What Flea Products Work Best?

Discussion in Pets started by bluebetta • Jul 7, 2016.

1. bluebetta

bluebettaMember

Threads:
    When kitty starts scratching during the hot summer months it usually only means one thing. However the pet aisle of most stores is a confusing assortment of collars, creams, shampoos, dips, powders, and sometimes even pills. What products do you use for fleas? Which ones seem to work best? Should I research the toxicity of the chemicals involved or are there other safety considerations? Thank you in advance for your advice.

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always try to use natural remedies before resorting to chemicals of any kind. People have had their pets, and even horses, die from using chemicals that the animal was having a reaction to.
    My first treatment option for fleas would be diatomaceous earth. This is just a plain white powdery-looking substance and it comes from skeletons of sea diatoms.
    It will kill fleas, and most other bug and parasites, and is not dangerous to either animals or humans, and in fact, it adds minerals when taken internally to rid the pet of parasites like worms.

3. bluebetta

bluebettaMember

Threads:
    I have never heard of diatomaceous earth. That is brilliant! I wonder why I have not seen it in the pet aisle. Thank you for telling me about it. I think I will have to buy it online, because I haven't found it locally yet.

4. MissLibby

MissLibbyMember

Threads:
    I've used diatomaceous earth before on my dogs and cats for fleas and I've also added it to their food for parasites. I bought ten pounds of it on eBay a couple of years ago and it wasn't that expensive. Just make sure that you get the "food grade" type and not the kind that's for swimming pools.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My dog, well he isn't really my dog, he is a friend's dog but he has been hanging out here for awhile..has one of those long lasting flea collars. I am not sure about the name of it, but it lasts for 8 months, and for 59.00 it is cheaper than buying over the counter flea products in my opinion. It seems to work really well!

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My vet recommends one called Revolution. This one is good not only for fleas, but for ticks and some other parasites. I am using this on my dog and my cat, and she says it's the one that is more comprehensive with all parasites.

7. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I will have to get some diatomaceous earth. I really like home remedies, myo, diy things. And this stuff sounds great. Would you just put it in a shaker bottle? This would be a great way to get rid of some chemicals and some expense!!

8. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    My dogs had an injection while they were living in Egypt to protect against fleas. That was three years ago and they have not needed anything since. I've not seen any fleas at all on them since having this injection. The jab itself is the treatment for mange in sheep and a certain level of dosage to the weight of the dog gives protection against fleas. I also sprinkle lavender oil on their bed covers which then rubs on their fur as they sleep and lavender repels fleas.

9. HappyKoi

HappyKoiNew Member

Threads:
    I love your name, bluebetta. I had a blue betta fish for awhile. :)
    I will say that using salt does not work. I tried it when my cat had fleas and my house got infested. I am horribly allergic to fleas, and it didn't make a dent in the problem. My vet gave me a topical medicine that is absorbed into the animal's skin and essentially makes their blood flea poison and prevents them from laying eggs. It was fairly cheap and worked well. They told me to use that once a month and vacuum frequently to get rid of the adult fleas and the hatched eggs. They also told me that flea collars don't work, and they were certainly right on that point. It takes a long time to get rid of a flea infestation, but the main thing is vacuum as often as you can.

10. James-M

James-MMember

Threads:
    In some areas, fleas have become immune to the insecticides in either Frontline or Advantage/Advantix. I use Revolution and it seems to be working well. The three products mentioned have a special fluid that helps disperse and absorb into the pet's skin and coat. Over the counter, less expensive treatments tend to sit in a glob and not do the same total job and for my money, aren't worth it.