What do you not buy at thrift stores?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by andrew320 • May 30, 2012.

1. MyOCDisMild

MyOCDisMildMember

Threads:
    I love thrift stores and I'll lose face here and admit that I will buy shoes from a second hand store, but I will not buy panties or socks bras, even
    though I know that all things considered, I could wash or bleach the beejesus out of them, it's just the thought that accompanies it. But I love
    good shoes, and the kind of shoes I like are usually very expensive, so if I can find a pair of discounted or second hand manolo's, Jimmy Choo's
    or Christian Louboutin's, I'll break out in a cold sweat and find a quiet place in the store to dance around in glee. A pair of 1500 dollar shoes
    for 2-300? I'll dance a jig like it's nobody's business!!

2. suzeysplace

suzeysplaceNew Member

Threads:
    I will buy some things at thrift stores but my list of things I don't buy from thrift stores are:

Shoes-Unless they are obviously new
    Socks
    Underwear
    Mattresses

Those are the main things. I will buy some clothing if it's in good condition and household items.

3. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    It's basically the "ew" factor to never buy undergarments and swimwear used. Ever. No matter how much bleach or how hot the water is when you wash it, you just can't get rid of that strange feeling that it's still dirty. You know, because someone else's private areas have been using them for who knows how long. Same with socks. I'm pretty ok with shoes though.

4. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    The nastiest thing I wouldn't buy from the Thrift store is a toothbrush. I've seen one all brown and rotten, there's no way I'm putting that in my mouth. They sell anything there that's been used. There's almost no filter on what they will accept. It just nasty in my opinion, I can't use someone elses toothbrush. That's where I draw the line.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would not buy socks, towels or underwear at a thrift store. I have bought a couple of pairs of women's high heeled shoes but I could tell by looking that they were almost new and had been worn maybe once or twice.

6. AutumnFaith2012

AutumnFaith2012Member

Threads:
    I buy a lot of household items from thrift stores...it's like going garage sale shopping for extra knick knacks around the house! By household items I'm talking about pictures, rugs, kitchenware, and even furniture. I also like to shop for hard to find toys, movies and music. You can find a lot of great stuff in thrift stores and of course the prices are almost always fair! I have found a purse or handbag a couple of times at thrift stores too. The secret to shopping successfully at thrift stores is to shop around, shop different stores, and don't be afraid to spend a lot of time searching in the store...you never know what you're going to find!

7. iampeebs

iampeebsMember

Threads:
    Obviously the underwear part unless it was still in the package and a wicked deal. I used to outfit my entire family at ours and boy we were stylish. I would find $200 jeans for $2 and so many sweet deals on designer items. We moved and no longer have a thrift store. I am sad.

8. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    Definitely have to agree on the undergarments. The thought of it makes me a bit queasy. Other than that I'm not too picky. I'm not too big on clothes but that doesn't have anything to do with it being second-hand or anything like that. I just generally dislike clothes shopping. I usually look around for furniture and possibly electronics when I go into thrift stores. You can get some really great deals once in a while.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I often shop at the thrift store and buy just about everything but underwear for myself. For my grandsons if it looks good I buy it, they're growing so fast we would go broke trying to keep them in clothes. We use the thrift store to fill in the holes in their wardrobe.

I have found brand new items at the goodwill and have saved a lot of money shopping at these type of stores. But for me it is form of entertainment, I call treasure hunting.

10. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    I would never ever buy undergarments or shoes from a thrift store. The idea of putting on some else's underwear or shoes repulses me. I would most likely stay away from any garments whatsoever and go for a household appliance or item instead.

11. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    The only thing I would buy is may a picture or something like that. I would not buy clothes or bedding covers things of that nature. I just don't like wearing handy down clothing.

12. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Underwear. I'm pretty sure that's only thing I actually refuse to buy there. I suppose mattresses would be on the list, too, but it's illegal to resell those here. Everything else just depends on the quality and price usually. If it's all torn up, I wouldn't buy it, for example.

13. TNSabrina

TNSabrinaMember

Threads:
    I try to shop at thrift stores, but I rarely find anything that I like. Plus, they have raised the prices at the thrift store in my area, and it just isn’t worth the searching and digging through the rakes. I’ve seen them trying to sell furniture for almost new prices. I have better luck at yard sales.

14. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    You can find some very good things at a thrift shop. Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis reportedly, used to donate to them as well as purchase things from the shops. I don't think that I would ever buy shoes from a thrift shop. I love to look through the different things looking for interesting items..

15. rey1237

rey1237New Member

Threads:
    In our country Philippines , it is a habit to shop at a local ukay-ukay or the way you call it thrift shop. It's a store selling second hand items from other countries. Well, if you're an expert buyer you can find great items.,such as prada and other branded items with a very low price. I think it's not a very bad idea to go shopping at thrift shops. It only depends on how you choose the items you buy. :D

16. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I never buy shoes or underwear at thrift stores. Usually, when I am in thrift store I'm not buying clothing, but occasionally I have found nice dresses at thrift stores at really great prices. I think thrift stores are a great place to shop for kids' clothing because kids outgrow stuff quickly, and it's a good way to save, especially when you can find items that were hardly worn.

17. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I would never buy underwear, shoes, and socks from my local thrift store. I only purchase vintage clothing, handbags, and decorative items from thrift stores.

18. Mikered25

Mikered25Member

Threads:
    One of the few things I would not buy at any thrift store would be electronics. You just never know if the person selling electronic device is really of good quality or not. They may say its factory price and never been used before, but that will depend on you the individual and how well you do your research. In my opinion, you have to be really careful when dealing with thrift stores because I like I said, you never know what you're really paying for. One must be carefull or you may end up getting ripped off.

19. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    Undergarments of any kind. Sorry but I want to know my tush is the first and only one touching that fabric.

Pillows. Same thing.

Sheets. I mean I just want my own.

I'm also not the kind to buy shoes in thrift stores. I've also never found a pair I liked enough to consider buying. So this is flexible!

20. poizinivee

poiziniveeNew Member

Threads:
    I shop in thrift stores sometimes, and I the only things I buy are books, furniture, and games. I would not purchase clothes, however, if you do....make sure you wash them thoroughly.