What food do you buy for your dog?

Discussion in Pets started by JJohnston • Sep 11, 2012.

1. JJohnston

JJohnstonNew Member

Threads:
    There really are so many varieties of food out there for our dogs that sometimes it is tough to choose. I've been told to find a food and stick with it, that it's better for my dog to be consistent. That being said, I'm not sure which food is best for not only my budget but my pet. I would love to feed all natural and organic but that just isn't feasible with the prices of dog food now a days. But, by the same token, I don't want to feed the equivalent of McDonaldst to her either.

Any suggestions?

2. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    You want to look at the ingredients. If they use a lot of corn and other fillers then stay away because the dog can develop allergy. You want the main ingredient to be proteins with grains making up the next big part of it. I give my dog Biljac. It is definitely the best food I found for her and we can switch her if we need to since it is so easy on her stomach.

3. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    You can look at the ingredients, or for a more detailed analysis, Goggle for dog food reviews. You'll find most brands of dog food are rated.

I feed Kirkland to mine. It's sold at Costco and it's pretty high quality - I think it gets 5/6 stars if I'm remembering correctly. It doesn't have any corn, gluten, etc and has a high percentage of meat. I think the only grain it has is brown rice. It's $25 for a 40 some lb bag and I use about 1.5 bags of it per month for my 4 small dogs and 1 big dog.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I make my own. It's cheaper than more expensive commercial food. I have way more confidence in the food itself, too. I know exactly what kinds of ingredients I'm putting in there and I can control the fillers/chemicals/preservatives/etc.

5. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I typically buy the cheapest dog food I can find, but I am currently looking into Blue Buffalo because the ingredients are of much better quality.

6. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, Blue Buffalo is a really good one. Feeding high quality, aside from being healthier, also means that you'll go through much less food. :) The cheap foods have so much filler in them that you go through more of it. All that filler also makes dogs poo more.

That's great! I've been wanting to go raw for years but my dogs aren't entirely my own, they're like family dogs, and I haven't been able to convince my parents yet.

7. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I used to get a Purina One kind of dog food. My vet had told me my dog needed to gain some weight. I didn't want to give him the moist type of dog food that comes in a can so I tried Purina's Moist and Meaty. He did seem to like it better, but he never did gain weight. My vet then just said it must be his metabolism and he's an active dog.

8. Devonte

DevonteNew Member

Threads:
    Well dude, its an important question not doubt. Personally I like the raw or frozen raw food for my pup.
    But I've tried branded food also.
    Its 'olygen'. Did anyone else try? Hope you will have better experience.

#8Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  9. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    I used to go to the butcher and get him to grind up meats and veggies and feed my dog that and he loved it. He is on a raw food diet of course. Then after a couple of years I began finding the raw food at this pet store in my area. They use duck, and buffalo even and veggies mixed in and they add nothing to it, meaning no preservatives. It is very healthy for the dog. You just keep the stuff in the freezer and take some out each night before bed so by morning you have two thawed out portions to feed the dog for morning and evening feedings.

10. Brook

BrookMember

Threads:
    We use Nutro, smaller bites. We've found that our dog loves the taste and he digests it well which means better poops :). It took a while to find a food that didn't give him lose stools so we've been pretty pleased with Nutro. It's not too expensive but it's not cheap either!

11. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:

FYI...this is from a few months back but they had a mass recall of Kirkland

12. Brook

BrookMember

Threads:
    I may think about the raw food. My dog loves human food more than anything and is always begging for bites of whatever we're eating. I just want to give him something healthy and not something that will be detrimental to his health.

13. YorkshireLass

YorkshireLassMember

Threads:
    I've started making my own dog food. I thought it would be really labour intensive, but I have been suprised how easy it is. I did a lot of research about maintaining the right levels of nutrients etc, and she has regular vet check ups too, but my dog (who has never really been into food) abolutely loves it and actually gets excited about meal times for the first time. I spent so long taking the vets advice about what to feed her, but they make a fortune from pet food manufacturers so it isn't exactly unbiased information!