What do you look for in a computer?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Imoverthere • Jun 25, 2012.

1. Imoverthere

ImoverthereMember

Threads:
    As the title asks, what do you look for when buying a computer? Do you look for something cheap and affordable, do you look for something with certain specs?

I try to find one that has some decent power to it, and if I can try to get it at a good price, that's a bonus. I tend to enjoy playing video games and with how much graphics have advanced over the years, it certainly helps to have a better graphics card, something I may be able to buy separately, but depending on the computer, I might just want to save the extra money.

2. Epicfied

EpicfiedMember

Threads:
    I'm a gamer so when I'm buying/building a computer I definitely want a good video card and a decent amount of RAM.
    Cheaper is always a bonus but I don't want to spend too much.
    I wanted a $1900 gaming computer but I'll be building one that has better specs for about $1100.

3. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I look for the price and how much power it has. I run some heavy duty programs so I don't want a computer that'll crap out in the middle of me working on something important.

4. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    The very first thing I look for is reliability. I want a computer which I can use to do my work, not a computer which will give me a lot of extra work to make it work. Then the next thing I consider is the speed. There's not much point in getting a very reliable computer that is very slow because I won't be able to get my work done. Finally I look at the price. The fastest and most reliable computer in the world would be just a dream to me if I cannot afford to buy it.

5. Magic Pixel

Magic PixelMember

Threads:
    I've built all my home PCs from scratch. The last one, which is about 3 years old, is still keeping pace with current technologies. It was a bit of an investment at the time, but fully worth the trouble. I went for a mid-high range processor, motherboard and graphics card, a good amount of mid-range RAM and a large mid-low range hard drive. Guess which one is about to fail now? I've already backed up data and I am shopping around for a new HDD that would keep my configuration at decent levels for at least a couple more years.

6. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    There are three important things when I look a laptop: price, hard drive storage and battery power. My laptop has two of the three, but not having a long battery life isn't that big of a deal for me. Other than that, the other functions of a computer don't worry me that much.

7. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    It must be reliable, it must be fast, and it must be capable. I will bend on the price so long as those qualities are met.

8. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    I run lots of applications on my computer so the first thing I look for is processing power and RAM. I am not much of a gamer so I could go for a computer with less graphics memory as long as the CPU and RAM is good. For laptops I also check the battery life and would never buy one if it has less than 8 hours of standby battery.

9. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    I need something heavy duty with a lot of hard disk space, mainly because I'm a gamer, as well as someone who loves to keep her files a disorganized mess (and by that, I mean I store a lot of things in my PC).

10. TheMightyMathias

TheMightyMathiasNew Member

Threads:
    I look for good power, but also a cheaper price. I like gaming so I would look for a decent graphics card and a decent processor. About 4GB of RAM is about the minimum you need to run a decent computer. I really want to build my own desktop, but first I need to learn how to put the different parts together.

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The first things I look for in a laptop are reliability and durability. I don't abuse my computers, but I do want to know that they will last for awhile. It doesn't matter how cheap it is, if it dies on me.

12. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    RAM and HDD storage space are the first things I look at. Then graphics card.

13. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I am not too picky with my computers. I like affordable, but I also like certain brands. It has to have good RAM, a nice size hard drive and I prefer a nice graphics card. I am not as bad with the graphics card tho as the memory since I don't play a lot of games, I do like to store pictures to edit and upload onto my blogs. I like Acer since they offer a lot for an affordable price.

14. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Great question...especially as I am on the lookout for one right now. I usually look at the size (as I travel quite a bit) and lugging around a heavy notebook computer sucks. So I am looking for something lightweight and with a good battery strength, the worst is sitting working in an airport or something and your batter gives...that happened to me about 4 years ago and it sucked. Also, just a competent one...that can deliver and run a number of programs. One that is made by a good company with good ethics. I know, I am hard to please...but with patience, it happens.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I prefer laptops because I like to work in different places. So what I look for is a good reliable laptop that is very slim and portable and still relatively powerful. I'm not a gamer so I really don't need anything too powerful, just enough to handle a couple of designing and coding applications without lagging at all or too much at least.

16. trebla

treblaNew Member

Threads:
    I work online so it is important that my computer should be ultra fast and reliable. There are times when I have to travel to several places, so I also need a portable laptop. I'm not really choosy when it comes to brand, but I know that the leading gadgets are more reliable.

17. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    The first thing I look at are the specs. The brand and type of processor are important for me, and so are the RAM and hard drive space. Whether it is a PC or a laptop, these are the basics that I consider first, before other features like sound and video cards, etc.

18. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My work is online so I need speed. Space to store my files is also important. I just purchased a new laptop with a 10 keypad included, I do a lot of numbers for work. It is taking a little to get use, the price was good which is very important since I go thru them fast.

19. Zaturo

ZaturoMember

Threads:
    The three most important parts are the PSU, CPU and Motherboard. The rest depend on what you use your computer for. The rest is all part of a complete breakfast.

20. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    These days I look for at least 500Gb hard drive, 3 gb ram, 8 hour battery life, and everything else can be standard. I realize that many laptops tend to overheat when being used so i have to do my research as to the reliability and performance of any laptop I am checking out. I also do not go for anything less than a 15" screen size.