What Do You Think about Interfaith-Marriage?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by mythman • Aug 8, 2014.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I hear "Interfaith Marriage" (you know, marrying someone who's not of the same religion you are) and think of the Scripture that says "Be not unequally yoked"---Christianity is the only religion that both-acknoledges the burden of sin AND -gives its followers a way to lift it, and--if you marry someone who still carries that burden--you become responsible for that burden too (but can only indirectly help move it).

doesn’t even quote that- or ANY-Scripture! Maybe they're taking a more-practical slant on it (mentioning the hope that the Christian spouse can 'turn' the non-Christian, so you don't "depend" on that hope too much), but `twould be good of them to include Scripture (of all the types they can think of) in their reasoning.

I think it shows how religion doesn't really matter in life. It's just so you have a sort of peace-with your daily life when you're resting at the end of the day. Interfaith Marriage might even give you a kind of SUPER-peace---like you're on good terms with the Creator no matter WHO/WHAT it is!

2. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    Interfaith Marriage is something I struggled with. My husband and I are of different religions. My husband is a Hebrew Israelite and I am a Christian. My husband is a very good man. He loves me and I love him. I dated Christians that did not treat me as well as he does. I had to ask myself did I want to end a good relationship because we did not share the same religious belief. With our children we decided to share both of our beliefs with them and let them decide the religion they would like to be a part of. I know for many people different religious beliefs would have been a deal breaker. We decided that being together was what we wanted, and decided to respect each other's differences.

3. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I think this is completely personal decision and in my opinion who cares! I am marrying someone who is not my religion and I have found other people try to make a big deal out of it even though religion is not something that was ever on my radar whenever I dated. Perhaps if someone is very religious this could pose a problem but at the same time people can celebrate and practice their religion however they please and I don't see how your spouse has anything to do with it.

4. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I suppose you can see it as "occupying yourself with the here-&-now rather than the 'where you plan to go and/or how you plan to get there." For the equally-yoked (same-religion couples), they plan to be together both 'here-&-now" and into the future, & death won't part them. The unequally yoked aren't concerned about later until "later," & either the separation of death will be a great loss for them or they understand that 'we're only here for a moment, so you should cherish the abundance each moment provides.'

I guess there's a kind of 'security' that comes with knowing you and your spouse share the same ultimate goal.