What Do You Think Of The Office Supplies At The Dollar Store?

Discussion in Office Supplies started by thisnthat • Dec 15, 2016.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's like anything else. It can be hit or miss. Some of the office supplies that I have purchased at dollar stores have been just fine. Other times, not so much. I bought a mini stapler there, and that didn't turn out so well. The Staples I got, were however, just fine. Paper clips too. I even picked up a surprisingly good pair of scissors at Dollar Tree. I need to see if they have more of those.

I like to pick up Post Its and stuff like that at dollar stores too. They are much cheaper and work great.

2. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think low-priced office supply is much different than the expensive brand. They can be a hit or miss but it goes the same with the expensive brand. I have scissors that I purchased from the 99 cents only store and it has lasted me for quite some time. I use it to cut cloth, plastic, and paper. I also bought expensive brand scissors that cost me close to 8.00 dollars. They went dull a lot faster than the ''cheap'' brand. ALWAYS buy cheaper basic office supply.

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy cheap too like at Walmart. We don't have dollar stores any longer for some reason they close up and never return. Walmart seems to have staying power though and the food too is so cheap. I buy office supplies when the stores got back to school sales for the children returning to school. I find really good supplies that last me all year long. I like cheap when it comes to purchases, cheap and good quality is great!

4. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I like trying out items from the dollar store that way I won't feel so bad if it's a miss since I didn't spend too much. I have learned that just because something costs more it doesn't always mean it's better. I have purchased most of my office supplies at the dollar store and all are working just fine just like the ones I would buy at a regular store.

5. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    They have quite a bit. Nonetheless, the one in my local town doesn't have any good scientific calculators. In that case, the supplies might be sufficient for a business or elementary or middle school student, but not a high school or college student.

6. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, some things you're just not going to get for a buck.

I've also noticed that some items aren't necessarily priced well at a dollar each, since you can get them for less in other stores sometimes. That's especially true during a good back to school sale. You can get some really good prices at Walmart on notebooks, glue, and other items, just before school starts back up again. It's a great time to stock up for the kids and even for the home office.

I do still like a lot of the items from the dollar store though. I got good deals on tape too. They have some pens that I like as well. I'm picky about pens, because I don't want the really cheapo ones that end up leaking.

7. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    @thisnthat@thisnthat They have lots of things for more than a dollar - in fact, all sorts of things. However, for some reason, certain ones simply don't sell certain items like high-quality scientific calculators (Casio, Texas Instruments, etc.)

@TheKnight@TheKnight That's funny - cause it seems like the opposite should be true.

#7May 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2017
  8. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on the quality that is acceptable to you. If you need items that are never going to break or run out, you would most likely not be happy with supplies from the dollar store, however if you are more flexible with your needs then dollar store office shopping might be right for you.

9. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I think some items which are highly priced in malls are cheap over there. So one can work around it. I personally find the dollar store good for many items. I think if they have the stationary cheaper then it's more than enough. But for my personal use I mostly need printing side of stationary. So often I may not need dollar store.