing I wanted was appliances that had a good track record. I read reviews about different fridges and stove etc. and then settled on Samsung as my brand. I went to the appliance store and talked to a sales man. Some of the appliances I bought were on sale and then they were able to give me a better deal since I bought 3 appliances from them. I also look for a good warranty and the energy star rating on the appliances. I had specific features I wanted to it helped me narrow down my choices as well. In the end I'm very satisfied with the appliance I got except the dishwasher. It's a Bosch and I know it's a good name but it just doesn't clean the dishes as well as my old Kenmore.

6. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I look at brand, and usually have done some research, and know which brands and models are energy savers, highly rated by customers (and professional reviewers.) I'll look up a brand or model I'm not familiar with, but I would probably prefer to buy a high end used product that's been gently used, rather than a brand new lower end one that may not be as well made, and may cost more to run. I also look at size, since I'm very restricted in this house, and would also probably want to match the color to my other appliances, unless I planned to replace those in the near future.

7. johndee

johndeeMember

Threads:
    First and foremost, whenever I decide to buy an appliance, I have the end in mind. That is, what do I want it to do for me or how is it going to help me. So I have to look for an appliance that has the specifications for that purpose. If I can get a multipurpose appliance, the better.

The other thing is what I can afford, bearing in mind that appliances come in different brands. Some brands are quite expensive and not everyone can afford, while others are fairly priced. But of course I won't go for a cheap one that doesn't save on energy and can easily break down.

I also have to consider the urgency. Do I need it now or can it wait? Say, if I was to choose between buying a kettle and an iron box, I'd rather buy an iron box because there are other means of boiling water. What about ironing?

8. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    When buying an appliance there are a number of factors to be considered:
    If The size to suits my requirements
    Whether it is energy efficient or not
    The type of guarantees it affords
    If its from a reputable brand
    The service offerings
    If the appliance seems to be durable or not
    I have to make the necessary check and inspections to satisfy myself that I would be getting good valuue for my money.

9. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I want the appliances to be of excellent quality. And I like certain features. Like a glass top for my stove, and an old style non-HE operating washer. I look at the energy efficiency too. I don't scrimp on the appliances. I get what I want and fork over the money. In fact, nice appliances is a good reason to save money in other areas, so that I can afford to get what I want!