What Food Item Are You Always Running Out Of?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by sunnyside • Jun 5, 2016.

1. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    Do you find yourself buying a certain food item every week at the grocery store? In my case it would be bread followed by milk. Bread is one food item that we use in our house on a daily basis, and more than once a day too. Thus, it is one food item that we tend to be constantly buying. A close second to bread would be milk. Milk is also used on a daily basis so it is another item that runs out quickly.

We have been trying to cut back on our bread usage by using less of it each day so as to curb spending so much money on this item each week. We have been trying to go easy on the milk too by using just a little less than we normally would.

What food item do you use every day, and have you thought of ways to cut down on the usage so as to save having to buy it so often?

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our home runs out of milk and we like soymilk unsweetened. We like to get it on sale, but we wait for the half block away walking distance supermarket called Marukai Wholesale Mart for sale on it always...riding the bus makes it difficult to get heavy items from far away that has to be carted home on the bus. Next is frozen potatoes that we love at our home. We love to get potassium from our frozen potatoes and try to eat it with every meal. Love Safeway's 2/5 Ore Ida's frozen potatoes on $5 Fridays! All you need is your Safeway card, click on the digital coupons at your free safeway.com account and you're all set to get your digital coupons that automatically go to your card! Our home always runs out of frozen potatoes or milk. We buy bread on sale and freeze it so we're okay for bread. Just one problem in our home with bread...I like dense heavy breads and my Mom loves light Wonder Bread type of bread.

3. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    We always seem to run out of salad items like lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber before the week is up. We tend to eat quite a bit of salad, but by the end of the week there simply isn't any salad items left so we end up eating a bit less healthily. We also seem to always be running out of bread although I'm really not sure where all the bread is going. We buy 2-3 loaves of bread a week. I only eat around 4 slices of that bread most weeks, so I guess the other 2 people in the house are eating more than a loaf of bread each in a week? I have no idea where it all goes!

4. lisasian86

lisasian86Member

Threads:
    Milk, coffee and lettuce. We drink a lot of coffee in our house so it's always running out and I love salads but an iceberg lettuce runs out quickly and you can't bulk buy lettuce because it spoils so fast.

5. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    In addition to what I have already mentioned, the bread and milk which runs out quickly, I should also mention fresh vegetables. Since we like to include vegetables with all of our meals, these tend to run out quickly too. We do not like to be without vegetables so it is one of the things we are always buying. Maybe when using them we could try using smaller portions at a time and this would cut back on having to buy them so often.

6. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    It has to be milk and juice in my house. I have two boys and they love milk. I buy 8L of milk each week and I am thinking of starting to buy 12L as I we go through 8L in about 6 weeks. If I didn't buy my milk at Costco I would be spending a fortune on milk. Thank goodness I have an extra fridge in my basement so I can store the extra bags of milk. Otherwise I would be going to the store every other day to buy milk.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not milk, not juice either but the ketchup and other sauces. But the most often that is on the grocery list is cooking oil. That makes it obvious that we are always frying, huh. In a week, maybe we have fried foods at least 4 times. And adding to that is the food of our dogs, their favorite is friend fish fillet and chicken drumstick.

Unlike other homes where they are frugal with food, my only concern is the wastage that's why I always tell everyone to just get enough ketchup that you could finish. I hate to see saucers with lots of leftover ketchup. But no matter if we are excessive in using food items, it's all right as long as they are not wasted.

8. J. Pitts

J. PittsNew Member

Threads:
    You're not the only one with the "bread problem"....smile. I can barely keep bread in the house. My brother has to have bread with every meal. He says that a meal is not complete without bread. Sometimes when I am out, he will call and say "Are you going to the store? If so, bring some bread". I think we have it under control now. By the way, on Sundays he's looking for cornbread.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    My mood changes constantly so depending on what I'm indulging in at any phase I'm in at the particular time that would be what I'm running out of the most. Though I guess what would be the constant ones on average would be condiments because I tend to use those with everything. I always run out of ketchup and mayonnaise as well as soy sauce and a few other seasonings and that's why I always make sure to never throw away the ketchup and condiment packets so we have some whenever the time comes that our ketchup bottles are empty but we haven't had the chance to shop yet.

10. Saundra Jackson

Saundra JacksonMember

Threads:
    Milk, Coffee and cat food. in our home we drink coffee a lot and also I have one big fat cat who always eats. He eats a lot and guess what , he's picky too. He don't like cheap cat food. And also He loves fresh fish and sour cream. So I have one extra picky little fat cat to take care of :)

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Usually the main ones, like butter, oil and milk. I have a really bad habit of only buy one of everything that I need so that I don't spend more than I should, and I always end up running out of the main ingredients in every meal. I also run out of bread sometimes easily, just because it does not last a lot. Not to mention fruit! I will buy it in a couple days later it Is rotten... Then I don't have breakfast to bring to work.

12. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I run out of bread quite a lot, but I don't eat all that much of it, so the reason that I run out is because it goes out of date. I don't have enough room in my freezer to be able to store it in there, which is a bit of a shame, as it means that I always have to throw some away. It is frustrating for me to have to do this, as I hate to waste food, but sometimes there isn't a lot that you can do about it.

13. Nero-Bianco

Nero-BiancoMember

Threads:
    We often run out of butter quite quickly. We like butter from grass fed cows so it is a bit more expensive than standard butter. We don't use a huge amount, maybe a couple of tablespoons a day. I always buy extra when it's on offer and freeze the extra. I also like to eat pasta and go through that quite quickly too. I should buy the biggest bags possible, but there's no where to keep them :confused:

14. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Definitely produce. I don't go to the store that frequently, and am able to stock up somewhat on frozen and canned goods, as well as other shelf stable ones, but produce spoils quickly, so I usually run out before it's time to go to the store again. I tend to keep some frozen and canned fruit and vegetables on hand for this reason. Sometimes I want to bake a fruit pie or other pastry, and I'm able to do that with the canned and frozen fruit, but I like to eat fresh vegetables and fruit as snacks, so sometimes I will have to make a quick run to the store to replenish the crispers.

15. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Mine has to be some sort of disease LOL I always buy bread and tomatoes, but somehow always sip them and let them spoil before I can get to them. Then I have to throw them out. Even still, when I go shopping, I always seem to still reach out for them. Maybe I should just quit buying them. But on the rare occasion I decide to give them a miss, I find I could really use them. Very strange!

16. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Mostly the perishable staples, since it's harder to buy them bulk.
    Think things like fruit, bakery bread, milk and eggs.
    I find with fresh bakery bread you don't even get a full 7 days until it starts to get moldy, but it's cheaper and much better then factory mass produced bread products.