What food item do you always keep in your house?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by rebellemckenna • Oct 4, 2012.

1. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    In general I always have fresh fruits and veggies to snack on. Lately though? Hummus. I know it's a little odd as a staple item but I just keep craving it lately!

2. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I usually keep canned goods, oatmeal, cereal, pasta and trail mix on hand. When money is tight, though, I am not able to keep food stocked up.

3. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ramen for some reason i'm like addicted to these soups haha so i always make sure i have some in my house they are my favorite.

4. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    It seems like I am always buying bananas and yogurt. It seems kind if strange, but they're both foods everyone in my family eats. Plus they're both cheap.

5. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I always keep some sort of fresh fruit - usually oranges, apples, or bananas, since they are great snacks and you can just pick one up and eat it. I also always have rice and pasta - and buy in bulk when they are on sale (not that they are expensive or anything). I try to keep some canned soup and canned vegetables on hand, just in case I get sick or can't go to the grocery store for whatever reason. I always have red potatoes and onions on hand, too. You can make a quick meal out of them or they can be hearty side dishes. They're easy to make, no matter what "style" of potatoes or onions you want. When I see a spice on sale (and the spice mix ones are great, too - such as Old Bay), I pick it up because you can revamp a dish and you can use them for a long time before you run out.

6. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Good question!

I always tend to keep the following items in the house no matter what:

- soup

- crackers

- orange juice (sometimes chocolate soy)

- bread

- cereal

- filtered water

- carrots

I work mostly from home, so having healthy snacks is imperative to maintaining a healthy die when you can't conduct enough exercise.

7. NadineTorres0910

NadineTorres0910New Member

Threads:
    Canned goods! haha, but anyway I've been keeping fruits from the table but most of the time i am comfortable when buying canned because that would take some time before worrying :D. I think this is because i travel a lot and that way myself adjusted to things that are more comfortable to handle.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Pasta and crushed tomatoes, always. Even on my brokest days, I can easily eat spaghetti every day and not feel like I'm being deprived or starving. It's like comfort food to me and it's inexpensive, and it's super easy to whip up some home made pasta sauce. I usually keep cans of tuna around as well to toss in the sauce as a cheap protein to round it out.

9. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Peanut Butter, Jelly, Bread and Butter. I like to snack during the day and I live on a shoe-string budget so there is that. Also if you've got these staples then you can also stretch whatever else you get in for longer.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, the headaches and flu like symptoms that I experience when I run out of coffee aren't worth it.
    I'd rather just keep extra backup cans of coffee around and monitor when I'm running low.
    Everyone has at least one vice, coffee is my drug and I need it.

11. Sobriety

SobrietyNew Member

Threads:
    I always have rice cooked and ready in the rice cooker, as well as a wide variety of snacks (chips, fruit snacks, brownies, all of those things) in the pantry. Usually, we have some form of chicken, pork, or beef in the fridge to be eaten with the rice. Then, there is bread with all of the filling as well. We also have fruits and vegetables ready to be eaten. For dessert, the fridge usually has Cookies and Cream or Cookie Dough ice creams.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a fruitaholic, so tons of fruit.

13. A.Pneuma

A.PneumaMember

Threads:
    i love snacks, i also love fruit and soft drinks

14. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I try to keep staples like pasta and rice that make it easier to throw together a meal with whatever is on hand. I like to always have onion and garlic available as well because I use them quite a lot when cooking. Another good thing to have on hand is soup stock because it has so many uses.

15. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    I love to have bananas, apples, and oranges to snack on too. I'm not too big on snacking on cucumbers. I would also eat watermelon slices. I also love tangerines, papayas, mangoes, and a fruit that we have here in Jamaica called naseberry.

16. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Aside from the low-callories cookies that i keep around to snack from time to time when watching a movie or something, the usual pasta, like spaghetti, is a must. When i don't know what to eat for dinner, most of the times is pasta.

17. yellowbird

yellowbirdMember

Threads:
    For some reason I always seem to have an avocado around in the kitchen, probably because I absolutely love them. :) They're also full of unsaturated fats, and other beneficial vitamins. Besides avocados, we always keep rice in the cabinet at all times because it's a versatile, inexpensive food that stretches for quite a while, and it tastes good! :)

18. FloraFauna

FloraFaunaMember

Threads:
    I would say that I tend to keep rice, pasta, bananas, apples, spinach, and chicken around. I buy plenty of other items, but those have become staples in my kitchen. I love snacking on the fruits, and the others, well, there are so many recipes out there that utilize those ingredients in some way.

19. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I always have fruits, especially banana. We also have vegetables. I can't last many days without it. I need to have my coffee too and a cup noodles for emergency purposes.

20. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

MELON!! I love melons and I have this type of seasoning I put over it that gives it a kick. So I always make sure to keep melon around it's my favorite snack.