What do you not buy at thrift stores?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by andrew320 • May 30, 2012.

1. shopnow1

shopnow1New Member

Threads:
    Just like most people here, I would never buy undergarments, socks, shoes, towels and bedding due to the obvious sanitary reasons. I don't think that I've ever even seen undergarments being sold at my local thrift store. You just simply don't know what kind of bacteria lives in the fabric, and there are some types of bacteria that can survive hot water washes. Your health just isn't worth saving a few dollars.

I also never buy books or movies, since I use my local library to the fullest advantage. I always read books and watch movies just one time anyways, so why not simply rent them from the library for free and then return them a few days later, instead of spending money and cluttering up my house in the process.

One of the things I enjoy most about shopping at the thrift store is shopping for jewelry. You can really find some great deals and unique pieces.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I forgot about sheets. Nope, I definitely wouldn't buy sheets at a thrift store because there is a very, very high likelyhood that someone did something sexual, either alone or with someone, on those sheets and I want no part of that. Goodwill should have a black light that they use to check sheets for questionable fluids before they sell them.

3. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    I love buying vintage dresses and unique tops on thrift stores. Occasionally, I also buy a pair of pants or a bag. I would never buy shoes from thrift stores. I just don't like the idea of having to wear someone else's shoes, yes I'm weird like that. haha Also I would never buy any used undergarments! That's just gross!

4. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    I would never buy underwear, bras, stockings or socks. The thought of wearing these items worn by someone I don't know is very uncomfortable. I would also not buy anything electronic unless I were able to test it in the store or unless the price was almost a giveaway. I do like buying cups and bowls, though. They always get broken at my house. I have found the prices at thrift stores rising and have to be picky choosing what I buy.

5. catevanne

catevanneMember

Threads:
    I shop at thrift stores and would never buy underwear, electronics, pillows or toys from them....I mostly buy clothes and nic nacs. I think most other items are just too germy or worn out to risk buying. My fav thing to buy is nic nacs and kids clothes-many of the kids clothes are almost new.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do shop at thrift stores, but I only buy clothes there. I don't buy shoes, bags, or any other personal items that they sell there. But if they happen to sell books or dvd's, if they happen to be in good condition, then I'll buy it.

7. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I've shopped at thrift stores before. It's a great place to find vintage and unique clothing. I've also found some really cute vintage hats and purses at this one store I used to go to. Cool stuff!!! Anyway, the stuff I won't buy from a thrift store are underwear, shoes, towels, and bedding stuff.

8. dewilsimmy

dewilsimmyNew Member

Threads:
    Here I get best details about purchase products from thrift stores. Due to this type of stores we get great collection and all products in affordable rates.

9. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Are thrift stores the same as pound shops in the UK? The only thing I would not buy from a pound shop is electrical stuff, I have found them to be incredibly poor quality so will pay more at another store for them.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy underwear at thrift stores and I'm picky about the condition of the shoes for obvious reasons.
    My favorite category at thrift stores is home goods. I love to buy small kitchen appliances in working condition and nice artwork or frames.

No, thrift stores are not the same as pound shops. In the UK, I believe you call thrift stores charity shops.
    I think one of your thrift stores is called Oxfam's.
    The US equivalent to a pound shop is a dollar store.

#50Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2016
  11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really buy anything on thrift stores... nowadays it's so easy to find cheap clothing on sale and for low prices that I don't find it necessary to get them used. But definitely, I would never ever buy used underwear!! No matter how clean it was, I would not be able to wear something someone else wore on their privates - no, thank you!