What Ever Happen To Ok Soda?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Rosyrain • Sep 23, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    If you were around in the 80s you probably know about OK soda. It was really good from what I remember and came in a silver can. I have not seen it in years, what happened to it?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I believe it was around in the early 1990's - I remember hearing about it back then, I think on MTV or some other news segment, but I cannot recall if it was being test marketed in Ohio or not. Incidentally there is a rather interesting write up about it on Buzzfeed which goes into the history of it, and how Coke developed it and tried to market it go Gen X'ers at the time.

I do really like the packaging for it, it sort of reminds me of the work of Barbara Kruger (though she wasn't involved with the design of it, two other comic artists were). Although I don't think it would make me want to buy the soda though. Incidentally it was conceived by the same guy who dreamt up the "New Coke" campaign, which as we all know totally flopped.

I think the attempt at anti-corporate messaging never really took off since it was relatively common knowledge it was still made by Coke. I'm a "Gen X"-er myself, and honestly, around that time when I was 17, I was more interested in sneaking into bars, and getting drunk. Soda's and cola's were boring to me. Not to mention, Arizona Iced Tea and many other soda alternatives were hitting the market at that time and gaining a lot of popularity.