what flower to plant

Discussion in Home & Garden started by katharinemae • Jun 30, 2012.

1. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    It's been awhile since i have really paid attention to our garden, I just noticed this morning that weeds are winning the battle and my plants are about to give up :( I promised myself to tend the garden this week, i've been spending too much time in front of the computer lately. Do you have any suggestions on what flower to plant? Been searching the net but still can't decide. I want a plant that is easy to maintain and something sturdy enough to withstand weeds.

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I would suggest some type of perennial flower plant because they are much easier and hardier than annuals. From there, you will need to consider the soil, sun and water that you have to work with. Most perennials needs at least a few hours of sunlight but there are some that are shade lovers. If you want the flowering plant to take over an entire area, look for ground covers. They will pretty much not allow weeds to grow in the area that they are in.

3. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    Where I live I found that lavender and roses grow very well and they don't need a lot of care either. But as dissn_it mentioned, it depends on what type of soil you have and also the climate you live in. Is it tropical or are your summers dry and hot? Do you have very cold rainy winters? I think the best place to get advise is at your local garden center.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I suggest day lilies and mums. You can neglect them and they will still reward you with flowers. The mums are more of a fall plant but still a nice plant, that does not require alot of your attention. Roses need care, watering and pruning. I also like sweet williams, just need sun and water.

5. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    Along with the above suggetions, it also depends on where you live. My garden seldom gets weeds and needs tending to because I put down mulch around my flowers. The very few weeds I do get are weak and come out with a gentle tug. But, I swear, in my front yard alone, I find maybe 4-5 weeds in my garden each week because of the mulch, which also helps fertilize the soil. In the front garden I've planted Iceberg roses, miniature pink roses, Lily of the Nile, Hydrangea (these do not like direct sun) and one bougainvilla. These are all easy care flowers.