What food item has the power to compel you to go get it at 2:00 AM, perhaps even in bad weather?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Kam147 • Oct 8, 2012.

1. Kam147

Kam147Member

Threads:
    This topic came to mind because a few minutes ago I went to check my fridge for the elements required to construct a proper Reuben sandwich. Bread, meat, sauerkraut, spicy mustard, Swiss cheese - NO SWISS CHEESE!! I will probably end up going to the store to get the cheese because the sandwich just isn't the same with any other cheese. It's almost 2:00 AM, and I'm seriously considering a trip to the 24-hour megastore for a package of cheese. What food item would make you do the same?

2. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    The one that might make me want to go to the supermarket at 2am is chocolate - Cadbury's fruit n nut :p

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I sometimes will do all of my grocery shopping around 1-2am in the morning, just because I cannot stand being in the grocery store with a lot of people. I love having the whole place pretty much to myself.

4. Kam147

Kam147Member

Threads:
    I often do the same thing. The megastore seems like a whole different place during the wee hours of the morning. It's actually quite pleasant. I usually take my headphones and listen to audiobooks while I'm shopping.

5. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Yes, that would send my husband out as well - he's a proper Cadbury's fruit and nut case! Personally, I don't think there's anything that would propel me out of the house at that hour. I hardly ever eat anything so late anyway, but I'd just find something else instead, and make a note to buy the item the next time I went shopping.

6. iRichard

iRichardMember

Threads:
    I also sometimes go to the supermarket at 2:00 AM in the morning to go get juices and frozen dinners when I am feeling hungry.

7. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think I'd go anywhere at 2 AM now. I did make a few trips for fast food in college at that hour. Now a days I might ask my husband to go get something. I sometimes have a craving for ice cream or something like a brownie.

8. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    Same here. My weakness is chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. Fortunately for my husband, I usually only have cravings in the early to late evening time.

9. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I have a gastronomical weakness: sweet food. I think I would undertake a trip to the store at that time only to buy some chocolate. Ice cream is one of those products that tempt me. From what I see, we have several that weakness for that kind of thing. I live near some stores that are open 24 hours, that's a big plus. Food cravings are often our most cruel enemies. The pleasure we get to meet these little quirks is immeasurable. So, summarizing, chocolates and ice cream. :p

10. Kam147

Kam147Member

Threads:
    I like the way you think - you're sensible:) Unfortunately, I am not, so while you sleep peacefully, I roam the aisles of the local 24-hour megastore. It's a good thing that there are probably more people like you than like me.

11. Kam147

Kam147Member

Threads:
    First, I would like to thank everyone for participating in this discussion. I have wanted to ask this question for quite some time, but I never knew how to do so. Also, I find it interesting how different our late-night cravings are. I spent many years working the "graveyard" shift, so I'm used to eating normal meals during those hours. It appears that chocolate rules the day as the late-night munchie of choice:)

12. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    Pizza from pizza hut! :D I'm a pizza addict and I don;t think that I could sleep if I haven't eaten my favorite pizza if my satiety urges me.

13. Kam147

Kam147Member

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of Pizza Hut, but I'm definitely a fan of late-night pizza. It is certainly one of those cravings that has the power to keep me searching until the urge has been satisfied.

14. soulglazed

soulglazedMember

Threads:
    Chicken wings! I'm a fiend for them and eat them multiple times a week, a lot of times I'll get an insane urge and need to eat them as soon as possible. Chocolate used to be that way too but not as much nowadays.

15. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I'd have to go with chicken wings too (spicy chicken wings) and a nice coleslaw dip for them.

16. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There used to be an after hours joint near my place that would make incredible gyros. I would always get them with a side of fried clam strips.

17. Nattsurfaren

NattsurfarenNew Member

Threads:
    This is a no-brainer for me and the answer is ice cream of course. you said late at night after bedtime, done that. You said in a really bad weather, done that. Have I done that late at night in a bad weather: Of course!
    Was it worth it?
    Definitely!

18. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I lived in Las Vegas, I would go grocery shopping between 10pm and midnight in the summer time. It's normal to see entire family out and about at that time. It was just too hot during the daytime to shop.

I no longer live in Las Vegas, so the only thing that could make me go to the store at that time is chocolate. I have developed an awful devotion to dark chocolate almonds. If the store is out of dark chocolate almonds, dark chocolate cashews will do.

19. almari_011

almari_011Member

Threads:
    My favorite midnight snack is chicken nuggets/chicken wings. I would go out if there's none in the fridge. Heck I would even go out even if it's raining and all. :)) I just love it. Thankfully, whenever the stocks are low in the fridge, there's just McDonalds across the street. :)

20. Kam147

Kam147Member

Threads:
    almari_011 - Since you are a fan of chicken nuggets for a midnight snack, I'll let you in on my chicken nugget/chicken finger guilty pleasure. Get you some good chicken nuggets or chicken fingers, some mozzarella cheese sticks (all frozen stuff), some hoagie rolls, and a jar of your favorite red pasta sauce. Fry up your chicken and cheese sticks, heat up your red sauce, then build a hoagie with chicken, cheese sticks, and red sauce. It is OUT OF SIGHT good!!