What do you think of "rawhide" treats for your dog?

Discussion in Pets started by justusforus • Nov 13, 2013.

1. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard differing things about the benefits or problems with giving dogs rawhide chews and toys. A friend of mine went to dried pig's ears for a chew treat. What is your opinion about the practice of either rawhide or other chew items?

2. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    My dog gets a 'bone' every night. I try to vary what I give him, Rawhide once a week, and then pigs ears, real bones, bully sticks, healthy edibles etc. Rawhide is safe but can be hard on their stomach's.

3. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    It seems kind of gross personally to give my dog a pig's ear to knaw on.... nasty... I get worried about all of these treats especially if made in China with all of the recent deaths of dogs.

4. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know about pig ears but I think it's important to give them rawhides especially if they are a puppy. They need something that can occupy them and the bones are perfect for that. I don't believe in chicken bones though. In fact it pisses me off when I see chicken bones on the ground in the neighborhood.

5. wwalford

wwalfordNew Member

Threads:
    My dog gets a mix. He will sometimes get rawhide, other times get pigs ears. But what he likes the most is cow hooves (not the filled one, they make him sick). But i think a variety is good. I also have a special ball that you put treats in and as he plays with the ball the treats fall out. He likes that too. Biggest thing is have a time limit all the toys. Eventually they smell and can also be bad for the dog.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well we used to give him one, but now not anymore, we now just give him Nylabone products and pork bones. Here's a link that informs us of the dangers of rawhide treats:

7. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    My puppy can't have any rawhide as it makes him sick and vomiting! He likes it, but then all dogs like to chew on things or eat things. It is also not very sanitary for my personal liking for both the dog and my rug. They do get nasty and smelling after a couple of days.

8. Shannon Parris

Shannon ParrisNew Member

Threads:
    The rawhide chews always give my doggies an upset tummy. I have stopped using them and went to real bones.