What do you wear to a job interview?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by lrd913 • Oct 12, 2014.

?

Do you put a lot of thought into how you will look for an interview?

1. Yes, I always want to look my best.

94.7%
  2. No, I don't really put thought into it.

5.3%
  3. I wear jeans and a t-shirt for interviews.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I don't have a job.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I really should make my self presentable as it would show that I am a responsible man, as self-aesthetics and meeting your self-concerns are manifestations of being responsible. Since I am applying for a job, this is what I want the interviewers to know about me.As much as possible, they shouldn't be able to see any flaws of me that might weaken my chances of getting the job. Also being presentable means that you are confident and that you have a social concern. When you dress up, it's not just for you. But also for the people who are going to look at you; you don't want them to feel disgusted to be seated beside you or to be in the place where you are, right?

2. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    When going to a job interview I try my best to look professional. By that I mean dressing casual. I normally wears slacks, heels, dress shirt and a little jewelry. First expressions matters a lot during an interview.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never wear anything that I don't feel comfortable in, because if I am constantly aware of my clothes, I can't concentrate on what I have to say. I know that I would appear irritated and distracted. And that's not the kind of impression that I want to make. So, I usually dress elegantly, usually in linen trousers, accompanied by a white shirt with long sleeves. I like ethnic clothing, so my shirts usually have some kind of embroidery or patterns on them. I like to be myself as much as possible, and want my prospective future employer to see that.

4. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I also wear flats or a kitten heel. I am also 5'9 and I don't want to make people feel intimidated if I wear heels. That will put me at 6 feet. I don't want a male hiring manager to feel like I am too much woman! lol I wear nice slacks, a nice top and a short sleeved jacket. I try to keep it professional.

5. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I would never wear jeans to an interview. At my current job if an applicant does not come to the interview in slacks they get turned away at the door. My last job wasn't so harsh, but as soon as the applicant walked out the managers would talk about it and snicker.

6. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    Depends on the job, but if it's for the run-of-the-mill job or you want to play it safe, go with a long sleeved shirt and tie. Suits are optional. Slacks, black socks, leather shoes, cropped hair- show them you mean business, even if its for a barista job or something.

7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Very casual. Of course, I want to look my best during a job interview because we all know that first impression lasts, and the way you dress up somehow gives the interviewer an idea of what your personality is. I always go for casual dresses and pair them up with a blazer, sometimes though, I'd wear a pencil-cut skirt (not too long), and a nice top.

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have work skinny jeans to interviews before. They don't typically look worn like a lot of jeans do though. The definition of formal, as far as fashion goes, changed when the combination of dark skin tight jeans - that sometimes look like leggings or slacks - along with a blazer, with a blouse underneath came in, I think. That's what I'd wear.

9. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I usually go for casual wear, usually a soft pant and a blouse whenever I have interview. I see to it that I look different than my usual daily look. I also don't like to wear skirts or dresses. I don't feel comfortable with them. I just see to it that I am comfortable with my clothes and presentable enough for the interview. I don't normally use lipstick, but during interview I put a lipstick. It's a good way of concealing your nervousness.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My rule of thumb is whether or not the company's dress code is casual/smart casual; I'm not yet an employee, so I have to impress. So I always ensure that I'm sharply dressed. It's usually a dark pair of pants, a lovely light coloured fitted shirt ( Ilike my blues and whites) and a dark fitted blazer. I also like to jazz it up with a bright coloured scarf, because I read somewhere that it's a good idea to have colour somewhere in your outfit as prospective employers respond to it LOL It's probably just rubbish. But whether or not it's true I don't care, I like it because I think it looks good hehe

I wear medium height heels and keep my makeup and jewellery very subtle and understated and I'm good to go. Oh, I have to be comfy in my outfit too, that's a MUST.

11. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on what type of job interview. If you're going in for an interview for a retail position or something that is more entry level, they are probably not going to expect you to dress like a business executive. When I go on interviews, I dress for the position. If it's a more blue collar job, I'll dress down, if it's a more sales or white collar job I'll dress in a suit and tie.

12. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Usually my nice clothing, because my casual clothing is.. well, way too casual for a job interview. So I usually wear a shirt (the button-up kind, not a t-shirt), nice pants, a pair of nice boots I literally only have for occassions like job interviews, weddings and such, and.. well, that's it, really.

13. walker498

walker498New Member

Threads:
    For each man and woman it is different. However, I would say that the general rule is to wear something basic. Something like black pants, white shirt and tie if you are a man. If you are a woman, then a long skirt with a blouse and/or jacket should do. I would stick with the color black, but this is probably more optional for a woman. Just make sure you are looking like you want the job!

14. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I would assume that it depends on the place that you're applying to. I was called in for an interview to the GAP once and I was torn with what I should wear. Business or casual? I immediately went with casual - jeans and a cute top. During the interview the 2 others around me came in a suit and the interviewer said that although they looked nice, they should tone it down to casual. Unfortunately I didn't get the job, but I got another interview for a pretty high end store. I went in with hot pink shoes and a lace body fitting dress. Miraculously, I got the job :O

15. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I'd always suggest wearing a suit or a dress set to an interview. It shows the interviewer you are professional and serious about the job. I've interviewed several people and I have to say it gives off a good look when the person comes dressed professionally as opposed to pants and a shirt. It doesn't have to be an expensive or high quality suit, as long as you look professional and put together you will be fine. Also, I would suggest not wearing loud make up.

16. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I work in the financial services industry which has always required you dress in a very conservative way. I wear a dress and heels with a jacket or pants suit all in dull colors, like black, dark blue or gray.

17. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Like most people, I always ensure I look presentable. Cliched as it may be, we're all our own brands, and whether we like it or not, people will always judge you on how you look. I dress smart/formal but ensure that everything is understated as opposed to over the top, from my jewellery, makeup, hairstyle straight down to my choice of perfume. For me, a splash of colour is also a must.

18. slerie78

slerie78New Member

Threads:
    I usually wear a formal attire whenever I go to any job interview, because you will be selling yourself, and first impressions of yourself may last. Experts advise the triple B and G colors - Black, Dark Blue, Brown and Gray - which looks smart and professional, but it all depends on how you carry and present yourself though. But I've been so crazy one time, that I did a job interview online, with just my upper coat on and underwear since only half of my body shows. So yeah, it was one crazy experience with some job interview. ;)

19. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It's always better to be over dressed than under dressed imo. Granted it depends on the job to some extent, but even when I was applying for line cook or cashier jobs when I was younger, I would still at least do dress pants and a dress shirt. But for office/corporate jobs, a suit and tie is a must - even if all the other employees there are dressed more casually. At my last three jobs, my future boss was either wearing jeans and a dress shirt, or khaki's and a dress shirt, but I still showed up in a suit and tie. Even if you're not going to be wearing a suit and tie to work every day, for the interview it's kind of expected to look your best.

20. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Classic and social is the best way to get dressed to any interview, if it's more formal or more informal. I always dress with formal pants, a dress shirt and medium length heels. Basic formal is better than inventing different stuff. You need to be remembered for your answers, curriculum, presence and skills and not for your outfit.