What do you think of online jobs?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by ExpertAdvice • Nov 6, 2014.

1. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Online jobs are really a great mode for earning money. I am also a freelance writer and I think I would stick to this one. I love working at the comfort of my own home. I don't have to go back and forth from home to the office. This lessens stress I have to go through if I were working in a company. Aside from that, I don't have to deal with a demanding boss and not-so-approachable co-workers. Anyway, it's really difficult to find an online job that is not a scam. I suggest you look for reviews of online jobs sites that are reliable.

2. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    It is nice doing online work, but if you want to make a reasonable amount of money doing so, you would have to sign up with many of these companies. There are also a lot of scams out there so we have to be careful which ones we sign up with. I have been successful with a few of them, but there are others where I have passed their test but am yet to see any work coming in. There is one particular survey site which I signed up with and was accepted, but so far, after months now, I have not received a single survey to complete.

However, I think working online is a good way to earn some extra money for those who have no steady job outside of the home. These jobs are also very flexible so you can do them when you have the available time and it is totally up to you to put in as much work as you desire. The more work you put in, the better your earnings will be.

3. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    Being a freelance full-timer isn't an easy job whatsoever. And, probably, has never been. However, it's awesome. I like the whole idea and I want so bad to make my breakthrough in the world of freelance. I know, I still will have a boss but that's more awesome than doing a mediocre daily job.

4. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    I believe that reputable online work is only a small portion of what is offered. I think there are many scams and ways companies have of using your work without paying for it. My experience in online writing is that I get paid very little compared to the time I put into the task. If possible, bypass online work altogether.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since the last time I commented on this post, I've acquired more online work experience. Sadly my opinion of online writing sites, at least the ones I've had the misfortune of dealing with, has not changed for the better. It's only got worse. I've been through way too many to last me a lifetime and then some. I've only ever been paid by one, and even that's on the blink. At least it's not a scam and as far as I know, it doesn't owe anybody a cent.

6. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Online job is really hard especially if you're just starting out. There are far too many scams so watch out for that. You have to have dedication and skills to really succeed. I really admire those bloggers who don't spend as much time and effort because they are constantly earning from the ads on their blogs.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can say that I am in an apprentice level when it comes to writing. I have joined forums primarily to enhance my writing skills that I need for my office job. However, as a bonus to that enhanced skills, I know that I can earn money by writing particularly in websites that pay for articles not to mention the opportunity of blogging. I would retire in 7 years and probably I would be well-versed with online work by that time. But for now, I would suffice myself in earning coins as long as I achieve a good writing skills level.

8. Lushlala

Threads:
    The trouble with legitimate writing sites that pay very well is that they set their standards so high that it's not easy to get into them. I hate those ones where they have a test, because the tests are usually very hard, so hard that many people aren't able to get in. Those ones don't really interest me because I worry that once you make it through, you then have to contend with impossibly rigid rules. For me, that takes away the fun of writing. I don't want a writing gig that becomes a chore.

9. greystone

greystoneNew Member

Threads:
    you could find a lot of job listings in Upwork (formerly oDesk), i've got friends who work online as writers and the rate is good.

10. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    I feel like they are a waste of time, because they are so saturated, you know in you mind that your capable of fulfilling the task that's needed but you don't get hired. There are too many things that could make problems arise when dealing with people online who don't want to pay money for your services.

It's just so saturated in the 21st century, and I only think it's going to get worse because with so many people wanting the job, the job posters will drop what their willing to pay, which might be a fair wage, and they'll let us fight over the lowest wages.

11. Lushlala

Threads:
    I agree with you, @hades_leae@hades_leae....it seems to me that these freelance sites like Freelancer and UpWork are seriously saturated and very hard to penetrate. I don't even know how a newbie sets about getting their foot in! And you're right, it's likely to get worse because I feel ever since the recession, the whole world is experiencing severe job shortages. I think this will force many people to seek alternative work options such as online work, which will make it even more competitive and harder for the rest of us!

12. Saundra Jackson

Saundra JacksonMember

Threads:
    Have you tried

?

13. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1New Member

Threads:
    It's not always easy. Lately, companies been going out of business. It's getting like real life. You have to adapt or you will drown in the ocean.

14. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    I think that the average person would trade in their out-of-home job to work in-home any way. Who really wants to get up all the time and go work at some company when you can work from home.

Plus on these freelance websites, they promote specific individuals who will get most of the best work anyways by default, I don't think it's fair because there are plenty of people who could do just as good or even better, but when you go to their sites, you will see the profiles of people the company wants you to see. I don't like that because it doesn't really promote equality.

15. Lushlala

Threads:
    Oh no, that's not on at all! I mean, what criteria do they use to select those people they display? Is it people who they deem easy on the eye or what?! I really don't like the sound of that at all. But I'm glad you raised that because I wasn't even aware of that practice. So basically, we have to contend with stuff like nepotism and corruption offline, and now this online? -and here was me being naive, thinking online everything was purely based on merit. Wow.

16. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    Online it's more like be there in the beginning and you pretty much don't have to worry about anything. They will promote the people they want to be important enough based on that persons criteria. No company wants to stand behind a work base with poorly qualified workers so they need to show potential clients long list of their best workers which is unfair, but that's their system.

I went on Upwork, and have seen many profiles of people being promoted with college degrees, many already completed jobs, with tons of good feedback, and many other things that look nice to people who need work done. You can go look at peoples profiles, and filter them by many things like best ratings, and much more which puts them at the top by default, and creating super hard competition for anyone looking to climb the success ladder later down the line.

This is one of the headings you can find on the site right now, "Browse our highest-rated designers & creatives", they pretty much are guaranteed success on the site. If you look at their profiles, they have the best education, many completed jobs, the people who are looking for workers just throw work at them, they get so many offers that these workers can just name a price because they are going to get the work done, but that doesn't mean newbies aren't worth the time or money.

Companies are liars if they will say that they don't show favoritism. I would remove the promotion type system and really create a fair play platform.

17. brightmind

brightmindNew Member

Threads:
    The flexibility in time is what I like most.

18. Lushlala

Threads:

Ok, I see! Although I agree that this type of promotion places the more qualified, more experienced and more star rated members at an advantage over the lesser experienced, lesser qualified members, I can kind of see why they do it. Because the site is a business, they are obviously going to brag about the amount of talent they have on their books, and will move to show them off to attract more clients. No doubt prospective customers will look at that and flock to those people, while newbies like me and you don't even get a look in. But at least it's on merit! What I hate over and above everything else is favouritism based on looks, friendship etc -especially if the people who are being fast tracked don't have the right skills.

19. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    Postloop has been very profitable for me. Another site similar to Postloop, which I use to make money is The Forum Wheel. I have also tried various writing sites, currently I am with Tinycent and Blogbourne. If you have writing skills, online writing job is very lucrative, you can earn good money on freelancer sites like Fiverr and Upwork. Only problem with online jobs is availability of work.

20. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    When looking to sign up for online work, it is best to be wary of the ones who offer a get-rich-quick scheme. I find most of these to be scams. I have found some legit work online, but the pay is not that great so I usually have to work quite hard to make anything significant from them. So, yes, you can find legit work online but be prepared to work hard and also sign up with more than one company. Doing online work to supplement one's income is not a bad idea, but online work on its own is not a great source of income. However, it is great working from the comfort of your own home where you can choose your own hours of work, so the flexibility of it is what I like most. Not having to commute to and from work is also a good way to save money.