What do you use your credit cards for?

Discussion in Credit Cards started by Brook • Sep 30, 2012.

1. Brook

BrookMember

Threads:
    We have been running all our bills through our Visa so that we can get points for hotel stays. Of course we pay them at the end of the month and don't leave a balance. But with these purchases we have enough points to get 8 free nights at a hotel! We are planning to go to Colorado for a vacation this summer! So excited!

2. IvyBubbles

IvyBubblesNew Member

Threads:
    That, i think, is a wise use of credit cards. Some people just overspend and leave balances thus missing the rewards. Keep it up and enjoy your vacation!

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't use my credit card that much. I do purchase something every month and pay it off, but that's just to keep my account active. Sometimes, I need to travel for business and I use my credit card to rent a car. I haven't earned any nice rewards yet.

4. Brook

BrookMember

Threads:
    We just used some of our points from our credit card for a weekend getaway. It was much needed and it felt like it was free! The rooms cost us nothing thanks to the credit card!

5. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    That's a smart plan.

Right now I'm dealing with the aftermath of bad youthful decisions, so I'm using my credit card (the only one I have left) to rebuild my credit. Every month I spend about twenty dollars or so (usually on coffee with business contacts or something like that) and then make sure to pay it off on time.

6. koelha10

koelha10Member

Threads:
    I actually use my credit card, which has a cash back rewards program for almost everything. I always pay my bill in full each month to make sure that my rewards are not canceled out by any interest added to my bill. These types of cards usually have an online "store" where if you connect to the site through their website they will give you an extra 5% or more cash back for doing so. These add up which is why I take full advantage of it.

7. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I use my credit card every month to pay all of my bills and food. I pay it off every month though. So, I pretty much live off of my credit card to get all my perks and points, then just pay it off with my regular money. WOrks out pretty well.

8. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    Usually I just use my credit card to buy online or when I am broke and have no other place to turn to. It's much more convenient to buy online with credit card than to go to a shop, most things are sent to my place or job so I get to save a lot of time. :)

9. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on my flow of income. Sometimes, I only use it for bills and then pay it. Sometimes, I have to use it for everything and get caught up in a cycle.

10. indigo

indigoMember

Threads:
    I only use them to pay my monthly recurring bills like internet, electricity, tv, water and netflix. I only use the cards to build up my credit score. I fear that if I use them in a store that I will have my identity stolen. So, I tend to use cash in stores and the credit cards for monthly utility bills that are paid online only.

11. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't use a credit card, I have never owned one as I don't see the need. I have a bank card to withdraw money from my bank account but it is a debit card, not a credit card.

A credit card entices you to spend money you don't have and I would never willingly do that. I would hate to have debt over my head, even a small amount.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use my one credit care to pay my phone/internet bill and my recurring eBay fees. Apart from that, I leave it alone. It's not free money and I'm trying to build up my credit score.

13. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    I am also the same way. I don't use a credit card. I use a debit card, and I withdraw money from my account, to add money on it. I always bear in mind that the money on the credit card is never my money, and it's the bank's money, which I have to pay back with interest. I already have enough debt, and I don't want to add to it by using a credit card.

14. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    I don't use my credit card to pay bills because that would leave me with extra money in my wallet that I just might spend before I pay my credit card bill. I use my credit card for bigger emergency purchases like when our computer broke down and we needed a new one. I also save it for emergencies like for medicines and the like.

15. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have any credit cards. I don't like owing money so I have always been wary of them even though I think they are convenient to have. It's sometimes hard to do things without a credit card, such as renting a car, and even now for some bills they want you to auto-pay monthly with a card. If I did have one, I'd try to only use it for travel stuff.

16. polybus

polybusNew Member

Threads:
    My wife and I use our credit card for basically all of our spending. I have automatic bills for all my utilities through my credit card, and we put all of our weekly spending through our credit card.

I do this for two reasons. One is to get the travel points that my card offers. We have already been able to use these several times to purchase flights or hotels and it is a great benefit. The other reason is it makes it easier to track all of our spending. We are currently getting by on one income so it is much easier to see where we were on budget and where we went over just by looking at our credit card statements.

Of course I pay it off every month. Otherwise, it would not be worth it.

17. bonniea

bonnieaMember

Threads:
    I'm with the original poster. I charge and pay off so I can earn the points. As long as the card is paid off when the bill comes in it builds credit and serves as an interest free loan. I generally get things like gas cards or gift cards for Christmas gifts. But be aware that if you don't pay it off at the end of the month, then interest accrues from the date of purchase and the amount you pay in interest will most likely not be worth the few bucks you make in points.

18. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    When I used to have a credit card, I mainly use it for emergency. The credit card only offered a limited amount, which was about $500. I remember one time I used my credit card to pay for the car repair, which was not a good idea because I didn't pay the amount in full. I ended up paying for the interest plus a one-time $35 late fee.

19. fancy

fancyMember

Threads:
    Though sometimes I prefer debit cards I always ensure I sign for my purchases as credit since I always believe that this provides me with anti-fraud protection besides delaying the charges hitting my account—depending on the bank. It is always important to consider debit transactions for online shopping and credit transactions for offline shopping as they always provide safety by Visa prior to their processing.

20. Flonkerton

FlonkertonNew Member

Threads:
    I'm living in Korea at the moment and it's very much a cash economy here, so I only use my credit card for occasional online shopping. Back when I was still living in the US I used it for as many things as possible so that I could get points, but it doesn't make sense to use it here because of the exchange rate and fees.