What do you love or hate about Windows 8?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by lindbergh • Sep 3, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just got a new HP notebook from my uncle. Its operating system is Windows 8. I have seen a couple of differences between 7 and 8. The most notable is the startup menu. Users are introduced to a tablet-style menu upon startup. When you eventually manage to find where the desktop is, you would notice the lack of a "Start" button. Anyways, do you love Windows 8? Why? Why not?

2. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    It's busy, impractical, and unnecessary. It isn't fast enough to warrant applause on top of which it is generally a hassle to navigate. It just isn't a step up, but then again that's to be expected. Windows has a habit of following a good iteration with a sucky one - 8 is the sucky one.

3. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    I love the metro UI of this OS. It's so addictive, but at the same time, lack of start screen is really starting to bug me. I miss it.

I am going to switch back to PC now.

4. jericjames10

jericjames10Member

Threads:
    Advantages:

Faster boot
    More Secure
    More diagnostics tools and repair solutions.
    Pretty much the same speed using 8 as 7.

Disadvantages:

Drivers are not as mature, so in many cases you need to use drivers written for Windows 7. This is fine in some cases and not in others.
    Start screen
    Lack of start menu
    Can't use F8 key to get into Safe mode, but its possible to enable that.
    Lots of random problems pop up, mostly related to the start screen.

5. Sobriety

SobrietyNew Member

Threads:
    What I really like about Windows 8 is that aesthetically, the Metro screen does LOOK nice. It also boots significantly faster (at least for me anyway). Unfortunately, while Windows 8 may be aesthetically pleasing, it sacrifices practicality and utility. The lack of an actual Start window is very disappointing and incovenient. Searching for certain programs means you have to dig through the Metro screen, or run a search for it rather having a nice Start button at the bottom of the screen with all of your shortcuts to your applications.

6. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I'm still using windows 7, and it's fine for me. For people who use windows 8 what are the major differences between the two have you mainly found? The lack of a start button sounds really annoying,and I wonder why they would not have a start button? That sounds like a step backwards not forward to tell you the truth.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm still using Windows Vista, and I think that based from the comments that I've read here, I agree that the lack of a start button can be really annoying. I'm aware that it's optimized for tablet users, and since I prefer using a laptop or desktop rather than a tablet, I'm not so keen in trying Windows 8.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm staying behind on this one. I've read too many cons to jump on the bandwagon. My computer isn't dying any time soon anyway, so I'll be looking at other upgrades by the time that happens.

9. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think that there is one single advantage on having Windows 8. Seriously, if you have something else other than a touch device, then you go with Windows 7 or no deal for me. The damn "initial" screen sucks so much, that thing wasn't created for normal computers, the lack of a start bar is really the worst idea ever (even worse is that they put the damn start icon, but it throws you into the damn initial screen again.

10. danealegana

danealeganaActive Member

Threads:
    After thinking for over a week if I would like to try Windows 8, finally I did it.
    It surprised me of a different style or UI. Its like my PC turned into a tablet.
    The only problem I encountered is I dont know how to set it to a different language.
    Yes, when you are new to a certain environment it takes time to browse and get used to it but Windows 8 seems to be the OS that I wont get used to instantly.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Have any of you done a clean install of Windows 8 on a touch screen computer? I'm wondering if it enables touch screen by default - in other words does it have it's own generic touch screen drivers. My computer is currently touch screen, but it also uses a wireless bluetooth mouse and keyboard. I'm worried if I were to do a clean install of Windows 8 on my system, if I would get stuck because I couldn't input anything to get the mouse and keyboard working. If the touch screen was working immediately I could at least use the on screen pointer and keyboard.

12. SoftDev

SoftDevNew Member

Threads:
    I've windows 8 on my gaming pc, and all the games are working good on it, The big disappointment is the Start button.

#12Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  13. strawberrydollar

strawberrydollarNew Member

Threads:
    I loved windows 8. I loved having to separate windows that popped up right next to each other to multitask. Doing two things at once without having to open multiple tabs jumping back and forth. I also liked the mail option. All my email was in one spot. I could check different account with just one click, no logging in.

14. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest i don't understand the intense hate towards Windows 8. Well, I personally don't like the charms thing on the side but apart from that everything is alright for me. I especially love the metro style, i think the interface is gorgeous. Other features are great too and i think the OS is fast.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've gotten to try it on a friend's loop and I like the design since I've always been partial to boxy type designs and the fact that it's minimal and colorful just adds a lot to the appeal for me. However, that is just a minor detail for me since the functionality is what's more important and I have to say that using it has been a little more confusing for me than the previous versions although I'm sure that if I used it for long enough I'll probably get used to it. I find the toughest things to figure out are the minor functionalities like networking and tinkering with the elements like drivers and such, but again I'm sure that I'd probably only have to learn that once and I'd be set again.

16. JusApee

JusApeeNew Member

Threads:
    I never liked Windows 8 because of the lack of the start button. Yes, I'm so superficial that the mere missing of a little button in the corner of my screen can make me hate an entire OS. However, I've used Windows 8.1 a lot of time and I can say the metro-style isn't made for Desktop PCs. It's touchscreen-oriented, so the upgrades they did to Windows 10 are definitely for the best, meaning that you can either keep the metro, or the old-style Win7 start menu. I liked Windows 8's concept, because that gave birth to Windows 8.1 which I totally enjoyed using.